Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How would you respond?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 7:58 pm
In the past week 5 people have mentioned to me "maybe your husband can help us put up our sukkah" :/ dh happens to be very handy and loves stuff like they but 1. I have 4 under 4 and need his help and 2. It's a little weird. Helping one close family member seems somewhat normal, family, friends AND neighbors asking seems a little harder.

I got the number of someone local thst can help them (for a fee) it just feels rude to tell someone that dh can't help them out. Friends/neighbors/family typically help each other with schlepping etc.

Is it normal for one person to be asked to help with 5+ sukkas?

Dina_B613

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 8:29 pm
Depends. Do you owe those people favors or are they close friends? For most of my close friends, I do nice things for them and they do nice things for me and we ask each other to help in a reciprocal way. Do they help you with different things? If so, then it seems fine for them to ask for help. But not if they're schnorring off of you. Could you say something like this?

"My DH would love to help you, and we have been getting lots of requests for help with sukkahs. I need to go shopping this week, and he was planning on watching the kids. Would you mind watching the kids so that I could do some shopping if he helps you put up your sukkah?"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette