Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
I need a medal
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 3:15 pm
Well, DH is appreciative and I do feel good about myself but frankly I feel a need to brag a little more. Those of you who are good at keeping track of imamother personalities might have noticed that housekeeping is not my forte and I frequently feel overwhelmed even while cutting corners all over. Well, by other people's standards my home and life are still pretty messy and disorganized but I did a TON of hard work while I was off from work this month and I need a medal:

First of all, all this happened while my kids were home - no camp or babysitter when I'm off from work - and rarely had help with them. Tried to give them a good time with trips, attention, and such, plus they kept needing irrational peace offerings like food and stuff multiple times daily. Sheesh.

So, we did two long weekends visiting relatives in other cities, about one museum/zoo type trip each week, and various outings to local parks and library and such. And lots and lots and lots of coloring Tongue Out

On the quiet home days in between this and that:
- organized and cleared out piles of wrong-size clothes that I park in a certain spot as they accumulate until I put them away all at once. Unfortunately (for the housekeeping) that spot is heaped again because the kids shot up and more things landed on the "save for next kid/give away" piles so that needs to be done again, asap
- returned a bunch of things that I had bought online and turned out to be wrong sizes or such and were waiting way too long to go back.
- sold a couple of baby gear items on Craigslist (still attempting to sell more, if you want a deal on excellent condition/some new baby items in NYC/brooklyn please ask me!)
- made my bookshelves (aka dumping grounds) orderly
- refreshed bedroom organization from inside out - the drawers had all become hodgepodges due to lack of maintenance. This is going to disintegrate pretty fast but at least for a couple of weeks we've been able to close the drawers and find what we need.
- Mopped the floor. Yes I know this is something that should happen regularly but it's something I did and can acknowledge.
- Cleaned the bathroom thoroughly. I do it superficially all the time, thoroughly not often enough, and it was one of the first things I did when my time opened up so it already needs doing again. So I'd better write it here before the accomplishment disappears completely.
- Tested and threw away non-working pens, realized we had too many even working pens, purged, and organized the stationery-stuff drawer. This too I know from experience will not last but I did buy more sectioned containers especially for that so maybe it will hold up a drop better.
- Got to the bottom layer of kitchen counter clutter. Oh gosh this post is getting so embarrassing but I NEED MY MEDAL. Anyway this alone, partly due to interspersing with other things such as outings and feedings and all, took a couple of days of borderline child neglect to accomplish. But it looks great. Along with putting things away in general, I also ended up making certain cabinets more orderly to accommodate cleaning up things into them. Then I wiped down all the counter shmutz (yes I know this should be done daily; parts of it are, but in general it's hard to clean your counters when there are layers of clutter all over them embarrassed )
- Kept the dishes under control most of the time. Currently there is almost nothing in the sink. This will last about an hour tops, especially since it's erev Shabbos the pots and pans and mixing stuff are going to pile up again. But still, dishes are the bane of my existence and I really pushed myself hard to get on top of the situation.
- Made complete Shabbos plus guest once (making Shabbos is not so rare, but guests are, and I often have at least a little more help than I had this summer and also this was at the same time as all this other stuff - usually when I make Shabbos it involves wrecking the kitchen and can take more than the next week until everything is back in place) and made challah and dessert each time we went away for Shabbos.

for almost two weeks of this, I kept the Orange Rhino challenge. The last week I blew it big time and have been having a hard time getting past day one, so I'm on day 2 again and trying to stick with it. Frustration mounts for all of us as the togetherness time grows longer...

We did eat a lot of pasta, cereal, pretzels, and sandwiches; but we also had lots of fruits and vegetables and at least one normal quality home-prepared protein most days. Acceptable even if not ideal. I also rewarded myself a lot with ice cream/chocolate/coffee type indulgences, so it's a good thing there were no diet/fitness resolutions crammed onto my summer list, I hope it comes off embarrassed

I didn't touch the last closet that really needs dire intervention (dumping grounds) but there's still almost a week left of summer vacation! Also didn't do a whole list of shopping/errands. Sigh. And organizing papers/files was high on my list and did not even get touched. But even with all the things I still wish I'd gotten to, I still feel like a superhero for accomplishing so much at the same time as running Camp Mom (and I also did a couple of side-job gigs during the same time period). Also my therapist was on vacation this whole time.

I am not sure why husband appreciation and self-validation and a clean home and happy summer memories and pictures are not enough for me, but I came here to brag anyway. Hope I didn't offend anyone, is this super horrible middos or what??

goodmorning

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 3:22 pm
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Party Party Party Party Party*

That is really impressive. I am inspired! (Most of all, by the Orange Rhino challenge on top of this huge cleaning mission and no school for kids.)

tichellady

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 3:23 pm
good for you! Sounds like you worked really hard and got a lot accomplished. Amazing!

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 3:26 pm
Wow, seeker, that's amazing!!! Good for you!! My bigger kids were in camp and I have my two year old home with me, and I wasn't able to accomplish much.
Since we have not had a cleaning lady, I implemented something which I should have done a log time ago- my kids put away their own laundry. The only hing is, I have to stop watching y 7 year old do it, cu I get frustrated when he throw a everything.
I'm really not so good at the whole cleaning thing, and with ADHD I get very distracted very easily.
Sounds like, at least for now, you have things under control, whih is really awesome!!! It doesn't matter if your home meets other peoples' standards. You and your husband have to be comfortable with the way YOUR house is, and that's that.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 3:31 pm
Good for you!!!!!

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 3:33 pm
By te way, what's the orange rhino challenge? I could google it, but I don't like google-ing on my phone.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 3:38 pm
Congratulations! You should be proud of yourself.

I have a mountain of an organizing job to tackle and it's just been too daunting to begin. I'll try to take some inspiration from you.

We had a flood and had to completely redo our basement. Now I've got all these wonderful closets and there are piles of stuff all over the house to go in them. We have to sort through everything and figure out how we want to organize the basement. I'm just not an organized type of person, so I'm feeling overwhelmed. I'll be thrilled when it's all done though.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 4:00 pm
eema of 3, the Orange Rhino challenge is to not yell AT ALL for a certain amount of time. If you yell, you reset to zero. The original was a year but you take on whatever you feel would work best for you. I aimed for 30 days and so far flopped miserably; I am not usually such a big yeller so I didn't think it would be THIS hard, but I guess it's been intense lately - will hopefully be easier when kid goes back to school. And maybe when my therapist gets back.

forgot to list that I also totally organized the linen/cleaning/medicine closet.

Thanks for the validation all Very Happy

little_mage

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 4:20 pm
Good job. Can you come give me a little of that motivation?

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 4:55 pm
Sure, little_mage. It's easy. All you have to do is neglect housekeeping for about 6 months and let things pile up until you can't find an empty space for anything and everything you move knocks something over. You will then be motivated to clean up! Tongue Out

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 4:56 pm
Wow. Good for you.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 5:09 pm
WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hooray Not worthy

I'm doing the same thing as you, I hadn't really been able to clean for oh 10 months or so (I'm in school and it's been intense), and I had 2.5 weeks to get things decent before my MIL arrives (she's arriving this Shabbos - not frum). It's been HARD without camp and school for the kids. We ate a lot of carbs and cheese and my kids watched videos more than I'd like, but we did little trips too and spent nice time together. Anyway, things aren't immaculate at all, but oh my gosh I feel like we can have guests again and I'm super super super excited, I just invited friends for Rosh Hashanah because now I can!!!!

I've been listening to A Slob Comes Clean podcasts and they help me. I like how she said that creative people who get really into their passions are the ones who have trouble keeping a house together, and she said that it's a challenge that never goes away, so it's unrealistic to dream that someday you won't have this problem. She said you can learn to keep things together, but it's always going to require more effort than non-messies. For me that was freeing, as it gave me permission to let go of wanting to someday be perfect.

Undefined

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 5:25 pm
You go girl!!! Here's your medal Ice cream Ice cream cool mom award

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 5:39 pm
Congrats! You rock!

Can you post a list of the baby items you mentioned?

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 6:03 pm
amother wrote:
Congrats! You rock!

Can you post a list of the baby items you mentioned?

Boba 3G carrier, black, brand new in box (bought and never used)
Babyhawk Mei Tai, also brand new in package, mudsurf pattern (very pretty!)
Chicco Keyfit 30 infant car seat with base, red/gray, used but kept in pristine condition, no accidents. Great seat.
Assorted girly clothes ranging from newborn to 2T, a smattering of larger too. Some brand new (unneeded gifts) others used in various states of wear.
Various small (baby) toys and (various ages) books that we no longer use/want. Nothing major worth traveling for but if someone wanted to buy any of the other items you may as well look through those too.
No longer in excellent condition but still with life left: Pregnancy Back-n-body pillow with 2 pillow cases.
Whatever is in the bottom of that closet I haven't tackled yet. Rolling Eyes

Message me with an offer for pricing.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 9:22 pm
amother wrote:

I've been listening to A Slob Comes Clean podcasts and they help me. I like how she said that creative people who get really into their passions are the ones who have trouble keeping a house together, and she said that it's a challenge that never goes away, so it's unrealistic to dream that someday you won't have this problem. She said you can learn to keep things together, but it's always going to require more effort than non-messies. For me that was freeing, as it gave me permission to let go of wanting to someday be perfect.

Thank you for posting that, it really hit my heart. I'm a jewelry designer, and my house always looks like the aftermath of a tornado, no matter how hard I try to tidy up as I go along. I look back, and it never looks like I've done anything! DD is creative and messy as well, and DH dumps his seforim and paperwork everywhere, so it's like shoveling sand back into the ocean all day. I have so much shame, I never have company over if I can help it. I'm always apologizing for the state of my housekeeping. embarrassed

Seeker, you are amazing. I got tired just reading your post!

grace413

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 4:30 pm
I'm impressed! Good for you.

Now if I could be motivated and inspired, that would be great.

Blue jay

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 9:39 pm
Cheers Cheers Cheers

Yes to medal!

Last week I cleaned 3 inches of dust and grime out of my master bedroom. Can I get a medal too?
I'll take the chocolate kind..... Very Happy

You go girl!

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 12:02 am
I will have to try those Slob Comes Clean podcasts.
I don't find it so hard to be motivated for a big clean-up job. Hard to stick it out to get it done, but it is motivating to dig out of mess and rewarding to see the change. However, it is SUPER hard to keep myself motivated to do the day-to-day upkeep that it would take to prevent these disaster situations from forming in the first place. No clue how to do that. It just keeps happening over and over.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 12:28 am
Agreed, you deserve a medal.

I find with cleaning and organizing, it just NEVER ends, esp laundry and dishes. I think I deserve a medal too. This summer I managed to:

-reorganize son's bedroom - finally got a big boy bed (no more toddler bed). Found this awesome kids ikea loft bed used on ikea for a great price. Since it's a loft bed, he can play underneath, so I made no-sew curtains to hang under his bed so he a cool hang out area.
-got rid of several bags of old clothes that don't hit for for me or son
- reorganized my bedroom closet (I can actually find stuff now). Reorganized several drawers of my clothes (I can actually find tichels now).
- caught up on laundry. I had tons of random laundry that had been sitting for months. Some was clean and hadn't been out away yet and some of course just needed to be washed.
- got rid of several bags of books and old toys
- shredded 5 trash bags of old papers in the shredder (10 + yrs old bank statements and other financial documents)
- started to clean out garage, got 3-4 bags of stuff out of it

This is a lot for me. I'm not an organized person.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics