Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What can I do with two frozen Duncan Hines yellow cakes?

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 12:43 pm
My children made 1 box of a DH yellow cake mix (2 round oans). Any suggestions what I can do wyh them? I was thinking of making some sort of trifle for YT? What type of mousse would taste good with yellow cake?

Any other suggestions?

Lizzie4

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 12:58 pm
Do trifle cups with whipped cream

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 8:43 pm
One of my favorite easy desserts is personal trifles. We have small trifle glasses and when I'm not in the mood to wash, I just use nice plastic cups. I layer crumbled yellow on the bottom, put a dollum of whipped cream (rich's whip or the like) and then add strawberries, either fresh or in a syrupy sauce.

It's a lot of fun, tastes great and seems fancy even though it's the easiest thing in the world, try it!

(Just FYI for the future: there's a million variations on this, I do it with dancan heines chocolate cake, chocolate mousse and viennese crunch, etc.)

tigerwife

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 9:05 pm
Strawberries and cream for a strawberry shortcake.
Chocolate and the cover the entire cake with chocolate frosting so the inside is a 'surprise'.
Love the individual trifles ideas.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 9:16 pm
If you want to put some heavy cream with some sugar and a little vanilla extract through the mixer, you will get whipped cream. If you put a few strawberries in at the last minute, you will get pink whipped cream. If you put that on the cake, and stick strawberries all around on it, you will have strawberry shortcake.

Mash up some strawberries, and spread them over the bottom layer and then put the top layer on, and let the strawberries soak in a bit. Sprinkle a little sugar on them to draw their juice out.

Put the top layer on upside down. That way the top of the cake will be flat. This makes it easier to frost. (The top is humped. So you put the hump facing downward.)

People put strips of paper under the cake before frosting. Then they pull the strips away and the plate is clean.

Put a paper doily underneath the strips, for maximum display charm.

Keep it chilled. Pre-chill the bowl and the beaters.

But trifles are a great idea, and may be easier.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics