Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Darn! there's only one bathroom
1  2  Next

Bitachon101

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 6:18 pm
dear apartment builders and designers,
I know you did a really great job designing your apartments. And we appreciate that.
But why oh why is it ever allowed to make one bathroom only?
Little guy in there, can't rush him out with his stomach ache and more than one of the rest of us needs it too!
Help!
Please pass a law that all apts need at least 2 bathrooms.
Argh.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 6:20 pm
that's why people buy potties. and there are definitely 2 bathroom apartments out there. and I grew up in a house (three stories including basement) with one bathroom. no lock on the door, four kids. a hook and eye went up when the youngest was a toddler, he was a troublemaker.

people manage.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 4:17 am
Really? I'm in BH a big apartment, and there is one bathroom (shower, sinks...) and one toilet.
The apartment isn't made to put in a second toilet without tearing down walls and basically replumbing.
It is rarer for a house. But for an apartment? It is the common case.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 4:18 am
We own a 2 bedroom 2 bath. It exists

myself

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 4:21 am
Count me in Bitachon! It's the most oft-repeated complaint in this house...

mummiedearest, potties only help for little ones. What about the not-quite-so-little anymore?

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 5:03 am
modern houses and apartments are built with more then one bathroom. If it is a house or apartment built recently it is odd to have only one. An adult can't use a potty. Our 80 year old 4 bedroom house has 2 bathrooms but one was a recent addition.

ora_43

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 5:29 am
Are you asking for real? My real answer would be, because a lot of people live alone, or with no kids, or with one kid, or older kids, and adding a second bathroom would add to the price of the apartment and take up valuable floor space.

But yeah, as someone with young kids, a place having just one bathroom is a major downside. I'm sorry.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 5:45 am
When we considered a second toilet (one shower etc is enough, we would just want one more toilet) we asked professionals if destroying the spa type shower "luxury" and putting a second toilet would enhance the apartment's value. They ALL said no. So apparently, people who buy three bedroom- apartments are more than ok with one toilet. The previous owner who put in the spa shower had a large family, btw.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 6:15 am
I'm with you, and all I can say is B"H for frum neighbors for the times we needed another desperately.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 6:23 am
I delayed potty training my dd just because already there was a struggle between me my husband and my son using the bathroom. Now my baby is ready to potty train but I can't imagine sharing it w 5 ppl. I bought a potty but still sometimes I'm the one w the emergencies (Thank You IBS!!!) can't wait to move (first req of new apt 2bathrooms and w/d- I'm sick of the laundromat also but that's an other thread!)

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 6:40 am
Always lived in apartments with one bathroom, shared between 2 -5 people. We had a morning rota and had to choose am or pm showers. Worst was university where we had 10 people sharing one bathroom. Ick. Used to go to the gym just to shower. Dh grew up in a one bathroom house, with several siblings.

Now we have 2 bathrooms, one main one and one tiny en suite. It is a real luxury.

Lots of newer apartments designed for professionals sharing have 2 bed 2 bathrooms, but often they are v small.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 6:45 am
I think a second toilet at least is essential. Many houses have a guest toilet. Showers can wait...going to the toilet often can't. Even if only 2 people live in the house.

Barbara

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 6:55 am
Ruchel wrote:
When we considered a second toilet (one shower etc is enough, we would just want one more toilet) we asked professionals if destroying the spa type shower "luxury" and putting a second toilet would enhance the apartment's value. They ALL said no. So apparently, people who buy three bedroom- apartments are more than ok with one toilet. The previous owner who put in the spa shower had a large family, btw.

As you often say, its all cultural!

Americans love their bathrooms. Massive showers with multiple shower heads. Separate baths. Massive vanities. And, yes, at least as many toilets as there are bedrooms.

Our apartment was built in the early 60s. The bathrooms are tiny, but there are two of them in a two bedroom apartment. Only older (unrenovated) or less expensive places would have only one toilet.

morah

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 7:11 am
We moved when DS1 was a baby, so only two of us who needed to share a toilet, and we were going crazy! I'm one of those people who has to pee all the time (and that's when not pregnant, while pregnant, I pretty much have to plan my every move based on where the nearest bathroom is) and I HATED having just one bathroom. My number one requirement when we moved was that there had to be a second bathroom. I didn't need a second shower, just a toilet and sink, what they call a "half-bath" in real estate parlance. We did end up moving into a house with 2 full bathrooms. And it's so much better that way.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 7:21 am
I much prefer a bigger bedroom to another toilet.
That said I prefer TWO smaller bedrooms to one bigger bedroom - or a toilet.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 7:41 am
I grew up in a nice sized home with 3 bathrooms. When I married, my first 2 apartments each had only 1, but our first house had 2. Second house had 4 when we moved in and 7 after we made an addition. The house we are building now (as empty nesters) will have 5.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 2:34 pm
ok, not that I do this, but in the days of outhouses, EVERYONE used a potty. the chamber pot was used at night or in cold weather for those who did not want to venture out into the outhouse. this was normal. I have put a slightly-larger than toddler on the potty in an emergency. it's not something I'd do every day. I don't like the cleanup after, but sometimes it's a necessary evil.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 3:13 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
ok, not that I do this, but in the days of outhouses, EVERYONE used a potty. the chamber pot was used at night or in cold weather for those who did not want to venture out into the outhouse. this was normal. I have put a slightly-larger than toddler on the potty in an emergency. it's not something I'd do every day. I don't like the cleanup after, but sometimes it's a necessary evil.

they just don't sell that type of chamber pot anymore.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 3:22 pm
I had one bathroom house for 4 people. I fought my husband not to put a 2nd bathroom in. I didn't want to spend the money and he did all the work himself.

Fast forward 3 years and we are still 4 people. I stopped fighting him in building. We now have 7 and 1/2 baths for 4 people.

Barbara

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 3:24 pm
Raisin wrote:
they just don't sell that type of chamber pot anymore.

Sure they do. Google bedpan or commode chair.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics