Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to chicago?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 6:58 pm
to amother #4
I just moved to chicago- few questions

what are teh 20 restaurants- only knoiw of taboun, ken's diner, great chicago, dnalis, shallots, mailibu, tein li chow- what others?

where is that roumanian meat store? what kind of meat do they have?

momto4

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 7:37 pm
well I decided to come out in the open. I am one of the "amothers" in this thread. mumoo u r right. its not like u will know who I am based on my screen name anyway. I dont know why I was "amother" but anyway... for me living in chicago is very easy cuz I grew up here but I can only imagine how hard it is to move to a new community and not know anyone. its definately important to move to a "good block". it will be easier to meet people if there are young families with kids. I can see why people say its hard to find your niche in chicago. its a very large community. mumoo im guessing you live by "the yeshiva" so thats a built in community right there. anyway when your kids are in school that will definately make things easier. you will meet the other mothers that way. if u r the type to and have time then get involved in the kids schools. that will also be helpful. in terms of romanian. it a bit of a shlep (but worth it)to get to but it is on the corner of touhy and clark street. take touhy straight down and u will hit it. resteraunts are as follows: telaviv pizza, main street pizza, slice of life/hy life, great chicago, shallotts, sandwich club, taboun, tein li chow (take out), malibu, kens diner (not everyone eats here). I may be missing some but that what I came up with now. feel free to pm (or ask) me with more specific question. hatzlacha with your decision and I hope things work out for u!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 8:54 pm
mumoo wrote:
or south of Foster by Telshe- where the young, really Yeshivish families are

I would not recommend anyone who is not part of Telshe to move to Albany Park, not because its a bad place, but because everyone who lives there is connected to Telshe-- no one else. I have a number of friends over there, and every single one of them has a connection to Telshe. There is nothing there (no shops or frum owned businesses) besides Telshe. And anyway, almost all the Telshe kollel families live in the Telshe apt. building.

LIke the other amother said-- wha can keep track Very Happy --- if the original OP is a young, yeshivish family who's DH will be a rebbe in a school, she will probably feel most comfortable living in an area with similar families-- that's the area right around the Chicago com. kollel. While Skokie is a great neighborhood, I doubt it's what she's looking for at this point .

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:17 pm
mumoo wrote:
or south of Foster by Telshe- where the young, really Yeshivish families are

OP, I don't know where you are from, or what school dh is looking at (also a source of connections), but you can spend some time here getting to know the communities. I can host you for Shabbosim or during the week and show you around, introduce you, whatever. Then you might feel better about making decisions.

and you ask if you're sweet ...
the roumanian place is where they have the beef jerky ... someone here gave the location ...
Quote:
"in terms of romanian. it a bit of a shlep (but worth it)to get to but it is on the corner of touhy and clark street. take touhy straight down and u will hit it. "

mumoo

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 9:47 am
amother wrote:
to amother #4
I just moved to chicago- few questions

what are teh 20 restaurants- only knoiw of taboun, ken's diner, great chicago, dnalis, shallots, mailibu, tein li chow- what others?

where is that roumanian meat store? what kind of meat do they have?

in Skokie: slice of life/hylife bistro (milchic/fleishich), srulie's, bagel country, main pizza, sandwich club
in Chicago: tel aviv pizza, b & b bagels, dunkin donuts

romanian is on 7200 Clark (way east on Touhy)

mumoo

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 9:52 am
momto4 wrote:
well I decided to come out in the open. I am one of the "amothers" in this thread. mumoo u r right. its not like u will know who I am based on my screen name anyway. I dont know why I was "amother" but anyway... for me living in chicago is very easy cuz I grew up here but I can only imagine how hard it is to move to a new community and not know anyone. its definately important to move to a "good block". it will be easier to meet people if there are young families with kids. I can see why people say its hard to find your niche in chicago. its a very large community. mumoo im guessing you live by "the yeshiva" so thats a built in community right there. anyway when your kids are in school that will definately make things easier. you will meet the other mothers that way. if u r the type to and have time then get involved in the kids schools. that will also be helpful.!

thanks momto4 for 'coming out' I was getting lonely. I don't live by Telshe, but many of my friends do. I live in Skokie-so not Telshe! But I like it here. As for trying to get involved in the schools- try NOT to, it's pretty obligatory unless you're a trillionaire....

mumoo

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 9:55 am
greenfire wrote:

the roumanian place is where they have the beef jerky ... someone here gave the location

I don't think so, green. but I'll call. we go there all the time. salami sticks, maybe, but not jerky

now ds wants me to ask an england imamother for kosher skittles. where will it end?

sorry op for hijacking this thread for a minute.. embarrassed

amother

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 11:10 am
op-

If my husband get the job, I'll definitely PM you Mumoo.

My husband is giving his model lesson tomorow, I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you so much!

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 11:21 am
mumoo wrote:
greenfire wrote:

the roumanian place is where they have the beef jerky ... someone here gave the location

I don't think so, green. but I'll call. we go there all the time. salami sticks, maybe, but not jerky

now ds wants me to ask an england Imamother for kosher skittles. where will it end?

sorry op for hijacking this thread for a minute.. embarrassed

ah I see ... there's a difference ... will make sure to get the right ones

so now I want to go to england for skittles Nervous Colors "taste the rainbow"

momto4

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 1:00 pm
mumoo- when I said "the yeshiva", I meant SKOKIE yeshiva. am I right?

mumoo

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 2:43 pm
actually, momto4, tho my boys go to skokie, we live near the shuls and the kollel. if you ever decide to come out completel. pm me- we might already know each other...

momto4

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 3:48 pm
we might but I like to stay somewhat anonymous. sorry! (I have no problem if u wnat to reveal yourself though! LOL )

Coke Slurpee

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 12:05 pm
Hurray!!

My husband was just offered a Rebbe position in Chicago- We will be moving at the end of the summer, after camp ends and before the school year starts.

thanx for all your info,

Sonni

momto4

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 12:27 pm
good luck! feel free to pm me for any other questions.

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 6:29 am
I read the whole thread.
question: if I'm similar to op in hashkafa. but my husband isn't looking for a rebbe's job (at least not now, and def not in elementary school), but is rather looking for a good shtarke kollel, would we fit into chicago?

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 4:14 pm
probably not.

The chicago comm. kollel is a lakewood kollel and is hard to get into.

Telshe has a kollel, but my DH told me that they only will give a stipend to ppl who learned there as a bochur (DH learned there).

Skokie Yeshiva has a kollel, but while it is a choshuve makom torah, it doesn't attract the same crowd of guys who would learn in a "lakewood-type" yeshivish place. I don;t know anyone who learns there in the kollel who didn't learn there as a bochur.

Skokie comm. kollel is not a traditional kollel, it's more of a center for baal habatim in the neghborhood to come learn, etc... I don't think the people who learn there do a traditional 3 sedorim.

Sorry to disappoint you!

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 4:18 pm
amother wrote:
probably not.

The chicago comm. kollel is a lakewood kollel and is hard to get into.

Telshe has a kollel, but my DH told me that they only will give a stipend to ppl who learned there as a bochur (DH learned there).

Skokie Yeshiva has a kollel, but while it is a choshuve makom torah, it doesn't attract the same crowd of guys who would learn in a "lakewood-type" yeshivish place. I don;t know anyone who learns there in the kollel who didn't learn there as a bochur.

Skokie comm. kollel is not a traditional kollel, it's more of a center for baal habatim in the neghborhood to come learn, etc... I don't think the people who learn there do a traditional 3 sedorim.

Sorry to disappoint you!

perfect, thats exactly the info I wanted, thank you. I guess I'll cross chicago off my list.

mumoo

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 8:05 pm
amother wrote:

but we are looking for someone to replace a Rabbi that is leaving (Lakewood) by the end of summer. Two sedarim, learning with baalei habatim, as mentioned, and also program director

While most of the Rabbis live in Skokie, some of the yungerleit live in Chicago

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 8:35 pm
mumoo wrote:
amother wrote:

but we are looking for someone to replace a Rabbi that is leaving (Lakewood) by the end of summer. Two sedarim, learning with baalei habatim, as mentioned, and also program director

While most of the Rabbis live in Skokie, some of the yungerleit live in Chicago

he would need prior experience for such a position or would 'kollel avreich for x amt of years' be enough?

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 9:51 pm
Before you just cross it off you list entirely, why don't you first see if the CCK (Chicago comm kollel) is his/your speed and would take him. Don't just take one anonymous person's opinion. The CCK is definitely a 'shtark' kollel. Just b/c it's hard to get into doesn't mean that your husband doesn't match up.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating