Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Electricity on YT?
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 12:21 pm
I agree, the baseline is shabbes and kashrus (and th, although this one you can't know what people do, and there are lax Mo who claim they're Mo despite not doing it, but I personally disagree), but for us, we are keeping kosher, despite doing "not great but tolerated" things. If we thought we kept kosher style, we would have everything but pork, like the traditional!

Same for shabbes. The mothers I see pushing carriages think they are keeping shabbes despite doing something most communities tolerate but that is not good, or they would just take the car...

As a child I lived in an area with many ultra Orthodox families (the kind with the little girls in tights at 3). Sometimes I would see a frum mother pushing a carriage on shabbes, because "she has the right to go out too"...

I know the standards are very different outside of France and some other European countries (I have seen similar behaviours in Belgium, Italy and Switzerland). Maybe the next generations will be more machmir with more education (15 years ago no woman kept tznius and hair covering and most kids where sent to public school except the ultra frum for example).

Our local conservatives ("libéral") keep almost nothing. They have a buffet during YK, so you can imagine the rest. They say only the mitzvos you want to take upon yourself are binding, so they keep what they like, or what "speaks" to them. Even the non believers see them as totally funny and non serious.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 12:22 pm
Of course I totally accept your appology, I know you didn't mean to be mean Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics