Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
18-mo old constipated, need ideas for solutions

MimiMommy

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 9:30 am
My 1.5 year old has been constipated for about a week - I can see she's trying but (almost) nothing comes out - and she's a picky eater so won't eat prunes/oatmeal, anything I can think of. The only thing she'll consume reliably is milk. Other than that, it's a gamble.
Any ideas for what to feed her that she'll like that can help? She's really uncomfortable.

emunahmother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 9:40 am
I literally just finished "unconstipating" my 18month old son! I skipped straight to a suppository bec I he was literally rolling on the floor pushing and came to me for help.

Think1st

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 9:45 am
How much fluid & fiber in his diet ?

potatoes

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 9:56 am
DD has been struggling with constipation since she was born! She is 2 now, and we are still dealing with it.
What worked for us:
Miralex for really bad days.
but now we switched to digestive enzymes to her diet and she takes a big spoonful of flax seeds daily, add to any food. It has no taste. She has it with apple sauce. It is natural, healthy, full of fiber and omega, works great!!!!
(Prune juice, suppository, never worked for her)

hatzlacha

asp40

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 10:07 am
See if you can add some.juice. No bananas or rice. Personally I would add miralax to a drink. Call your doctor and ask but we love miralax.

debsey

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 10:57 am
can you get her to drink a LOT of water? That can help. There's also a reflexology spot on the foot that's supposed to help. I never believe in that type of thing, except during my last pregnancy, I had that problem and a neighbor who is an amateur reflexologist did it for me and it really worked. Look for a video of how to do it on YouTube - it's basically rubbing the arch of the foot with firm pressure, upwards and outwards.

dv

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 11:53 am
My 2 year old has been through this....try miralax in her drink, mineral oil in her drink and if nothing else helps do a suppository...also I was told to cut down on the milk and dairy because it can constipate and drink A LOT of water or juice

git

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 12:27 pm
Fig juice worked for my 16 mo old. Better than prune juice. I found it in the health food store. On really bad days I'd use a suppository.

summer0808

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 4:27 pm
At this point you might need something like suppositories to get the child going. But on a regular basis give PEAR JUICE. Gerber or Beechnut makes it. It's in the baby food section of any decent supermarket. It tastes like apple juice so be careful not to give it to those that don't need it. It will make them too loose. BTW I use it myself in pregnancy and postpartum. It works!

imeinu

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 4:56 pm
asides for diet, try letting her sit a while in a warm bath.

naomi2

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 6:02 pm
it's very possibly the cows milk that's constipating her.
try fresh goats milk instead.

Esther23

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 7:47 pm
Milk is hard to digest for most people. If thats all shes having now thats probably the culprit here. Try switching milks. (Goat, almond...). Also digestive enzymes and probiotics help alot with constipation.

Esther23

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 7:48 pm
Double post

strawberry cola

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 7:59 pm
I saw an article in Binah's recent health supplement, saying that Mr Zimmerman zl of Freeda Vitamins advised a person suffering from constipation to eat boiled carrots, including the water in which they were boiled.
hatzlacha.

ElTam

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:41 pm
Fruit and lots of it. If that doesn't work, call the pediatrician. It can get serious if they get very backed up.

shiffycc

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:52 pm
Miralax

sheifelah

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 10:55 pm
Maybe try giving peaches/apricots/plums ... ?

ElTam

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 11:06 pm
For a kid that little, you need to talk to a pediatrician before using miralax to find out the proper amount.

My daughter needed mirilax at age five. It says right on the package, under 16, ask a doctor. The doctor will figure it out based on your child's weight, etc.

But really, try lots of fluids and fruits with the skins on or veggies if the child likes. That's more natural.

animeme

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 11:18 pm
Our Dr said to do a suppository, but that before we did that we should try slowly inserting and removing a well-lubricated rectal thermometer, as we would if taking a temperature. That was enough. Apparently sometimes that lubrication is enough to help stimulate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics