Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help Can't decide if I should continue working.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 11:16 am
Ok so my story is a bit long.
I am currently in undergrad school for speech and hope to be in grad school next year. The hours will then be twice a week from 1:30-8.
I have a job now from 9-2:30 in a special ed school which is great for me for speech cause I can definitely get a job here later on and they will accommodate me with grad school hours and let me leave earlier on those days.

However the job I am at now takes me an hour travel time each way and I will soon need to leave two children at a babysitter so I will basically be working to cover the babysitter.

I am sorry if I am being unclear there are so many details involved that I can't think of how to write this clearer.

Should I continue working at my current job, try to find a different one closer to home or maybe stay home with my two little ones

kollel wife

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 11:25 am
You don't specify the number of days you go to work.
To me the job is part of your schooling, if it's flexible and will later get you a job. You're paying for the schooling, so it makes sense to pay for the experience you're getting, especially if you feel confident it can lead to a future job there.

Although that job may be a hour away, until you have experience you'd want to keep it.
What you don't say, though, is, how many years do you have until you complete graduate school, so how long will you have to keep this up?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 11:31 am
op here I currently work four days a week Mon- Thur and it will still take me about three years to finish my schooling.

Does it make sense to keep a job for so long at not earn anything just for a job afterwards?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 11:38 am
Why would you specifically want to work there once you graduate if it's such a long commute? I would look for a closer option so you actually earn some money meanwhile.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 11:41 am
OP so once I have my degree I don't have to work at their facility, I could get jobs from them to work with children and schools closer to home.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 11:45 am
And there's nothing else closer? Just not sure why you would commit yourself to such a long commute now, plus no earned income after paying the sitter.

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 12:16 pm
Cut cut cut your schedule! It's too much, too busy, no time for mommyhood. Your kids need time with you. You can't get these years back. Bond and build memories and attachments. When your kids are in school and not at a babysitter, then they'll be old enough for you to put more emphasis on your work.

self-actualization

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 12:24 pm
Sorry to disagree with Chani8 - I would say exactly the opposite. When your kids are really small, they are satisfied with being with a good babysitter and going to the park. As my kids get older, they need me much more. The OP has two very little kids. She has a very long road ahead in terms of parenting. Shouldn't she front-load the hard work, get experience and schooling under her belt, so that she can be in a good situation later?

(Also, I spent 6 months at home with a 2 year old and a newborn, in the winter, without a babysitter. It was one of the saddest, loneliest winters I ever had.)

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 12:32 pm
op- I think Chanie and SA are actually voicing two opposing sides that are holding me back from deciding on one hand I want to be home for my kids but if I don't finish my schooling now I can't see myself doing it later but should I stay at my job altogether maybe I should be home with my kids in the morning and do my schooling and then when I am done worry about getting a job.

I am so confused already

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 12:45 pm
I'm sorry, I was not saying to stop your schooling. It was the job I was meaning, if that helps any.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 1:22 pm
If you're happy to stay home with your kids I think you absolutely should. You're doing the whole commute and working just because you think you'll be guaranteed a good job with the company once you graduate in three years? Sounds very risky, and stressful for no reason.

If you feel the need to be working anyway, for your mental health or whatever, that's a different story.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics