Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What should the appropriate course of action be?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 2:57 pm
I work at an all boys' school in the NY area--which means it doesn't close very easily. I'm the permanent sub for English, which means I report as usualy every day, and they usually need me. Monday I was supposed to report to work as usual at 1:30pm. I live in a different, and significantly farther, neighborhood than most of my colleagues, and carpooling wasn't an option. I called the pricnipal in the morning when inquiring about if school would be running as usual and she told me yes. I told her that I felt a little uneasy driving in the snow, but I had an appointment in the morning and would see how the roads are. When I set out for work after my appointment it was already snowing steadily. The major highway was already rather slick and it would have taken me extra time to get there b/c I would've had to drive extra slowly and I would've been late. Furthermore, if the "Blizzard warning" had already started, and the conditions were supposed to deteriorate further as the day went on, I was really nervous about my commute home. I called to say that I didn't feel safe coming in. The principal said she understood, but that she didn't know if it could be "for free", I.e. it would likely be counted as a "sick/personal" day. While I understand that I left them an employee short that day, somehow I don't feel that it was fair to insist on me coming in in that weather, considering the distance I would be driving. Also, to further demonstrate my point just continuing on to home I nearly got into 2 accidents because of the slippery roads--and this was at about 2pm--that's how long it took me to get home! Imagine what it would have been like at 5pm? Should I try to negotiate that day back? Should I try to compromise? I currently have the days so I won't lose a day of pay, but I was counting on using that day in the near future, and I don't really want to lose the pay if I don't have to. What should I do?

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 3:17 pm
If the kids had school, I don't see why thet shouldn't count it as a day off. Your commute isn't their problem, right?

I wish they would be nice about this, though. Can it hurt to try?

Leahh

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 3:22 pm
I agree with youngishbear. Your commute is not their problem and if they are open you are obligated to figure out a way to get there. If you cant, then it's your personal problem so you lose.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 4:03 pm
Op here, I hear that point, but I think part of the problem was that the storm got messier earlier than expected and I don't think anyone thought it would be so bad at that point, and many schools were letting out early, but their school wasn't since this area isn't usually so heavily affected by snow due to the geographic locatinon. The principal didn't say it would "for sure" count as a personal day, just "I don't think it can..
, but how can I diplomatically ask that the road conditions be taken into account?

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 4:18 pm
We live an hours drive from my husbands work place & he never gets paid if he can't go in due to the weather.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 4:28 pm
I work an hour away from home. In a hospital so it doesn't close. There is no option of not being there. Some of Tuesdays staff came in Monday night to make sure they'd make it safely. Sorry but I don't think you have a case. (Oh, and I don't get paid time off).

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 4:36 pm
OP wasn't asking for our opinions, but rather, for advice about how to make her case.

My suggestion is to ask for meeting time, and then, ask, "I wondered if you had given more thought to how you were going to treat the Monday of the snowstorm, in terms of pay." You will hear what she was thinking and why, and get some sense of how strongly she feels about it. You can then say, if you hear that it was not going to be granted as a freebie, "I was hoping you might reconsider, based on the difficult driving conditions. I'm not sure this was quite like taking a personal day."

Be prepared for rejection. But if you think it's worth asking, then ask.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics