Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Does anyone else agree that it's ridiculous?
Previous  1  2  3

leah233

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:23 am
With Avrohom and Sora being from the most common frum names no one will think your children are geirim.

I even remember the opposite scenario. A stranger came to shul and was given an aliyah as "Avrom ben Avrom" Even then my brothers came home assuming he is a ger but wondering maybe his father named, Avrom, died before he was born.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:51 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
The name Sarah takes an H at the end. That H is standing for the Hey that Hashem gave her when she stopped being "Sarai" which means "my princess", her love-name from her husband, and, started being Hashem's princess. This transition was a huge leap for womankind. It is behind the strength and importance of Jewish women in our history and our social life.

So scrupulously keep and preserve that final H in the spelling of the name Sarah.

It is very important. That it makes no sound is part of its importance. In English, that H represents the Hebrew letter Hey, which is one of the four letters of the Tetragrammatron, one of G-d's names, one that is never pronounced.

But you knew that.

So all my family members who are named SARA are not named after Sara Eimainu?? The h is a letter in English. Not Hebrew. English has zero kedusha. In Hebrew their names are Sara, not Sarai. That's what counts.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names