Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you own a microwave?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you own a microwave?
yes, of course. how can anyone manage without one?  
 31%  [ 62 ]
yes, but only to warm up a few things here and there.  
 39%  [ 77 ]
no way.  
 21%  [ 41 ]
other (not sure what that could be, but here is that option :) )  
 7%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 195

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 3:57 am
I was just wondering how common or not it was to own a microwave?

Growing up we never did.
As a single person living on my own I didnt have one.
And now as a married adult we dont have one.

Never saw the need and I also do not like how things taste when they come out of the microwave.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 4:09 am
We do. We both work FT and have little kids. We use it mostly for warming leftovers. We have an oven and toaster oven too. Certainly for things that are supposed to be crisp, we use the oven/toaster oven.

luppamom

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 4:33 am
No b/c in the past, I didn't have space for one Smile Now I have space, but I got used to not using one and they have pretty bad PR. But, I think they do overall save $ as I have to turn on my oven every time I want to heat something up and it's also good for melting things for baking.

freidasima

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 4:35 am
I'm an "other". We have a microwave but we don't use it for food really. At most an emergency warming up for a roll that needs to be eaten immediately and for that we don't even have the five minutes for a toaster oven. We basically use it to warm up hot packs for aching muscles etc. Not for food as it really is unhealthy and kills the vitamins. We also don't have it in the kitchen but somewhere where the radiation won't hit anyone.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 4:50 am
The question should also be, if you have one, do you only use it for warming, or do you also cook with it? We only use it for warming things up.

Last edited by yo'ma on Wed, Nov 26 2014, 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 4:56 am
Yes, we have two. And we use it for everything. sometimes also for cooking, Like rice or a vegetable.

chani8

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 5:03 am
I grew up on microwave cooking and can cook a full meal, whole chicken and all, in the microwave.

But now I rarely use it. My kids cook their soy shnitzle things in there sometimes. Or to melt cheese over the eggs.

Bottom line is, imo, you don't need a microwave. Are they even safe?

grace413

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 5:04 am
Love my microwave. For actual cooking it's best used for stovetop recipes, anything you'd boil or steam. Not for something you want crispy. Great for veggies, spaghetti sauce, scalloped potatos, fish.

I'm too old to have grown up with one but once I had one I found it very useful.

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 5:44 am
not sure how anyone can live without one. as it is kids get impatient when they need to wait two minutes for their food to get warm.
how do you warm a roll you took out of the freezer? if you put it in the toaster it takes 20 minutes and it's toasty! what if you want it soft?
microwaves are amazing.

coconutbutter

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 5:51 am
Had one when I lived with my parents. No room for one in my current apartment but I would definitely make good use of it if I did. Mostly for quick warming, melting, or for popping popcorn.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 5:52 am
JustMeMyself wrote:
not sure how anyone can live without one. as it is kids get impatient when they need to wait two minutes for their food to get warm.
how do you warm a roll you took out of the freezer? if you put it in the toaster it takes 20 minutes and it's toasty! what if you want it soft?
microwaves are amazing.
We dont even have a toaster oven.
This "I am hungry and I need xyz NOW". Nobody cant wait 5 - 10 minutes for something that needs to warm up.
If I need to warm of pita or something? I put it into the oven and in a few minutes it is done.
I love warming things up on teh stove.
I dont like how bread tastes after it was warmed in teh microwave.

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 5:59 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
We dont even have a toaster oven.
This "I am hungry and I need xyz NOW". Nobody cant wait 5 - 10 minutes for something that needs to warm up.
If I need to warm of pita or something? I put it into the oven and in a few minutes it is done.
I love warming things up on teh stove.
I dont like how bread tastes after it was warmed in teh microwave.

you would heat up the oven for one little pita? does it come out crispy or soft?

how would you warm your coffee? I like my coffee hot but my house it always cold so by the time I'm halfway through with my coffee it is cold. I warm it in the microwave, it's great. I can't imagine making a fresh one each time it got cold.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 6:02 am
JustMeMyself wrote:
you would heat up the oven for one little pita? does it come out crispy or soft?

how would you warm your coffee? I like my coffee hot but my house it always cold so by the time I'm halfway through with my coffee it is cold. I warm it in the microwave, it's great. I can't imagine making a fresh one each time it got cold.
yes, I turn the oeven on for one pita. I check on it. If I want it soft, I leave it in for a short time and if I want it crispy I leave it in longer Smile
coffee? I drink tea. I am not one of those people that takes forever to drink my tea. I drink it and finish it. But thats what it is. We dont have one and I dont want to have one. I guess I would make a new cup of tea if it got cold Smile
Its not the end of the world Smile

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 6:06 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
yes, I turn the oeven on for one pita. I check on it. If I want it soft, I leave it in for a short time and if I want it crispy I leave it in longer Smile
coffee? I drink tea. I am not one of those people that takes forever to drink my tea. I drink it and finish it. But thats what it is. We dont have one and I dont want to have one. I guess I would make a new cup of tea if it got cold Smile
Its not the end of the world Smile

definitely not the end of the world Smile

I guess it's just a matter of getting used to.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 6:09 am
JustMeMyself wrote:
definitely not the end of the world Smile

I guess it's just a matter of getting used to.
Right. Its that I never had to "get used" to it. Thats how it was growing up. Fine we had a toaster oven then, but no microwave.

My husband had to get used to no microwave, but we dont really warm things up other than chicken and that tastes delicious on the stove.

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 6:12 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Right. Its that I never had to "get used" to it. Thats how it was growing up. Fine we had a toaster oven then, but no microwave.

My husband had to get used to no microwave, but we dont really warm things up other than chicken and that tastes delicious on the stove.

gotcha.

I don't have room for two ovens so I'm not sure how I would manage without a microwave.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 6:14 am
JustMeMyself wrote:
gotcha.

I don't have room for two ovens so I'm not sure how I would manage without a microwave.
I only have one oven. Who saida nything about two ovens?

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 6:16 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I only have one oven. Who saida nything about two ovens?

how do you warm milchig and fleshig?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 6:17 am
JustMeMyself wrote:
how do you warm milchig and fleshig?
I learned that if everything is covered its fine. ANd if I need to warm or cook something dairy/meat after cooking something of the other, I just turn the oven on the hottest temperature for a while and thats fine.
Thats how I learned it all works.

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 6:19 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I learned that if everything is covered its fine. ANd if I need to warm or cook something dairy/meat after cooking something of the other, I just turn the oven on the hottest temperature for a while and thats fine.
Thats how I learned it all works.

ah, okay I didn't know that
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics