Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Harry Potter Frum Fanfiction: Yehuda (Anthony) Goldstein
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 15  16  17  Next

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:30 am
tigerwife wrote:
Oh, finally, chapter 8! Awesome, though I'm cringing a bit from the Terry tension and wondering what Christian readers may think...
Any way to get an email update when each chapter goes up?

Yes! But you have to sign up for a fanfiction account. I hadn't logged into mine since, like, 2007 or something and I logged in just to get updated on this one!

I am LOVING all the speculation here! I never thought about Snape being Jewish, but it makes sense! (I just thought perhaps he was rather "particular," if you know what I mean, and so would pronounce Yehuda right. But then again, I'd expect that of McGonagall too. Also, why isn't Snape calling Yehuda by his last name?)

I'm not convinced Yehuda is going to see the mirror of Erised or the Room of Requirement - after all, he's too busy trying to navigate regular Hogwarts while staying frum to go much "off the beaten track," and I don't see him having the time or inclination to get into the kinds of scrapes that Harry and co. do.

I may have missed something - hadn't read it in a couple of days - but why couldn't he go home for Succos? Surely a portkey could get him home just as easily. And I'm sort of surprised he had to ask his rav whether he's allowed to eat in a Chabad house.

I'm guessing it's his mother who is magical, but then she must either have gone to Hogwarts and kept it hidden, or else otherwise learned to keep her magic under control.

Will they let him go home when the baby is born?

What does he do on Shabbos in dangerous times? There was a time when Harry was told to keep his wand and cloak on him at all times, but I think a wand might be muktzeh, no? And does Hogwarts have an eruv?

This is so much fun :-)

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:36 am
Does Hogwarts need an eruv if it is private property?

And about the wand being muktza... never thought about that, lol.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 11:17 am
youngishbear wrote:

Hmm, depending on the layout, I suppose the lake and the Forbidden Forest might each comprise part of an eruv. I'd think there needs to be one out on the grounds, no? But I don't know anything about the part of England where Yehuda lives, maybe he's used to not having an eruv anyway. Can the magical protection around the property (anti-Apparition, etc.) count as an eruv maybe?

When I was 18ish, in a Conservative camp, we had fun talking about all of this. I think the conclusion we came to was that magic itself, because most of it is created by creating sparks (from a wand) is akin to creating fire and is therefore assur on Shabbos, thus rendering wands muktzeh. Hadn't thought of that conversation in years.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 11:27 am
esheschayil wrote:
SNIP

I may have missed something - hadn't read it in a couple of days - but why couldn't he go home for Succos? Surely a portkey could get him home just as easily. And I'm sort of surprised he had to ask his rav whether he's allowed to eat in a Chabad house.

I'm guessing it's his mother who is magical, but then she must either have gone to Hogwarts and kept it hidden, or else otherwise learned to keep her magic under control.

Will they let him go home when the baby is born?

What does he do on Shabbos in dangerous times? There was a time when Harry was told to keep his wand and cloak on him at all times, but I think a wand might be muktzeh, no? And does Hogwarts have an eruv?

This is so much fun :-)

Isn't Yehuda's cover story for his family and community that he's going to yeshiva in America? If so, then going home just for the first days of succos (especially without prior warning) would probably be suspicious.

As to Yehuda's magical roots, it seems like he is muggleborn like Hermione. No magical parents necessary for that to happen. Although I agree that if he does have a magical ancestor, it would most likely be on his mother's side because she seems to be taking all this much more in stride than his father.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 11:47 am
I do remember reading someplace on the internet that Anthony Goldstein is a half-blood, but don't recall that from the books. Can anyone source it? Both his parents seem to be muggles — just read how McGonagall hand-delivers Hogwarts acceptance letters to muggle families (chapter 1).

pickle321

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 11:57 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I do remember reading someplace on the internet that Anthony Goldstein is a half-blood, but don't recall that from the books. Can anyone source it? Both his parents seem to be muggles — just read how McGonagall hand-delivers Hogwarts acceptance letters to muggle families (chapter 1).

That was the one question I had- mcgonagell said she hand delivers letters to muggle families, so then why is it that Harry got tons of letters delivered by owl before hagrid came? His aunt and uncle were muggles... Unless it's only to muggleborns...

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 11:58 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:

Yeah, but you don't have to be muggle-born to live with muggles--look at Harry himself. I also thought Anthony Goldstein was half-blood. My guess is, if the mother or anyone in her family is magic, she's keeping it secret either because of the Statute of Secrecy (which doesn't seem strictly necessary if she herself is a witch) or to fit into the frum community. But I agree, she takes it way more in stride.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 11:59 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Isn't Yehuda's cover story for his family and community that he's going to yeshiva in America? If so, then going home just for the first days of succos (especially without prior warning) would probably be suspicious.

As to Yehuda's magical roots, it seems like he is muggleborn like Hermione. No magical parents necessary for that to happen. Although I agree that if he does have a magical ancestor, it would most likely be on his mother's side because she seems to be taking all this much more in stride than his father.

Oh right! I forgot about the America part. Good call.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:02 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:

Wikipedia confirms it.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:20 pm
OMG. I had no idea that it was canon that Anthony Goldstein was Jewish.

Mind.

Blown.

shock shock shock

singleagain

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:23 pm
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/w.....stein

this is anthony's page on the harry potter wiki, which sources all things related to harry potter, including books, movies, video games, interviews, pottermore and jk's twitter

this is the wiki page on the acceptance letter http://harrypotter.wikia.com/w.....etter

where it explains why harry received by muggle post at first bc dursely's knew about wizarding world

since anthony is said to be halfblooded, he should have received by muggle post too.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:25 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

Mind.

Blown.

shock shock shock

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:34 pm
youngishbear wrote:

Hogwarts would nee an eruv, but it's fully enclosed. You can only enter through specific entrances which all seem to have gates. It's fully enclosed.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:37 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

Mind.

Blown.

shock shock shock

Confirmed by JK last month on twitter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.c.....58725

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:42 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Hogwarts would nee an eruv, but it's fully enclosed. You can only enter through specific entrances which all seem to have gates. It's fully enclosed.

Oh, interesting point. What about the secret passages, though?

imasinger

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:56 pm
Love the question of whether a wand is muktzeh.

I really, really hope Snape won't be Jewish. Feeds right into antisemitism, since he isn't exactly a hero.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:06 pm
!!!!!!!

What if Anthony's mother is a SQUIB??? Unable to fit into the magical world, but fully familiar with it, she turns instead to the Muggle world, specifically her Jewish background, and becomes a BT. Then Anthony would be a half-blood still, but it would make sense that he wouldn't know anything!

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:07 pm
I don't understand why my last post got a hug.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:09 pm
imasinger wrote:
Love the question of whether a wand is muktzeh.

I really, really hope Snape won't be Jewish. Feeds right into antisemitism, since he isn't exactly a hero.

He is exactly a hero.

The hero of the entire series.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:16 pm
esheschayil wrote:
Oh, interesting point. What about the secret passages, though?

The secret passages all have coverings over them.
Page 5 of 17   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club