Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Blue on everything. Devastated :-(

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 1:44 pm
I use a laundromat due to no machine in apartment. Last night I did a huge load of literally almost ALL my children's clothes plus some of mine, because if course I wait until someone has nothing left to wear before going to the laundry.

This morning I discovered something dark blue got all over everything. I did check pockets before washing, so it's not like there was a crayon or marker in the wash. Dh is the one who actually did it and he said the machines were empty and he washed cold and dried low as instructed. Not having anticipated this, I did not explicitly instruct him to check that things were clean before putting in dryer which gets pretty warm even on low, so for all I know this might be permanently set now.

I have no idea what it is from so I don't begin to know how to treat it. It looks like it could even be dye, maybe someone dyed something in the machine before us, I imagine after going through the dryer it is never going to come out...

It is on everything and really bad. This is like almost all do my kids' school clothes, play clothes, socks, tights, pajamas, shells, underwear - ok the underwear doesn't matter so much but still... BH only one or two Shabbos dresses were in this load. A few things came out decent but all of those are only underwear or pajamas. Everything else ranges from lightly stained - but that's lightly stained in dark blue! - or heavily covered in the stuff.

I guess I'll try washing it again now but it is so bad they I'm just not feeling very optimistic especially since I don't know what it is. I sit know what to do with myself, I am so stressed and definitely can't afford to replace my kids' entire wardrobe from socks to shirts to dresses. But they can't wear blue streaks all over either.

Someone please help me calm down and give some suggestions for removing TONS of blue mystery stain.

At wits end
Crying

youngishbear

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 1:47 pm
Wow... I know how much effort I put in to find nice stuff for decent prices. Can't imagine how awful it would be to have most of it ruined in one fell swoop.

Don't have any stain suggestions, just wanted to share that you're not being ignored... and that someone cares.

Hope someone has ideas for you.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 2:01 pm
Hugs, hugs that is awful!

For the white underwear, I would use the boiling water cycle and lots of bleach. Wash again as necessary.

Please give details of what else you have in there and we will try to help you.

spinkles

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 2:08 pm
Ugh, that happened to me twice when my kids were little. Horrible feeling! I'm sorry it happened to you. Sad Soaking in OxiClean, washing in cold, then soaking in OxiClean again helped for some of the clothes.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 2:27 pm
None of my kids' underwear was white in the first place Sad All kiddie designs. But I would forgive the underwear... it doesn't get seen much and most of it wasn't that bad anyway... bigger problem is that every. single. shirt. is unwearable Sad

Going to try soaking in Oxiclean. After Shabbos because I am going to need my whole bathtub for this Sad

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 2:52 pm
Also much of this stuff was hand-me-downs. So if it doesn't come out it will be even harder to replace than it was to get in the first place, because the older cousin doesn't have another whole wardrobe of the same size to pass on.

I guess the hardest part of this is that it comes on top of a lot of built-up stress and I feel like it's just the straw that's breaking my back. It feels stupid to be depressed over a laundry accident but I'm stressed in every direction, have been trying hard to hold myself together and stay positive, and now this just makes me feel so hopeless. It is stupid to say G-d hates me because He made my laundry blue, especially with all the worse events going on in other people's lives, but that is just my feeling now and it's overwhelming me.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 2:57 pm
I would be devastated and super stressed too. If you have boys I probably have a lot of gorgeous stuff that I can give you. From boys size 4 through size 10. Pkease let me know. I was going through the stuff today and trying to figure out who I could give it to that would appreciate it. It's all excellent condition brand name, European clothing.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 3:16 pm
That's very kind of you. I only have girls, though. Hopefully when I calm down this won't be so bad; they probably had too many clothes anyway though of course it's their favorites that landed in the laundry. And Shabbos clothes were basically unaffected (besides the shells that go with them) and I think there was only one skirt and it came out OK (it was black but faded; didn't notice any blue if there was.) I can try bleaching the white socks.

It's just the total FRUSTRATION of it all. Finally getting around to doing laundry and ending up with not only no clean clothes, but a load of extra work and possibly still no clean clothes. Also the little things, like that some things were OK but those were underwear anyway. Or like I finally found one pair of white tights that didn't have blue on it... but it had a huge hole. Or like out of all times of life this had to happen TODAY right when I just finished doing my paperwork for the month discovering that it was probably my worst month ever even though I worked hard (there were months when I had NO work, but then I had no childcare expenses either... and the predictable and planned-for yomtov slump was LAST month already.) It's like the entire situation was designed to push me past the brink of my frustration tolerance level and I'm not coping. If this was a test, I failed, so can the test stop already?

Silver lining: I already have more shells and tights on the way from the Children's Place black friday sale. They were SUPPOSED to be extras so we wouldn't keep running out in between laundries, but whatever. Maybe I should order more before the sale ends, because I have so much spare cash lying around.

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 9:28 pm
I know the feeling. I once put stuff in the dryer, also in the laundry room downstairs, and there was a green crayon and an orange crayon in the dryer. I don't know if they were mine or if they were there from before, but all of our clothes were green and orange. I rewashed it, maybe even twice, and was surprised that some of it came out- but not most of it. We threw out a lot of clothes. It was pretty infuriating. And I couldn't even blame dh- I did the laundry myself.

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 9:32 pm
BTW, I for sure have a bunch of girls clothes at least up to size 2t. I already donated or dumped most of the bigger stuff, but I might have some, if you're interested. It is a few years old though- my baby girl is 8 already.

greenfire

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 9:37 pm
try washing with baking soda & vinegar along with detergent ... maybe even using some elbow grease - hopefully some things will get clean enough to still wear ...

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 9:54 pm
There could have been a crayon in there theoretically, but it wasn't in mine (only one of the items in that load had pockets, and THEY weren't blue) and DH says the washer and dryer both looked empty when he put them in. SIGH. I'll never know!!!

I keep avoiding this but it's time to try soaking in oxiclean and washing again. I am avoiding it out of fear it won't work and then the disaster will be final but that's just silly.

Of course the most blue got on the best clothes, or at least that's how it seems. Well maybe not in all cases but it does seem disproportionate, it's like whatever it is was engineered to target shirts rather than underwear. And white socks. I should really buy more white socks already.

On a positive note, a birthday package for DD arrived on erev Shabbos that included two pairs of warm tights, a drop on the large side but at least she has something to wear while waiting for these to recover (or not) and for my Black Friday order to arrive.

TWBM my baby is 2T but I'll let you know how I fare after trying the wash first. If the wash doesn't work then I'll need to take inventory...

cbsp

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 10:14 pm
Carbona color run remover?
Here are reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/re.....&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

I've used their other products, never this one.

You've got my sympathies...

ra_mom

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 10:27 pm
Anything white can be magically fixed with Rit color remover. Just follow directions on package. You need to boil up the solution on the stove.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 10:28 pm
How old are your girls? What sort of clothes do you need? I can look through my girls clothing.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 2:09 am
HALLELUJAH!!! About 80% of it seems to have come out to at least acceptable levels. Still have one bucketful going for a second oxiclean soak, and some things I deemed acceptable just because they were pajamas or underwear anyway. But a lot did come off. In the process it seems one shirt had a design that was colorfast enough to never bleed before but not enough to withstand 4 hours of oxiclean, so now a couple of items that were sitting right under it have nasty brownish leaf shapes instead of the blue. SIGH. maybe those will improve in the second soak. I'm down to a handful of shirts that are pretty bad, one sweatshirt that only has a little light blue streaks but would not mind having none, and one mostly -white Shabbos sock. Whew.

I think we'll be ok after all. Boy am I glad I didn't waste my time and energy crying and moaning over this! LOL

Oh... Wait... embarrassed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry