Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Can't find a girl name we like
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 8:38 pm
I'm due within a month and we still haven't found a girl name we like. We have so many boy names we like and to choose from but can't decide on any girl names.

Please give us some ideas.

It will help to know we are sefardi and strongly prefer a source with any suggestion.

good times

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:00 pm
Temima, Kayla, ayala, simcha

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:01 pm
Are you looking for a name from tanach- jewish history or a pretty sounding name?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:13 pm
eema1 wrote:
Are you looking for a name from tanach- jewish history or a pretty sounding name?

Both Very Happy

Op

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:16 pm
Elisheva: It can have hip nicknames or more traditional ones, is from tanach, and is pretty. Anon b/c it's my name.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:18 pm
Ophira

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:21 pm
On our list of names we liked for girls, but did not use since we had boys...

Esther, Aliza, Aviva, Yael, Rayla(Yiddish for Rachel) and I most recently heard the name margolit- which I think is so elegant- I think it means pearl.
Since you are due around R"H and sukkot what about- hadassah for hadassim, etrog/aravot and lulav just don't work or go with Shana Tova, some people would never go for it, but I think its a cool name for RH time.

Check in the haftorahs around when your baby is due- maybe there will be something neat there to make a connection with.

B'shaa tova!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:25 pm
What about Sarah or some derivative (Sarit, Sarai), since Sarah was said to have given birth to Yitzhak on Rosh haShana?

You could also do 'Sultana' if you like the name Sarah but want something different - because it has a similar meaning to princess and is used by many Sephardim.

jemappelle

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:31 pm
2 of my sephardic husband's favorites (though we dont have any girls with these names as of now- we had names that we had to use) are haddasah & shifra (both from tanach)

spring13

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 11:39 pm
Ruchama
Meital
Moriah
Yiscah
Chedva
Dalia
Yakira
Naama/Neima
Eliora
Dania
Adi
Hadas
Keren
Michal
Nesya
Shalva
Ziva

Sultana is awesome Smile

Bruria

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 1:11 am
Ayelet
Shirel
Mazal
Hodaya
Hinda
Rayzel
Naomi
Reut
Moriah
Michal
Margalit
Layla
Meytal

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:25 am
Avigail has been a favorite of mine

We also do English names on birth certificates and Abigail Rose always sounded nice to me

chaniej

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 3:35 am
what names have u used in the past? that way we can get a sense of the names u like!

Frum

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 4:19 am
How about Ela? It can be written both with ayin or alef. I asked our rov about the alef version because of shem Hashem concerns, but he said that the word ela in Tenach is a strong tree (as in emek ha'ela). I like boththe name and its meaning.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 6:02 am
Orezbapesach Wink

You might want to be careful with Sultana - in some countries it's the word for a type of raisin!

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 6:38 am
shirel
ruchama
hadasa
liora
nechama
muriel

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 7:06 am
Sultana nn Susu is adorable

Look into the many gorgeous Sefardic names...
I happen to luv Orovida (golden life), Reyna (queen), Brilante (gem), Sol (sun), Estreya (Esther/star), Gioia/Joya (joy).
Some that are easy to bear in secular society, Bella (beautiful), Linda (pretty), Reina (alternative spelling of aforementioned queen), Clara (fair, clear), Blanca (white), Luna (moon), Gaia (happy).

http://www.s-gabriel.org/names......html
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names.....wish/
http://medievalscotland.org/km.....shtml
http://yorkspace.library.yorku.....nce=1

Rarer ones I can remember (haven't working on my Ladino name dictionary project since I've been having 2 babies closely, kah): Seda (silk), Dolsa/Dulsa (sweet), Delisia/Delicia.

Do you see something? maybe in the older generations by your family too?

My dds (one quarter Sefardi) have Mathilde (root of "strength", also associated with Mazaltov in Sefardic tradition, like rebb. Mizrachi), Diamante (diamond, like Ramchal's mother), Buena (good, like R' Yosef Caro's mother and dd).

ruby slippers

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 8:37 am
Maybe look for the mother's names of Sephardic rabbi's. Like what was Rav Ovadya's mother's name etc.

Miri1

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 10:07 am
Actually someone mentioned Margalit, I'm pretty sure this was the name of the wife of HaRav Ovadiah zt"l. Also a very beautiful meaning - pearl.

Miri1

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 10:11 am
"Hadassah" - a nice Sukkos name

"Hadar" - hints at the esrog - I've heard it used for both girls and boys, but you may want to ask a rav as the word itself is masculine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names