Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Ideas how to bread chicken breasts
1  2  Next

gmgv

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:47 pm
My husband recently decided that he'd like chicken breasts to be breaded rather than with a sauce/spices. I'm racking my brains to think how I can bread the cutlets with something other than breadcrumbs. Any ideas??

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:52 pm
Why not breadcrumbs?

Cornflake crumbs
Crushed pretzels
Crushed crackers
Crushed French fried onions (the ones that come in a can)
Crushed potato chips (BBQ flavored maybe?)

gmgv

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:54 pm
Breadcrumbs are great but I'm looking for variety cuz I make cutlets 2-3 times a week. Thanks for your ideas! Have you ever used any of those ingredients and baked the chicken or you've only fried?

Simple1

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 1:09 pm
You can also pour sauce over the breaded chicken. The breading plus sauce will have a richer texture.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 1:11 pm
I only bake chicken cutlets. I usually use either breadcrumbs or cornflake crumbs. I've only heard of people using the other methods.

You can make fancier or different flavored breaded chicken for shabbos. Two favorites in my house are zaatar chicken (mix breadcrumbs and zaatar spice) and horseradish chicken (marinate chicken overnight in mixture of horseradish, honey and mustard then bread and bake).

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 1:17 pm
Cornmeal? Matzah meal?

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 1:20 pm
Would your husband eat grilled chicken? Do you have a BBQ, grill pan, or George Forman grill?

We often marinade chicken and then grill it. It has flavor but isn't saucy.

Barbara

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 1:22 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Why not breadcrumbs?

Cornflake crumbs
Crushed pretzels
Crushed crackers
Crushed French fried onions (the ones that come in a can)
Crushed potato chips (BBQ flavored maybe?)

Cornflakes (not crumbs)
Sesame seeds
Panko

You can add different spices to the breadcrumbs for different flavors, much like you'd use a rub on uncoated chicken, or use different sauces.

I usually (but not always) brown the coating in a pan, but then I bake the chicken.

pumpernickle

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 3:16 pm
I make a combination of
1 cup cornflakes crumbs
1 cup crushed salty pretzel crumbs. ( u can buy them ready or crush it yourself,do not crush it all the way to add crunch.)
1 cup any sweet cereal semi Crushed. (Ive done it with honeycombs or sugar puffed wheat.
coat the chicken in flour, then eggs, then in the crumbs. Fry on both sides till golden. Its a perfect twist on traditional schnitzel.

You can also use crushed barbecue potato chips or bbq corn chips. If u like heat, u can try doing it with hot fries. Good luck and enjoy!

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 3:33 pm
The Dining In cookbook has a good batter one that everyone here loves. I also bread it sometimes with a mix of breadcrumbs and cornflake crumbs.

CatLady

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 3:46 pm
Quote:
I make a combination of
1 cup cornflakes crumbs
1 cup crushed salty pretzel crumbs. ( u can buy them ready or crush it yourself,do not crush it all the way to add crunch.)
1 cup any sweet cereal semi Crushed. (Ive done it with honeycombs or sugar puffed wheat.
coat the chicken in flour, then eggs, then in the crumbs. Fry on both sides till golden. Its a perfect twist on traditional schnitzel.

Oh, pumpernickle, you had me at the pretzel crumbs! I'd expect to see this on a show like Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, which means I'd have to make four times the usual quantity for my family. I'm saving this for Rosh Hashanah, because the cereal will symbolize having a sweet year, and I'll give you feedback.

acccdac

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 8:34 pm
I do duck sauce and then flavored breadcrumbs, totally different than a schnitzel (baked)

if no peanut allergy I like this one, but it has to be fried, tried making it baked and it didnt taste good (peanut flavor wasnt brought out)
http://www.realsimple.com/food.....4595/

heidi

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 2:11 pm
My friend swears by crushed bissli. I wouldn't want to try it, but hey, who knows?

tigerwife

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 4:14 pm
Sometimes I do a sweet schnitzel, first dipping in mayo mixed with garlic powder and paprika, then coating in panko mixed with a little brown sugar.

Sometimes I marinate the chicken first in a honey/mustard/crushed garlic mixture (doesn't have to be for long- even 10 minutes is enough) and then I coat it, spray and bake.

I personally like using crushed plain corn flakes as a coating, it makes it extra crispy. I once used potato chips- it actually was pretty good, but it was weird to use a snack as a dinner ingredient.

I always bake. If you dip first in flour, then beaten eggs, then your preferred coating, and spray bottom and top with pan, it has the same taste and texture as fried schnitzel.

lech lecha08

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 4:22 pm
I make a honey mustard sauce, pour it over chicken and then sprinkle cornflake crumbs on top. Really good

a1mom

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 10:45 pm
I coat in a mix of crushed kix cereal and crushed pretzels

yaelinIN

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 10:49 pm
Nuts - pecans, walnuts, almonds.

miri36

Post Sat, Aug 30 2014, 11:52 pm
Kosher by Design Entertains has a really easy delicious recipe. You coat the cutlets with chumus and then cover with crushed terra chips. It's delicious! (And I don't like chumus)

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 5:17 am
I make them all the time for Friday night dinner. DH and DD inhale them like they're going out of style.

first, filet the cutlets into two or more pieces. You want them thinner. Then you put them between two layers of plastic wrap and pound the heck out of them. I use a small, heavy sauce pan, because I don't have a tenderizing mallet. If you skip the pounding step, they will be tough.

Once you get them all hammered about 1/4 of an inch or more, dip them in flour. Dip in whisked egg, and then make a mix of half Hodgson's Mill gluten free seasoned crumb coating and half instant potato flakes (Landers). I like to fry mine in a small amount of peanut oil, because you can fry at a higher heat with less oil, and it doesn't spatter all over the place. It gives a nice flavor without tasting "nutty".

These reheat really nicely the next day without getting soggy, and DH likes them cold as a snack.

Sometime I make dipping sauces on the side like parve ranch or honey mustard. DD likes hers drowned in straight lemon juice.

Leftovers are really good sliced thin and served over a salad for a quick lunch.

animeme

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 7:41 am
Dip cutlets in Italian dressing (or marinate in a ziploc bag of it for however long) and then into a mixture of breadcrumbs and matza meal. Bake in a pan with sliced onion and a little oil on the bottom. No need to pound. Twenty minutes per side.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey