Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Dining room chairs,advice please

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 1:43 pm
Hi, if anyone could please give advice about how to protect dining room chairs from getting dirty over the years.

I am about to buy dining room chairs that are a light color. The store owner said I can either use a sealant made from the same company as teflon to protect from stains but there would only be a 5 year warranty or I can have someone professionally put plastic coverings on the chair. He said it would look very professional and not bulky plastic.

I haven't taken notice as to what people do in their homes. I just never really noticed.

The chair has fabric on the seat part but also where your back is (and also on the back of the chair).

I was leaning towards the plastic coverings because I figured this would last longer than five years even though it's more expensive. but I rather the chairs last longer as they are also expensive

But then someone told me plastic can rip over time. was curious if anyone who uses plastic has had that happen. my mother has used plastic and hasn't had that happen (but she only needs plastic for the seat part of the chair)

I basically just wanted to see what other people do to protect their chairs from getting dirty. I know most people would probably get a darker color fabric but I won't change my mind about the color cuz I just prefer the look of a lighter fabric.

thanks!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 1:48 pm
We got ours upholstered in patterned faux leather aka vynal It looks like fabric, but can be wiped downto look new. Ours are cream.

momX4

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 3:25 pm
I have the plastic on my seat and back for 10 plus years. the plastic on the seat ripped in the past year or so. I do not plan to replace the plastic. I would love to replace the fabric with a vinyl leather looking material.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 3:32 pm
I recently did mine with plastic over fabric. DIY and it does look pretty good.

If the plastic starts to rip it's not such a big deal to replace it. I think they may charge around $20-25 per chair, but you can also DIY if you're handy.

DD just ordered new chairs and she got fabric on the back but a coordinating leather or vinyl on the front and seat.

That is definitely 'wipeable' & if you only use them on Shabbos, and your kids don't color in the dining room(!) it could last pretty well. But some kids are messier than others.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 5:00 pm
op here, thank you everyone for all your input! wow, so looks like this leather/vinyl material is the way to go these days.

ill have to ask the person im dealing with if he has any of this in his store.

sky

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 5:03 pm
You cannot do plastic over your fabric for all style chairs easily.

I've done my kitchen chairs quickly.

But my dining room chairs are a much bigger pain. The seats don't pull off and the plastic can't be wrapped around the chair. Where the plastic is stapled on it has to be covered to hide the staples. Mine has a ribbon that I HATE. It constantly falls off and I'm constantly gluing it back on. When I called the store they said they all do it - you just glue it back on. At the time I had meant to order piping on the border but forgot. It is attached differently so it doesn't fall off like the ribbons.
SEat cushions that remove from the chair with screws on the bottom are much easier to cover and look nicer.
I wish I would have thought of all this at the time - they were expensive chairs.

the plastic doesn't last that long. My chairs are now 8 years old and almost every plastic has a rip - I plan on doing it one day.

If I was doing it again I probably also would have used vinyl that looks like leather with metal head pins - much easier to keep clean (although the vinyl can tear).

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 8:29 pm
Plastic definitely can rip over time, and like sky said, the chair backs are much harder to deal with. I've spent lots of time gluing the ribbon trim on the back of the chairs but it just doesn't stay.
Can the spray be reapplied over time? Can you get something like scotch guard and re-apply after 5 years? Or, like others have said, get a vinyl/fake leather type material in the color you like.

kollel wife

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 10:51 am
Sorry if this sounds muddled.

I don't think scotch guarding or some sort of sealant works very well. Plastic will eventually rip but this is less true on dining room chairs than kitchen ones (used daily).
Can you choose a chair that won't need the back replaced (no material on the back.) That will save alot money wise and headaches wise in the long run. If you don't cover with plastic, you can replace the material too. Not much more expensive than recovering with plastic - the material is not so much in yards and not so expensive. The labor per chair will be a lot more especially if you have to do the back also.

sky

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 2:44 pm
The Happy Wife wrote:
Plastic definitely can rip over time, and like sky said, the chair backs are much harder to deal with. I've spent lots of time gluing the ribbon trim on the back of the chairs but it just doesn't stay.
Can the spray be reapplied over time? Can you get something like scotch guard and re-apply after 5 years? Or, like others have said, get a vinyl/fake leather type material in the color you like.

the seat part of mine is impossible to replace as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics