Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Want to go to Switzerland

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 2:29 pm
Have you been there?
Any recommendations?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 2:49 pm
Eat chocolate.

Lots and lots of yummy kosher swiss chocolate.

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 2:51 pm
I really feel like I need to get away. I want to go somewhere relaxing and beautiful.

Anyone want to come?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 3:06 pm
City? suburb? countryside? mountains? modern? old? charedi? MO? Ashky? Sefardi? You have it all.

I have liked Zurich (heimish food), Basel (nice, zoo, laid back) and the mountains. The countryside can be really "exotic" in someplaces very old Europe. For shopping it's Geneva

Download the kosher list

life is fun

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 4:01 pm
Luzern or Arosa in the mountains with a kosher hotel

cool_mama

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 5:41 pm
I'm from Zurich! If you pay my ticket I'll take you around 😉😜

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 5:45 pm
OP, Switzerland definitely has different attraction whether you go in the summer or in the winter.
Winter is very much ski destination. We tend to go (for holiday) in the summer, which are cheaper,
less crowded. We like mostly hiking, stock up kosher provisions and supplement with local supermarkets (CoOp or Migros, there's a very good kosher list published by a few swiss communities) and self-cater.

I love areas near Gstaad, Lucern, Interlaken/Thun/Spiez. Closer to Zurich, Rheinfall is amazing.
Airports are efficient and conveniently located, and I'm a big fan of swiss railroads.

Having said that, Swiss Franc has appreciated quite a lot against other currencies, so Swiss holiday--which was not cheap to start with--is more expensive. Nowadays I prefer to go to French Alps (fly into Geneve and go out on the French border side) which is less expensive.

Ruchel, for shopping I'll swap Geneve for Paris anytime!!!

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:29 pm
I'm interested in scenery. Lots of grass, flowers, waterfalls. And... quiet.

life is fun

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:36 pm
Now in the winter? On the mountains you will more likely find snow, no grass....

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:37 pm
miriam5 wrote:
Now in the winter? On the mountains you will more likely find snow, no grass....

You're right. Gonna wait for the summer.

life is fun

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:41 pm
Summer is beautiful in the mountains. Was there this year, had flowers, grass, scenery, mountains, glacier, cable cars, silence and good weather b"h. Wallis is a nice area to go to

wife613

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 4:31 am
I too am from Zurich. If you want scenery then summer is certainly better, but depending where and when you go, you may bump into lots and lots of other jews who have come for their vacation. There are many nice day trips you can do from the city, which means you wouldn't have to try and find a kosher hotel open at the time you want to go and could go off-peak which could work out a drop cheaper. Good luck with the planning!!

JMM-uc

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 4:37 am
I'm not really into touring (although I'll probably do some of that) I want a quiet relaxing place where I can meditate and just forget my worries. In my mind such a place would have flowers and waterfalls (that relaxes me) but I don't know if such a place exists.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 7:09 am
Definitely Mrs Bissli! if the choice is Paris vs Geneva, on all points I choose Paris (minyanim, food, shopping wtv).

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 3:23 pm
JustMeMyself wrote:
I'm not really into touring (although I'll probably do some of that) I want a quiet relaxing place where I can meditate and just forget my worries. In my mind such a place would have flowers and waterfalls (that relaxes me) but I don't know if such a place exists.

There are plenty of places like that. The main drawback is that they aren't always so accessible. For example, we spent a couple of summers in a place called Bivio. It's a tiny village about half an hour from St. Moritz. Quiet, waterfalls, flowers, grass. Relatively cheap, too. Drawback: no direct train service. You have to take two trains and a bus. But peace and quiet - that they have in abundance.

MimsCH

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 3:51 pm
I live in zurich. there are plenty of options for you. question is how much you're willing to spend.

JMM-uc

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 4:00 pm
MimsCH wrote:
I live in zurich. there are plenty of options for you. question is how much you're willing to spend.

I didn't think this through yet. I'll pm you when I know more. Thank you!

cool_mama

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 4:14 pm
St moritz is one of the nicest place in Switzerland! Sorrow fed Bh mountains and a lot of grass and flowers!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics