Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Sheitels
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Tovah

Post Mon, Oct 18 2004, 5:27 pm
I didn't really sell sheitels but any sheitel macher that sells you a sheitel if something goes wrong usually will have it fixed for you.

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 18 2004, 5:31 pm
Tova you didn't really sell sheitals.... what is that supposed to mean? Confused

Tovah

Post Mon, Oct 18 2004, 5:43 pm
I sold 5, where I lived there weren't very many frum ladies who wore sheitels, anyways I prefer not to, less hassel and back & forth stuff. I rather wash and set it's more fun!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 19 2004, 4:50 pm
I have a problem of the oposit sort. I guess my head is small bec my snood never stays on at night which is a big problem esp when I'm nidda. I thought I was the only one with this problem but at a shiur we discussed it and others are dealing with it too. I even have one snood that the first 2 times I wear it after I wash it, it is so tight it gives me a headache, but after that it also falls off! Please give me advice on what to do so my snood stays on. Maybe theree is s/t else that stays on better at night.

imasenior

Post Tue, Oct 19 2004, 11:15 pm
About shetles that slip off: If you are comfortable with bubby pins than do the Israeli trick - put a simple snood with bubby pins and than cover it with your beautiful one. For the night I pull my snood down till my eyes and sometime even ON my eyes and it always stays!!! Good luck!
A mother and grandmother Smile

Bell

Post Sat, Oct 23 2004, 9:54 pm
I kind of discovered a tip for covering hair @ night, I put on a snood, then, weather permitting, I put on a sweatshirt with a hood, I keep it over my head the whole night & it pretty much stays, then in the morning, when the babys screaming or for whatever other reason I have to get out of bed quick I dont panick looking for my tichel, esp in the cark, b/c its in my hood of my sweatshirt, AND I still have my hood on incase of "emergency"

Tefila

Post Sat, Oct 23 2004, 9:59 pm
Bell, that sounds cool 8)

happyduck

Post Mon, Oct 25 2004, 2:58 pm
RG wrote:
I hear from sheitel machers that allegra sheitels are beautiful but after a year they look like a shmatte no matter what you do.

I have an allegria sheitle and was one of the first people to have one (as I ahve been getting my sheitles from her since before she had her own line). I have had my sheitle and my hat far for 4 years and they still look as good as the day I bought them. I recommend her to all my friends and so far I have not heard anyone who was disappointed. Just wanted to put the posative out there as well

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 25 2004, 5:07 pm
shalom happy duck you're pics remind me of one of my boys who is a healthy tall great looking teen now and no that is not only based on my say so!! he was a twin born 27 wks 13-14 yrs ago. twin A, passed on to olam shel emes 1day later and twin B at 2lb 5oz survived is healthy and one would never have known 14 yrs later.ka"h.
You're daughter looks mischeivous is she or are looks decieving Wink

Last edited by Tefila on Sat, Oct 30 2004, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

CS

Post Mon, Oct 25 2004, 6:25 pm
hi happyduck - thanks for sharing the pictures - your daughter looks delicious.

thanks for the news about allegras - I also heard some not so good things about them - they are so beautiful and light, I would love to have one

also, I am a native Torontonian - it's nice to see a fellow landsman

happyduck

Post Mon, Oct 25 2004, 11:00 pm
lol, very mischeivious and I love it Smile

RolickingRahel

Post Sun, Oct 31 2004, 10:06 am
Back 2 the Shaitel thing,

I don't mean 2 burst anyone's happy shaitelicious bubble but did you really think about what these woman are? Let's take your classic human sheitel from Europe ,Russia, India, wherever, What did the non jewish original owners of this hair do with their lives? Confused Was it an inspiring toradik lifestyle or kinda grrrross? I mean the Rabbanim say all of a person's tuma goes into her hair, so we take all the aveira's of this goya and wear them IKSA, Yuck! I think it is much more reasonable to get a nicely done synthetic (TZNIUT according to almost all poskim not past the neck or bandfall or a fake skin part See R'blumenkrantz's rules in his book OZ V' Hadar L'vusha or Its reprint in the Yated Neeman) Or Just wear a pretty tichel or hat. The non jews/ rest of the world already KNOWS we are different and proudly wear modest dress.We should also be proud of the crown on our head. I know the Lubavicher Rebbe z'tz'l was for sheitels because it covered the hair better, but there must be Mashpiot that hold of covering hair like many Chassidishe / Sephardi/Shtark ladies do in Israel. 1. Wear a tightfitting under-snood/(tie back hair in a pony/bun if needs be) 2. Weal a big tichel/ beret/ hat/ snood on top. Tichels are really fun, beautiful and even instyle in America. There are a ton of styles. ansd if anyone needs info on how to tie them get back 2 me! Wink Wink Wink Wink

zuncompany

Post Sun, Oct 31 2004, 11:24 am
Understand your point. However and I am being honest... the synthetics first of all give me a headache. I can feel them heavy on my head. I would honestly cry every day if I had to wear one. I feel bubbieish and it hurts. Your are not supposed to regret a mitzvah or do it with a heavy heart. You should do it with love and joy. Putting on my beautiful shaytel that makes me feel good, and doesn't give me blazing headaches I enjoy the mitzvah. I was advised by someone close to me not to get a synthetic for any reasons... she told me learn from her experiance. When she first got married they only had synthetics. She would refuse to go out of her house because it hurt and she felt ugly. When the customs came out and were semi affordable her husband went right away and had one made for her. For the first time she enjoyed going out. She felt pretty again. She felt confident. She told me not to make the same mistake. I got a new shaytel pesach time. It is hand made and truthfully my whole self took on a new form. I felt confident again. I felt pretty. My husband was in shock, I actually put makeup on.

About snoods, tichels, etc... outside. The Rebbe was very against that. Thats why at first I wouldn't wear out. Than I learned the sicha or miamer (can't remember which it was) where he talked about why one shouldn't. He had some great points... first of all yes, they might seem fashionable, but people don't take you seriously if you wear. Many places it is deamed "rude" to wear a hat or hair covering inside. Also, when you are walking down the street and you see someone you know that you haven't seen for a while... what do you do? ( Now, when I first read this I was like no way. I don't do that. Than I realize...whoa... I do! Gave me a little umf to be careful about always wearing my shaytel out)A woman will fix her hair. Well if you have snood, hat, or whatnot its so easy to take it off or it to become unsniousick. So easy (I had a bad experiance once when a neighbor came to borrow some flour, and I went to "fix my hair" and I did take my snood right off. Oh man was I bright red. She was sweet and let me know sniously that I was missing something. I didn't even realize it was gone!).

Thats my 2 cents:)
Sara

shayna

Post Mon, Nov 01 2004, 10:27 am
ok I hear you all and everyone is entitled to her opinion. The fact that we have to cover our hair all together I find hard ,my opinion iseveryone should do what they feel is comfortable as long as they are following halacha...whether synthetic, human, tichels or snoods you have to be comfortable and happy. As for different Rebbeim let them wear a sheitel or tichel for a week and then get back to me. Wink

And they uncovered her hair outside the walls.
they do not specify what she was wearing.

sarahd

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 5:42 pm
Here's a sure-fire solution for snoods falling off at night: My mother once mentioned to one of her very chassidish cousins how difficult it is for her to keep her tichel (pre-snood era) on at night. The cousin answered, "Shave your hair and I guarantee you you'll make very sure your tichel will never fall off again!" How about it, people? LOL LOL

Rivka

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 6:21 pm
Hey, if you shave your hair off there will be no need for tichels, snoods or sheitels, man alive there is no hair to cover, so make sure to wax it so it shines and to make it all even shave off your eyebrows too! Tongue Out
I don't agree with the not wearing a hat outside, I do, I don't wear it for work, but if I go to the shop or something and my sheitel drives me mad and I can't stand it, I wear a hat out and the only time I touch it is to make sure it's still on my head and that it is covering my hair especially when I see someone I know, girls play with their hair when they see a guy they fancy.
Also to the one who says to think about who we get our hair from some non Jew who might be doing what not. Well do you know who makes your clothes? Hair is dead and also I didn't ask to cover my hair I do it coz I have to so why make it worse saying only wear synthetic stuff that looks terrible and if you have hair longer than your ears you can never look good in one.
Also because we are doing it just for the mitzvah I don't believe if we had a choice we would wear them as they cost an arm and a leg, then it doesn't matter who's hair it was coz by wearing it, it has elevated it.
Anyway, you can buy a Church for use as a shul and that is ok.

Tefila

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 6:26 pm
Quote:
girls play with their hair when they see a guy they fancy

Where do ya get that from. Surprised My 2yr old touches her hair but I assure you not for that reason Smile
and
Quote:
I have to so why make it worse saying only wear synthetic stuff that looks terrible and if you have hair longer than your ears you can never look good in one.

It is true good synthetics only look good for 6-8mnths! But I can assure you my hair is longer than my ears........ And the sheital still looks good on me not just my say so mind you! What I don't understand is that people will say yeah, but it doesn't feel soft like real hair..... Who cares noone should be touching to begin with and as far as hubby is conc he has my real hair...... go figure Rolling Eyes

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, Nov 19 2004, 12:53 am
Quote:
girls play with their hair when they see a guy they fancy
this is tru!!! (not in 2 yr old, though - too young Wink)

Quote:
sure-fire solution for snoods falling off at night: <...>Shave your hair

I remember that, still laugh & tell people about it!!! Wink 8)

As far as going out in tichels: would you go out in your bathRobe? Once in a while I ware tichle, but to a jewish place only. It looks like you took a shower & didn't have time to dry your hair.
Hat is something that is excepted as outdoor clothing; I ware hats a lot.
Also, the new snoods - the bandanas - actualy look nice & neat.
The truth is this is a matter of what is comfortable & what people around us accept as clothing. As a former outsider to the Judaism, I can tell you that when I saw a lady with a 'towel' on her head, it looked a bit disrespectful - I mean you wouldn't go out w/ a towel, would you? Now I understand, but it doesn't make it any better in the eyes of those who don't. And we're supposed to be a light onto the nations.....

About tuma in the hair - nobody seems to have a problem w/ goish cleaning ladies, repairman, landscapers, builders, etc.

chestnut

Post Fri, Nov 19 2004, 10:33 am
Quote:
Also, the new snoods - the bandanas - actualy look nice & neat.

I personally wouldn't look good in bandanas, but my friends tell me they loosen around the head in no time

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, Nov 19 2004, 10:42 am
it depends on the fabric.
I have a few & I love them, b/c I can control the tightness -
hence no discomfort.
I use ponytale holders to keep them from loosening -
wrap the extra fabric around my hair in the back & secure w/ a ponitale holder
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels