Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Please tell me about the community in Wesley Hills!

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 7:55 am
I know there have been other threads about this but the communities in Monsey do change so I need current information.

Is Wesley Hills mostly Jewish?
Are the Jewish families modern orthodox, yeshivish, chassidish?
What kind of people are moving in/out?
Any other useful info such as shuls, etc...

Tia!

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 8:01 am
Its mostly Jewish - "modern yeshivish" - everyone's DH works because its very expensive and lots of people have lots of money. It has gotten very wealthy and fancy over the 15 years that I have lived there.

Most of the women don't work and have full time help at home, so everything is very clean.

If the women work they are real estate agents, speach therapists or teachers (although I know of two women doctors, two women psycologists, and two women lawyers - out of several hundred families).

People send their children to YSV, Darchai Noam, Ateret, - some more to the right send boys to Bais Mikroh and girls to BYCC. A lot of people send their kids to YNJ in New Jersey. There is a bus.

If you don't mind wealthy rich NYers from Brooklyn, the area is very beautiful and green, there a large homes on large plots of land, with lots of trees - it is really one of the prettiest places to live.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 9:40 am
Depends where in Wesley Hills you are asking about. My area is not wealthy for the most part. Probably fits in "modern yeshivish" but that's a broad category. I know two men who are Rebbis. Most people don't have full time help. Most women don't stay home. I am the exception because of health problems and I always feel like I need to explain myself (I don't make my health issues public knowledge) . We and many of our neighbors are
obviously not wealthy, our house isn't fancy and my kids and I aren't wearing designer merchandise, our cars are old (one over 20 years) and most people I know drive simple or used cars. Quite a number of people are monsey natives (not Brooklyn transplants as the poster above writes)

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
Depends where in Wesley Hills you are asking about. My area is not wealthy for the most part. Probably fits in "modern yeshivish" but that's a broad category. I know two men who are Rebbis. Most people don't have full time help. Most women don't stay home. I am the exception because of health problems and I always feel like I need to explain myself (I don't make my health issues public knowledge) . We and many of our neighbors are
obviously not wealthy, our house isn't fancy and my kids and I aren't wearing designer merchandise, our cars are old (one over 20 years) and most people I know drive simple or used cars. Quite a number of people are monsey natives (not Brooklyn transplants as the poster above writes)

Agree with this poster. There are some streets where there are mostly wealthy people, but other streets with people of simpler lifestyles. It really depends.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:45 am
Op here, thanks, that is very helpful.

Can you please describe modern yeshivish? I'm assuming that means cover hair, don't wear pants, etc..?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:48 am
There are many people wearing pants without covered hair, but many with covered hair and without pants in Wesley Hills. It's not extremely wealthy at all. There are many different people of a variety of financial backgrounds. A lot of people would fit in well in Teaneck, but there are those who could move to Lakewood too.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:01 am
amother wrote:
There are many people wearing pants without covered hair, but many with covered hair and without pants in Wesley Hills.

Sorry, not understanding the above...

It's not extremely wealthy at all. There are many different people of a variety of financial backgrounds. A lot of people would fit in well in Teaneck, but there are those who could move to Lakewood too.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:03 am
amother wrote:

It means that there are some people who cover their hair, and some who do not.
Some who wear pants, and some who do not.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:12 am
amother wrote:
It means that there are some people who cover their hair, and some who do not.
Some who wear pants, and some who do not.

Got it, thanks:)

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 12:29 pm
Whaaat???
I don't know where in Wesley Hills you live but where I am (and I don't just mean my street but the surrounding ones as well) no one wears pants and everyone covers their hair. I also don't know ANYONE who sends to YNJ. Are you sure you're not describing Pomona?

"Modern Yeshivish" to me means, definitely covering hair, skirts to knee or a few inches over, YSV, Ateres, Darcei Noam, BYCC; Most men wear black hats. Denim skirts 100% fine, color of tights irrelevant, little girls wear short socks, knee socks fine, most people have internet (often filtered).

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
Whaaat???
I don't know where in Wesley Hills you live but where I am (and I don't just mean my street but the surrounding ones as well) no one wears pants and everyone covers their hair. I also don't know ANYONE who sends to YNJ. Are you sure you're not describing Pomona?

[b]"Modern Yeshivish" to me means, definitely covering hair, skirts to knee or a few inches over, YSV, Ateres, Darcei Noam, BYCC; Most men wear black hats. Denim skirts 100% fine, color of tights irrelevant, little girls wear short socks, knee socks fine, most people have internet (often filtered[/b]).

This is the type! Like everyone keeps kosher, covers hair and wears skirts that are just about long enough, some a little shorter but mostly not.
Some don't wear tights in the summer most do.
Def not a ritzy ritzy kind of place as a whole, some are rich some are poor.
Very laid back

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 2:50 pm
Wesley hills is a lot bigger than people are describing. There are wealthy areas, and not wealthy areas, people who cover their hair and people who don't. Overall, most people DO cover their hair, wear skirts, etc but I would say it's def a little more modern than other parts of Monsey. Probably more similar to Pomona but not as young of a crowd.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 5:05 pm
It's a nice place to live. Large lot sizes so the houses are pretty spread out. Very pretty streets, plenty of trees. Fair amount of shuls. Close to all the Monsey conveniences and the palisades.
Real estate is expensive here, and property taxes are high too, so the people who moved in the last ten years tend to be on the wealthier side. But most women work, in my experience. For the record, I know a lot more professionals than the op who posted about this- I don't think it matters, and I'm not sure what her point was.
What else? Lots of kids. Pretty friendly in general.
I definitely see a mix of schools in my neighborhood, with ynj and Ashar a presence, but the overwhelming majority send to ysv-type schools.
What exactly do you want to know op? Naomi streicher and several other realty teams agents live in Wesley hills. Call them and chat. They should be able to help you out.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 5:21 pm
Property taxes are high everywhere around here Sad (Monsey, Spring Valley, New Hempstead, Chestnut Ridge, Airmont etc...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating