Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Vegan potato kugel?

Petra

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 7:00 pm
Any recipes? I never realized how much egg is required when I went to look up some recipes. I generally don't make it but I'm craving some potato kugel lately.

momstaxi

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 8:19 pm
My daughter is allergic to eggs, so I made an eggless potato kugel for many years. Everyone ate it and enjoyed, although the eggy version was preferred by most. I originally tried a new substitution each week until I discovered omitting the eggs was the best option. The recipe I used was 5 lbs potatoes, about 1/2 bag onions (about 3) cup heated oil, almost 1 1/2 tbs salt and 1/2 cup matza meal and 6 eggs. Grate potatoes and onions (dont drain) add hot oil, salt and matza meal. Enjoy!

Bruria

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 8:31 pm
I found this recipe from Mayim Bialik, I never tried it, but it seems promising:
http://www.kveller.com/activit.....shtml

mamitaly

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 8:05 am
Thanks. Looks good. I might try these for shabbat. My 3y.o. hardly ever eats potatoes, but these might work if we call them "muffins"...

Petra

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 9:32 am
I baked these last night. Will see how they turn out. They are more like kugel "mounds". I think because of their small size they might turn out a little dry.

EsaEinai

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 10:08 am
I agree with momstaxi. The best way to make a vegan potato kugel is simply to leave out the eggs. I typically grate half the potatoes and process the other half with the s blade until mushy. With that texture you don't really need eggs. (I of course also have onion, oil and spices). Let us know which recipe you went with and how it turns out!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 10:25 am
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....03344

Mommoy3.5 had a nice recipe that replaces the egg with zucchini /flour

dimyona

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 11:28 am
Not sure how the taste would work with potato kugel, but chia seeds mixed with water usually make a pretty good egg substitute.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics