Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Hot dogs in blankets recipe anyone?

fbc

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 1:02 pm
I found a recipe for saucy franks in the kids in the kitchen cookbook. Im working on my shabbos menu and would like to make a shabbosdik version of the recipe. I feel that maybe adding the "blanket" would do the trick. But I'm fairly new at all this cooking, and am not into all this experimenting...if I make this frank recipe and just add puff pastry dough over it, egg it, and throw it in the oven, would that work? Or does anyone have a tried and true recipe for this? Or should I b lazy and just buy a box of frozen ones?

chillax

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 1:11 pm
Yup, that's what I do.
I don't know the recipe you're referring to but I just cut up hot dogs, wrap in puff pastry and bake.

fbc

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 1:15 pm
How long do u bake them for?

mommyofboygirls

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 1:26 pm
I do it with fillo dough instead of puff pastry. It's very easy. Use several sheets of fillo dough cut to fit the hot dogs (four is good), my husband likes it with a ton of sheets (like 10 sheets! crazy!), roll up the hot dog inside of it, brush the outside of it with olive oil if you want (I rarely do it because it just seems to be an aesthetic thing with these, and I also never brush between the layers of fillo dough because too much work for little payoff), and stick in the oven at 350 for like 30 minutes until the fillo dough is browned on top (I put them in the oven at the temp and length that the fillo dough calls for on the box). They are great. Dip them in mustard.

Edit: you said tried and true recipe, so I want to say yes this is tried and true. I make these allllll the time.

fbc

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 1:34 pm
Is there any maalah to doing it with fillo dough rather than puff pastry? I tried using fillo dough for deli roll this week and didn't like how it came out. Could be I just did it wrong? It kept cracking and shrivelling up, didn't look nice. So I'd like to try puff pastry, I think. Would that affect the baking time?

coconutbutter

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 1:52 pm
In my house my brothers would either spread the dough with duck sauce, or mustard/ketchup mixture and mmmm....just saying....

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 1:53 pm
filo dough is quite flakey

puff pastry puffs up with a nice crunch on the outside but not like paper thin

I personally slice each hotdog into quarters - length & width then broil them first - cut each puff pastry square into 1/4s & roll up with the broiled frank at an angle in center ... then bake till dough is browned & ready

don't know about sauce

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 2:02 pm
I just smear a little mustard on puff pastry dough squaeres. Then after rolling up with the hot dog I coat with an egg. The whole thing from start to finish takes a few minutes. Bake for about 30 min. or until they look ready. I never have any left overs and my kids love this treat.

fbc

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 2:06 pm
Ok thanks everyone! Will try it out Smile

mommyofboygirls

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 2:08 pm
fbc wrote:
Is there any maalah to doing it with fillo dough rather than puff pastry? I tried using fillo dough for deli roll this week and didn't like how it came out. Could be I just did it wrong? It kept cracking and shrivelling up, didn't look nice. So I'd like to try puff pastry, I think. Would that affect the baking time?

I just do it with fillo because it's what my MIL does and my husband loves it. I think she does it fillo because maybe it's more readily available in Israel than puff pastry. Mine hasn't cracked and shriveled in the oven but it gets pretty flaky all over the place when you bite it. I don't do anything but roll up the hot dog and stick it in the oven. Bet it's great with puff pastry. And prettier too Smile

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 5:34 pm
fbc wrote:
How long do u bake them for?
about 12-15 minutes at 350, until golden brown

heidi

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 5:36 pm
I unroll a bit of puff pastry (which they sell all over Israel by the way) and lay two hot dogs end to end . Roll up the dough and press down the sides. Then cut . Takes maybe 2 minutes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics