Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
The "I'm so absentminded, I..." thread
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Bitachon101

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 7:48 pm
absent-minded
[ab-suh nt-mahyn-did]
adjective
so lost in thought that one does not realize what one is doing, what is happening, etc.; preoccupied to the extent of being unaware of one's immediate surroundings.

embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

I know I'm not the only one. So to make myself feel better I'm starting a thread to serve as a place for us to share our oops stories, vent, laugh, etc.

I'd love if we could keep this a continuous and live thread sharing our ridiculous, frustrating, humiliating, funny, etc stories.
All non absent minded amothers... You will never get it. Sorry.

Bitachon101

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 7:54 pm
So I'll start since I started the thread.

1. I was pouring hot water from an urn into a cup for coffee. Dh started to talk to me so I turned around to answer him and forgot I left the urn lever pushed. After a short discussion it hit me that I left the hot water running and turned around to a puddle of hot water all over the counter heading for the floor!

2. I picked up my sons yarmulka from the floor and was preoccupied and put it on the baby instead of ds 3!

3. And most embarrassing.... I got sidetracked playing with the kids on the floor today I forgot that I was headed to do my hefsek!!!! Argh!

The plague of absentmindedness....
I know I'm just professor genius and that's why... Right???? Jk

penguin

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 8:24 pm
I think most people would be more comfortable sharing their stories anonymously...perhaps you can re-start the thread in another forum, or ask a mod to move it...

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 8:27 pm
I have done many such things but I'm too absentminded to remember them.

Besides the time I almost applied monistat to my toothbrush instead of toothpaste. That one I don't forget so fast.

yogabird

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 8:30 pm
Last week I was looking through my garbage thinking maybe I absent-mindedly dropped my parve knife in there, since I've been known to do things like that. I didn't find the knife, but I found my cell phone charger, that I had no idea was even missing! (and no, none of my kids woulda done that, and my husband wasn't home, so no one else to blame...)

Tzutzie

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 9:21 pm
I'm always a little absentminded but lately, the farther I go in pregnancy, the worse it gets....

Well, lets start.

Walked into my open dryer door

Put dirty laundry in garbage

After HOURS of searching, find my phone in the freezer/pantry and once in a washed and wiped dried pot w the cover on and ringer off. Now that I know where to look first, I don't spend so much time looking for it.

Complain to sister than im looking for something, but I'm too embarrassed to tell her what (she's been teasing me about this "I can't find my phone" song I've been singing too often.) So she asks me jokingly, is it your phone I say yes. She says YOU'RE TALKING TO ME ON IT IDIOT! embarrassed

This week, Put hot fleishig pot on a parve burner but with these rubber thingies that absorb the heat in between the pot and burner.Took off fleishig pot and put on parve pot but forgot to take the rubber thingy off..... I heard a little popping but couldn't figure out what it was.... till the smoke alarm went off.

Yeterday, at siste for Friday night dinner. Sister hands me over BOILING chicken soup and I continue talking animatedly only to realize I got burned by the pilled soup AFTER sister started yelling cuz I wouldn't.... and then I YELLED. It BURNED!!! but I was too preoccupied to feel PAIN.

This is what I can come up w now.... I'll be a frequent poster here....

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 9:49 pm
Next time with the phone thing, just say "No, I meant my OTHER phone is the one missing." then you can blush privately Wink

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 9:56 pm
I once walked into my house with my kids and noticed I had a dirty paper towel in my hand. I went to throw it out while unbundling my kids. Well, my keys have been missing ever since- they must have been in my hand with the paper towel. I used them to get into my house, so they couldn't have been stolen or lost outside.

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up my kids from school on Friday and was trying to get all of us to fit into my elevator with our double stroller and dd's wheelchair. I got everything in except me, so I pulled out the stroller and went in and then pulled the stroller back in. As I did that, I dropped my keys down the elevator shaft. We had to go right back out of the elevator and go hang out at my parents' house until dh came home from work. B"H most of my cooking was done already.

Last week I got locked out again- I forgot to take my keys with me when I went up to my neighbor's house. We had to crash at my parents' for supper that night.

Something about me and keys... I should get a combination lock I think.

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 10:01 pm
Combination lock is actually a great thing to have. I never stress about forgetting my keys anymore.

youngishbear

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 10:07 pm
[quote="seeker"]Combination lock is actually a great thing to have. I never stress about forgetting my keys anymore.[/qute]

I have both, a number lock outside my house and keys inside. Now three guesses what happens when I'm absentminded?...

shanie5

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 10:13 pm
Check out this thread for more fun stuff:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....nless

mazal555

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 10:31 pm
After I finished using it, I put the full container of aluminum foil in the garbage instead of the drawer. DH took out the garbage and I then spent half an hour looking all over my kitchen for the foil. I asked him if he saw it and he told me I threw it out.

I turned on the wrong burner and couldn't figure out why my food was cooking so slowly.

I left the burner on and couldn't figure out why the kitchen was still so hot.

I couldn't figure out why the bedroom was so cold, but I hadn't properly closed the window.

Beingreal

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 10:44 pm
This is so much fun! Let's see...I put my son's cereal and milk in the fridge when I was supposed to give it to him....I went throhegh the exit of Target instead of the entrance...more to come...

rowo

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 11:05 pm
I was mortified...
This was when ds was a baby who somehow survived without sleep which meant I had to try to function without sleep as well...
In the supermarket I saw a soft packet of tissues in the tissue section. Thinking that it would be a great size to keep in my bag I picked it up, and absent mindedly put in straight in my handbag instead of the shopping cart...!! 😳😳
B'H I realised a couple of minutes later and put in the shopping cart to pay for it. But I was in such a panic that I done something so wrong and it was a chilul Hashem. I think I came home shaking..

That was a pretty bad one, but I have 'absent minded' moments every day Wink

Butterfly

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 11:21 pm
seeker wrote:
Combination lock is actually a great thing to have. I never stress about forgetting my keys anymore.

I'd stress about forgetting the combination numbers on the lock.... At wits end

ROFL

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 11:23 pm
I was loaded my dishes into the dishwasher and opened up my oven door!
Not mortifying, until I realized my kids were watching me. Ok so I have halfzeimers . ( instead of Alzheimer's )

chilax

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 11:58 pm
I was looking at a photograph in a newspaper, wasnt so clear, so I tried to stretch it using my fingers as in my phone

ROFL

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 12:29 am
chilax wrote:
I was looking at a photograph in a newspaper, wasnt so clear, so I tried to stretch it using my fingers as in my phone

Oops I did that too!

mommy9

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 1:24 am
I stood in front of the front door pressing my car "clicker" wondering why the door wasn't unlocking.
I sprayed my slip with deodorant and was about to spray static guard under my arms when I realized what I was doing.

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 1:58 am
You guys are aweaome! I'm crying from laughter!
Thanks for helping me feel better that I'm not the only one!
Keep em stories coming!
Some of these are documentable!
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics