Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
How to stretch salmon (for a simcha) TIME SENSITIVE
1  2  Next

Liebs

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 7:14 am
I want to serve salmon for the first course at a simcha for 50 people (but too expensive for a whole piece)/
What is a delicious recipe over pasta that I can make? I amserving it buffet style so will set plate of pasta with cubes over.
Need to make it this week!!!

abound

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 7:16 am
I sometimes just do terriaki cubes and bake/broil for a few minutes. I put it over a lettuce salad with a small (shnapps cup) of some sort of dressing.
I do this Yom tov when ppl want fish but are sick of eating too much of it.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 7:16 am
you don't need a full size piece if its for a starter...ask the fishmonger to cut it into starter size portions.

But ive seen cubed salmon served over sesame noodles.

wifeandmore

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 8:08 am
Or you can do salmon knishes. Or on skewers.

chaiz

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 8:11 am
Sushi salad.

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 8:48 am
Puff pastry rolled with salmon and mashed potatoes inside. Cut roll and place face up

sky

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 9:23 am
Salmon skewers. You can do 2 pieces to one skewer. Just make sure the skewers are short. I got short pretty bamboo skewers that were very short so it didn't look empty.
I marinated in brown sugar and teriyaki and soy sauce (recipe in kosher by design original). threaded onto skewers and sprinkled on toasted black and white sesame seeds and baked. It needs something else on the plate not to be empty.
It was still expensive.
I ordered 22 pieces of salmon at 7.99 per lb, 8.5 lbs total. I skinned and cubed the salmon myself because skinned was 9.99\lb and cubed was 11.99\lb. I got 43 servings + 6 smaller children servings (from the skinnier ends of the salmon)
I asked them to cut the salmon slices 1 inch thick. It could have been slightly thinner.

I hope that helps.

Liebs

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 9:31 am
Raisin wrote:
you don't need a full size piece if its for a starter...ask the fishmonger to cut it into starter size portions.

But ive seen cubed salmon served over sesame noodles.

Thank you everyone!

Looking for this recipe over sesame noodles. Anyone have it?

Doing buffet style with other salads, sushi platter and dips with rolls.
Main will be pre plated and served but this is course 1.

I don't want to patchka with dough.
Do I cube before bake or it gets too dry?

sbs

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 9:44 am
you can do it on a skewer and lay that over the sesame noodles

you cube before baking otherwise it will fall apart when you cut it

on a skewer you only need 3-4 cubes

Liebs

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 9:46 am
how long and what temp do you bake it on?

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 9:49 am
here's a link to a recipe. http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....odles Although I like the fresh salad idea. Also, tbh, this idea works best when plated. I'm not so sure it will work on a buffet..but I guess you could skewer the salmon, arrange them nicely on platter or in a jar, and serve the salad separately. Not everyone will take the salmon so you will have more that way.

JuliaB

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 9:50 am
Salmon Caesar Salad

Marinate salmon cubes in soy sauce, lemon juice, dijon mustard, and black pepper
Bake at 350 until done 5-10 minutes
Add salmon to finely cut up romaine lettuce
Add croutons and dressing

Caesar dressing:
1 c Mayo
1 TBS Dijon mustard
1 TBS Worcester sauce
Juice from 1-2 lemons
2 frozen garlic cubes
salt/pepper

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 9:52 am
sbs wrote:
you can do it on a skewer and lay that over the sesame noodles

you cube before baking otherwise it will fall apart when you cut it

on a skewer you only need 3-4 cubes

Rather than cubes on a skewer, I've done a very thin, narrow piece threaded on the skewer. I served it plated. it was 2 skewers of terikyaki salmon -- the salmon pieces were very small -- criscrossed over a plate (dividing it) with sesame noodles in one section and snap peas in the other. It was a gorgeous presentation and got rave reviews for taste as well.

Liebs

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 9:53 am
Raisin wrote:
here's a link to a recipe. http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....odles Although I like the fresh salad idea. Also, tbh, this idea works best when plated. I'm not so sure it will work on a buffet..but I guess you could skewer the salmon, arrange them nicely on platter or in a jar, and serve the salad separately. Not everyone will take the salmon so you will have more that way.

I thought to put angle hair pasta with scallions and sesame seeds with cubes of salmon over it on a long rectangular plate.
Don't want to do salad because will have 3 salads already.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 10:00 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Rather than cubes on a skewer, I've done a very thin, narrow piece threaded on the skewer. I served it plated. it was 2 skewers of terikyaki salmon -- the salmon pieces were very small -- criscrossed over a plate (dividing it) with sesame noodles in one section and snap peas in the other. It was a gorgeous presentation and got rave reviews for taste as well.

I love that look. How do you ask them to cut it?
Here if you ask them to cut it lox style they charge more (probably because it is skinned, and they said they get more waste that way).

sky

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 10:01 am
Kosher By Design I has a great Sesame Noodle salad in the appetizer section. They use chicken on top but you can use salmon on top instead.

I see someone posted the link above. It is really good.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 10:02 am
sky wrote:
I love that look. How do you ask them to cut it?
Here if you ask them to cut it lox style they charge more (probably because it is skinned, and they said they get more waste that way).

I cut it myself. It wasn't very difficult.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 10:03 am
I was at a simcha recently where the tables had bowls of oriental coleslaw (the kind with rice vinegar, oil, sweetener, ramen noodles, sunflower seeds, etc) and topped on it was flaked salmon....it worked very well (served 10 per table) and was delicious!

Liebs

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 10:04 am
OOTBubby wrote:

What is the teriyaki recipe?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 10:05 am
Liebs wrote:
What is the teriyaki recipe?

Salmon Teriyaki
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics