Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What goes with potato soup? Shiva meal for vegetarian adults

spring13

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 8:51 pm
I was asked to make a meal for a family of 5 adults. I don't know them well, but at least one is vegetarian. That's fine, I'm using to working with that, but I'm not always good at planning a whole nice meal for other people when I can't phone part of it in and use string cheese as the protein...

I'm thinking potato soup or something like that - but then what else could I make that would go well with it? Fish is most likely fine, but it can be a little expensive, so other ideas are definitely welcome.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:03 pm
How about a quiche, some warm crusty rolls and cubed melon?

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:06 pm
Lentils are a classic shiva food.

Peanut2

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:12 pm
I would say lentil soup maybe, or a wintery soup (butternut squash?) would be nice.

Do you make good salads, or cur up veggies for salads?

Vegetables stir fried with tofu and rice/quinoa/pasta, teriyaki sauce? You could add salmon teriyaki unless you don't want to for cost. (Broccoli slaw with mushrooms is good for this and easy. This all foes better with butternut squash than lentil soup IMO, though. It's a nice contrast but goes well.

If I were doing lentil soup I'd maybe do vegetarian moussaka and a salad, but might be too labor intensive. Lasagna can be fast?

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:13 pm
garlic bread & salad

spring13

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:24 pm
Oooh, I'm not usually a quiche person but that's a good idea - I have lots of relevant ingredients around the house already.

And I have a small pumpkin - maybe I'll do up a soup with that instead of potatoes.

More ideas are welcome, thank you everyone so far! I need them for my own regular meal planning, not just for this occasion...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics