Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Recipes for foods baalei teshuva used to eat (not treif!)
1  2  Next

ludicrous

Post Thu, Oct 16 2014, 3:55 pm
Can we start a collection of foods that baalei teshuva used to eat, and / or chalav stam foods that people used to eat?
for example,
quizno's cheese and vegetable sandwiches
girl scout cookies
cinnabon, etc
I could use a replication of foods that I miss!
or any websites that have replicas of those foods
thanks

abby1776

Post Thu, Oct 16 2014, 10:35 pm
Girl Scout cookies are kosher. They are under the OU.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 16 2014, 10:49 pm
ludicrous wrote:
Recipes for foods baalei teshuva used to eat (not treif!)

I don't get the question. If something is kosher, why is is "BT food"? Why wouldn't you still eat it after becoming observant?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Oct 16 2014, 11:33 pm
I can give you nostalgic foods. Mostly American foods that are hard to make here or not available. Most non kosher food can be made kosher without compromising. See all the kosher international I cookbooks.

myname1

Post Thu, Oct 16 2014, 11:55 pm
I think she's looking for copycat recipes for foods that are not inherently nonkosher, but were made by nonkosher companies or restaurants. OP- if you google, for example, "copycat recipes cinnabon," you get a bunch of recipes and websites that will have what you are looking for.

DrMom

Post Fri, Oct 17 2014, 12:33 am
myname1 wrote:
I think she's looking for copycat recipes for foods that are not inherently nonkosher, but were made by nonkosher companies or restaurants. OP- if you google, for example, "copycat recipes cinnabon," you get a bunch of recipes and websites that will have what you are looking for.

Ah - I was confused because most of the examples she cited were available kosher. (There are kosher cinnabon branches in Israel.)

ludicrous

Post Fri, Oct 17 2014, 12:40 am
to clarify, I don't eat chalav stam anymore and we only eat heimishe hechsheirim, meaning we don't eat things with a plain OU, so I am looking for replica recipes
thanks, keep the ideas coming

Onisa

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 12:52 pm
DrMom wrote:
Ah - I was confused because most of the examples she cited were available kosher. (There are kosher cinnabon branches in Israel.)

Where?

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 7:43 pm
I think there's one on Ibn Gviron, Tel Aviv, and Rehovot. Maybe more.

Interestingly, their website doesn't list Israel among the states where they have branches... although it lists "Palestinian Authority"and the Ramallah branch. So you can decide if you really want to eat there...

Nomad

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 8:22 pm
Check out allrecipes.com! I checked for a couple of things you posted and they have recipes for them.

ValleyMom

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 8:27 pm
I would like to see a kosher recipe for a shrimp cocktail or lobster.
I am FFB and have always been very curious what it tastes like...

mha3484

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 8:33 pm
It's funny, I really dont care for the fake crab but the "shrimp" variety has a much better texture. My local grocery store carries it. Shrimp and lobster have a pretty mild taste to begin with so its not hard to replicate imho.

I cook all of the same ethnic food I grew up on just minus the meat/milk combo. My two favorite dinners lately have been make your own burrito bowl ala chipotle and bbq chicken pizza from California Pizza Kitchen.

flmommy

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 8:55 pm
I miss olive garden salads...,,gonna try this

http://www.copykat.com/2009/03.....sing/

mandksima

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 10:44 pm
Came across this today and thought of this thread.
copycat recipes

There are good girl scout cookies recipes all over the internet. Those are pretty easy to replicate.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 4:12 am
Shrimp wise there are those fake shrimps in many salads in K restaurants. You can also buy them. I went through an obsession for them recently LOL!!
That said can't compare with the real.

Simple1

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 5:20 am
You can also try Todd Wilbur's top secret recipes website.

sprayonlove

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 5:25 am
I get a lot of recipes for things like that from pinterest

sky

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 6:19 am
abby1776 wrote:
Girl Scout cookies are kosher. They are under the OU.

but if you only eat Pas Yisroel and\or cholov yisroel those are out.

What about Paskez mint thin cookies (or something like that) it tasted very similar. It was a thin white cookie. With mint on top, dipped in chocolate. It was served frozen and reminded me of the taste very much. I once made a recipe that tasted like them but it was so much work it wasn't worth it.

Clone of Cinnabon: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/c.....abon/

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 7:28 am
I use to love to eat in ethnic restaurants. So while I found a reasonable recipe for the Indian Samosas I liked, in Moosewood Cookbook, I have not found ever the Thai cellophane noodles with a good hecksher that would make it possible to replicate some favorite Thai dishes.

mille

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 7:58 am
For ethnic food, your best bet is to use either authentic recipes and use kosher substitutions (which is great for cuisines without a lot of dairy, like many asian cuisines, so you can make meat recipes) or vegetarian versions of authentic recipes. This will net you better results than looking for specifically kosher versions of ethnic recipes. Some of the 'ethnic' kosher cookbooks are simply awful from an authentic point of view...

The fake shrimp like the dyna-sea brand really can't compare with real shrimp, but the fake shrimp that they use in all those vegan chinese restaurants that use fake meat really IS comparable. At some point, I knew the brand they used (it was under some common hechsher like OU or OK or something -- might not help those who eat 'heimishe hechsherim' but, well, you are going to be out of luck for a lot of stuff in that case Tongue Out). I can't find it anymore, but they also had plenty of other fake meats like duck/ham/chicken that were all incredible. You can also find cocktail sauce with an OU quite easily.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics