Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Satmar protest against Israel/Netanyahu's speech
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:02 am
Is this sending mixed signals to Obama who was already against Netanyahu speaking to congress? Is this Satmar protest dangerous to Israel or is it irrelevant? http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-.....45245

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:08 am
just wanted to point out that there may have been many satmar individuals involved, but true torah Jews is not a satmar orginzation. its not neturei karta either, but true Torah Jews has a variety of different Jews ranging from chassidish to brisk to even Litvish.

Maya

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:16 am
Satmar has been staging these protests for decades. Has it ever done any harm, or are they just viewed as those fanatics with a minority opinion?

I do not know the answer to that.

Barbara

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:22 am
Why can't people protest without demonizing these days?

I remain opposed to Netanyahu speaking in Congress to criticize US policy. I think that a nuclear deal with Iran could be a good idea, depending on the constraints imposed and how much oversight there is. I don't think that anyone who disagrees with me -- including Netanyahu and Boehner -- are Amalek or Haman.

(I am irked by the reference to Netanyahu in certain articles and editorials as "Bibi." It shows a lack of respect for the position he holds.)

youngishbear

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:25 am
Barbara wrote:

(I am irked by the reference to Netanyahu in certain articles and editorials as "Bibi." It shows a lack of respect for the position he holds.)

Is it more so than Bill or Chuck or d!ck? Asking in all sincerity.

pause

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:25 am
I did not open the link but this is my response:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Barbara

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:31 am
youngishbear wrote:
Is it more so than Bill or Chuck or d!ck? Asking in all sincerity.

Just to clarify. I mean calling him "Bibi," not "Bibi Netanyahu." If an article or Op Ed were discussing the Clinton presidency, I would not expect it to refer to "William Jefferson Clinton." He used "Bill Clinton"; I have no problem with that. But referring to him as "Bill" alone is disrespectful.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:34 am
The Satmar opinion is that this snub of the US president could lead to even more antisemitism in America amongst the population. In general, the Zionist state was founded with hisgarus beumos (can't transliterate this, not sure exactly how to), basically that its existence incites the nations of the world against us. Sadly, he was very right with that.

They feel it is important to point out that Judaism does not equal zionism, and that just because someone out there opposes the State of Israel does not mean you need to hate Jews.

(FTR, the Rebbe also said that a nonjew who hates the State does so not because he read the Rebbe's sefer but because he hates Jews. So I'm not sure exactly how he hoped to change that with protests, but he believed them to be vital in his fight against the kfirahdig State.)

Me? I'm just annoyed that the kids came home early from school on such a hectic day...

youngishbear

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:34 am
Barbara wrote:
Just to clarify. I mean calling him "Bibi," not "Bibi Netanyahu." If an article or Op Ed were discussing the Clinton presidency, I would not expect it to refer to "William Jefferson Clinton." He used "Bill Clinton"; I have no problem with that. But referring to him as "Bill" alone is disrespectful.

I agree with you, then.

livinginisrael

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:41 am
why did the kids come home early from school?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:48 am
livinginisrael wrote:
why did the kids come home early from school?

To allow the school employees to attend, I guess.

For what it's worth, I agree that allowing Netanyahu to state that he is the spokesperson for the Jewish people and leave that unchallenged is not very wise.

And it's important to state publicly that Jews living in America are loyal citizen, as the spokesperson in the article was quoted as saying. Does anyone really disagree with this?

Heyaaa

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:56 am
amother wrote:
To allow the school employees to attend, I guess.

For what it's worth, I agree that allowing Netanyahu to state that he is the spokesperson for the Jewish people and leave that unchallenged is not very wise.

And it's important to state publicly that Jews living in America are loyal citizen, as the spokesperson in the article was quoted as saying. Does anyone really disagree with this?

He assumed that he's the spokesperson for the Jewish people bec he assumed that all Jews don't want more than half of our nation to be murdered in one blow. Do you disagree?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:57 am
Maya wrote:
Satmar has been staging these protests for decades. Has it ever done any harm, or are they just viewed as those fanatics with a minority opinion?

I do not know the answer to that.

The BDS movement is gaining momentum in American colleges. They just recently "won" in California-- http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/21178/
Also, 700 artists are boycotting Israel as well. http://rt.com/news/232471-arti.....ians/
And thats just the beginning. If they realize that Satmar, a group of Jews, is on their side ie anti Israel then how much more power will it give them to continue with their desire to destroy Israel?

sequoia

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 11:04 am
why is this interesting? It's boring. They do this every time. At every single pro Israel event. I have been to many, and there they always are, holding up signs that say "Judaism opposes Israel" or whatever.

gp2.0

I don't understand what the Satmar protestors are doing anymore at this point. Do they realize that If they got their wish and we all woke up tomorrow and there was no more Israel, no more Jewish government, just a bunch of Jewish people living in the midst of lawless countries who hate them - don't they realize there would be mass genocide c'v? How can they be so stupid? Don't they realize all the Jews in Israel would die? At this point, having an Israeli Jewish government goes beyond wanting a zionistic state - it is pikuach nefesh for every Jewish person in eretz yisroel. Do they really not realize this???

grace413

amother wrote:
In general, the Zionist state was founded with hisgarus beumos (can't transliterate this, not sure exactly how to), basically that its existence incites the nations of the world against us. Sadly, he was very right with that.

That makes sense, seeing how much the nations of the world loved us before. Not.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 11:05 am
Heyaaa wrote:
He assumed that he's the spokesperson for the Jewish people bec he assumed that all Jews don't want more than half of our nation to be murdered in one blow. Do you disagree?

No one wants to see a single Jew murdered Ch"v.

And with that he and I are on the same page. I must admit I did not yet listen to his speech (my kids were home early, lol) so I'm not sure whether I would agree with all or some or none of what he said.

I just wouldn't trust a politician to be the spokesman for world Jewry. From what I understand there was plenty of kochi veotzem yadi in his speech (second hand info, so not sure exact details) and that I most certainly disagree with.

Look, we can turn this into a debate about zionism and the shittah, but this time at least I don't see why there's anything to argue about. Netanyahu doesn't speak for all of us. Some of us Jews (notably, Barbara) disagree with many of his alarmist political points, as well. I don't want Iran to produce nuclear weapons, Hashem Yishmor. But for Netanyahu to come here in the name of Americam and world Jewry and tell our government to do what our president disagrees with is just shock . The call for French Jews to make aliyah is similarly disconcerting.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 11:10 am
Barbara wrote:
Why can't people protest without demonizing these days?

I remain opposed to Netanyahu speaking in Congress to criticize US policy. I think that a nuclear deal with Iran could be a good idea, depending on the constraints imposed and how much oversight there is. I don't think that anyone who disagrees with me -- including Netanyahu and Boehner -- are Amalek or Haman.

I "liked" your post for its civil tone and I am largely in agreement. I don't know if it was politic for Netanyahu to come. But I definitely have reservations with the US trying for an agreement with Iran. Some of the soundbites I've heard from the WH show a lot of naivete. And I need to look into this more to see if my understanding is simplistic, but is it true that the focus on a deal with Iran is leading to the US being on the wrong side of the Russia-Ukraine issue?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 11:12 am
amother wrote:
The BDS movement is gaining momentum in American colleges. They just recently "won" in California-- http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/21178/
Also, 700 artists are boycotting Israel as well. http://rt.com/news/232471-arti.....ians/
And thats just the beginning. If they realize that Satmar, a group of Jews, is on their side ie anti Israel then how much more power will it give them to continue with their desire to destroy Israel?

Talk about twisting things around. Satmar tries to separate the two ideas, Judaism and Zionism, so that hating the latter won't necessarily be equated with the former.

Have they succeeded? It doesn't seem so. But harmed? I don't think so, either. The Palestinians are not getting any moral support from these protests to do anything that they didn't yet before.

Regarding the nations of the world hating us before the State's founding, how on earth does that make it okay to incite them further with arrogance and impudence? In golus we should not lift our hand up against the nations of the world.

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 11:12 am
Does anyone really think in their heart of hearts that the Satmar etc who protested Netanyahu's speech and the existence of Israel, dressed so weirdly in the eyes of mainstream America, most can barely communicate in English, looked like anything but insane individuals, no matter their message? They're just another reason to hate and mock Jews. Also, does anyone really think that all the Israel haters who protested, now have fondness for any Jews, even those who protested with them?

Heeeeeee heeeee. C'mon.
Page 1 of 10   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics