Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Need constipation tips for kid asap

Bitachon101

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 9:37 pm
OK, so basically ds 3 is sitting on toilet screaming and crying for half hour cuz he is constipated and as he says "its stuck, make it come out!"
I have miralax doc gave for him some time ago which I gave him but often takes 24 hours to work.
I have one pedialax suppository but he won't let me anywhere near him with it.
He just keeps yelling and crying make it come out.
Help!

bnm

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 9:45 pm
put a thermometer in Vaseline or ky and stick it in. the only things that are instant are suppositories and enemas. Prune juice is supposed to work pretty quickly too but it has to be a full cup. Mirilax can take 3 days to work.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 9:45 pm
I used the liquid enema on my dc and it worked instantly. It takes 3 seconds to administer and your dc will feel better. Have DC lay on his stomach with his head on the arm of the couch. My DC hated it, but the alternative was c"v surgery, I know a kid that needed to be cleaned out. I found the mirilax to be maintenance, it worked as long as dc wasnt backed up 4 days worth.

SRB

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 9:49 pm
This alone probably won't work but I addition to above, have him drink water. It should help move things around and bulk the stool helping it move.

Bitachon101

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 10:04 pm
Thanks, we got suppository in but so far didn't work, I put a pull up on for him now cuz hes falling asleep and falling off toilet so I told him tonight he is allowed to make in the pull up if he needs to get it out of his tummy and he was actually relieved with that. He just fell asleep, will see what tomorrow brings!
I've btdt and my heart goes out to him... Its worse than having a baby in my opinion!

bnm

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 10:14 pm
Bitachon101 wrote:
Thanks, we got suppository in but so far didn't work, I put a pull up on for him now cuz hes falling asleep and falling off toilet so I told him tonight he is allowed to make in the pull up if he needs to get it out of his tummy and he was actually relieved with that. He just fell asleep, will see what tomorrow brings!
I've btdt and my heart goes out to him... Its worse than having a baby in my opinion!
give him enough time in the morning. be prepared that there might be a missed bus Sad The suppository will hopefully do its work overnight so he will be quicker in the morning but there is no gaurentees.

summer0808

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 10:17 pm
If the suppository doesn't work you'll probably have to do the enema.

Also for maintenance give PEAR JUICE. It tastes much better than prune (it tastes like apple) Just don't let other 'regulars' near it. It will make them run!

summer0808

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 10:17 pm
Oh and pear juice is in the baby section of the supermarket. Produced by Gerber or Beechnut. Near the jars/formula etc.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 10:19 pm
Just wanted to give you some hugs- this is so hard. Maintenance is very very important- probiotics really help.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 1:46 am
Don't know if you can get a 3 year old to do this, but I've used this method for myself, and also my 8 year old. You have to walk around the room taking very tiny steps, one at at time - ie. little step, stop, little step, stop, little step, stop. After about 20-30 of these, you suddenly feel it needs to come out, carry one doing a few more little steps and stops, and then go sit.
I'm telling you, it often works.

Also tomatoes, prunes, dried apricots, porridge...

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 2:59 am
My daughter had this recently as well... it lasted like 2-3 days!

I know this is strange but you know what helped? I gave her a lot of milk to drink. Dairy upsets the stomach a bit, and then she was able to make.

becky2345

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 12:11 pm
ditto to the pear juice. a little a day is great maintenance, but for now I would give a whole cup.. I found that it works well without any side affects.

srbmom

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 12:31 pm
I second the liquid suppositories. This is the only thing that works with DD and it is instant - within 10 seconds.
I use the PEDIA-LAX® LIQUID GLYCERIN SUPPOSITORIES

Bitachon101

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 3:35 am
srbmom wrote:
I second the liquid suppositories. This is the only thing that works with DD and it is instant - within 10 seconds.
I use the PEDIA-LAX® LIQUID GLYCERIN SUPPOSITORIES

Ds freaks out when he sees this and doesn't let me near him with it. Finally I got h to let me and... It didn't work (usually it does).
I put a pull up on him that I found in the house and let him sleep. All day today he was still stuck. Finally tonight he got it out... But with some blood prob from pushing so hard.

Lillian

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 4:02 am
I give my DD miralax every other day. If I skip to many days she gets very constipated. Give it to him every day in the beginning until he is better. It really does help. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics