Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Homemade Mozzarella

Mommastuff

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 12:03 am
Does anyone have a tried and true recipe to make mozzarella cheese at home?
I'm looking for one that is for hard cheese.

What ingredients do you use? How long does it take to make? Does it come out the same with low fat or skim milk and whole milk?

thanks

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 3:48 am
How do you get kosher rennet? I have a recipe for stringly-style Syrian cheese but haven't made it because it uses loads of fresh milk to get small amount, and also requires rennet.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 5:42 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
How do you get kosher rennet? I have a recipe for stringly-style Syrian cheese but haven't made it because it uses loads of fresh milk to get small amount, and also requires rennet.

I want to know too! I make my own Indian paneer with vinegar to set the curd, but I would love to find some kosher rennet, and the bacterial cultures to do different types of cheese.

We keep Cholov Isroel, and the milk always goes slightly off before we can finish it. I keep a big jar in the back of the fridge, and add the old milk to it until it's full. When it hits the gallon mark I make my paneer.

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 8:58 am
[quote water for 10="Mommastuff"]Does anyone have a tried and true recipe to make mozzarella cheese at home?
I'm looking for one that is for hard cheese.
F
What ingredients do you use? How long does it take to make? Does it come out the same with low fat or skim milk and whole milk?

thanks[/quote]

Mozzarella is not a hard cheese.

I have made it from CY curds. 180° salt water for 10 minutes stirring constantly. I make nice pinwheels alternating with basil, etc.

little_mage

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:51 am
We ordered kosher rennet (OK) from www.dairyconnection.com It's worked pretty well for us. However, OP, you're never going to be able to make mozzarella into a hard cheese. It isn't one, so it's just not going to work.

Mommastuff

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 3:06 pm
http://www.thecheesemaker.com/ has kosher rennet and cultures.

I know that mozzarella isn't a "hard" cheese but I'm looking for a hard mozzarella, like the chunk/block cheese you can buy and slice. Homemade is usually stringy, no?

What do they put in to make it the consistency of the block?

Anybody make that kind of "hard" cheese?

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 3:33 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I want to know too! I make my own Indian paneer with vinegar to set the curd, but I would love to find some kosher rennet, and the bacterial cultures to do different types of cheese.

We keep Cholov Isroel, and the milk always goes slightly off before we can finish it. I keep a big jar in the back of the fridge, and add the old milk to it until it's full. When it hits the gallon mark I make my paneer.

Yum yum yum, I love paneer, but can't get it, how do you make your own?

debsey

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 4:00 pm
You mean like a soft ball u can slice, rather than the Syrian style stringy braided mozzarella?

Ema29

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 4:14 pm
Squishy wrote:

I have made it from CY curds. 180° salt water for 10 minutes stirring constantly. I make nice pinwheels alternating with basil, etc.

Can you tell me what this means?

mille

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 4:17 pm
Frumdoc wrote:
Yum yum yum, I love paneer, but can't get it, how do you make your own?

Paneer requires no rennet. This is the recipe I've used (or one very like it): http://www.manjulaskitchen.com.....neer/

Just milk and lemon juice (I guess vinegar would work too, I've always used lemon juice) and some time/effort. Enjoy!

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 4:39 pm
Taking notes, here. Thanks. You are so smart.

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 6:39 pm
mille wrote:
Paneer requires no rennet. This is the recipe I've used (or one very like it): http://www.manjulaskitchen.com.....neer/

Just milk and lemon juice (I guess vinegar would work too, I've always used lemon juice) and some time/effort. Enjoy!

Thanks so much, what a great website, some of my favorite indian veggie recipes.
Now I can't wait for my next day off so I can make saag paneer, mutta paneer, channa daal etc. Along with my beloved mango chutney and various pakoras, oh, and the dill yoghurt dip or a lassi to finish with.

Mouth is watering just thinking about it. I wonder if you can make it with soy milk, or how it would taste? Not great for lactose intolerance, but worth it for a treat!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals