Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
8-month-old daily meals

ein od milvado

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 9:50 pm
Hi ladies,
During the past weeks I've started introducing my infant (who's now 8 months old) to solids - so far he eats fruits like apples, bananas, pears, avocado, and vegetables like potato/sweet potato, green beans, carrots, lettuce leaves, zucchini (I steam everything). Besides that, almost two weeks ago I started with rice cereal, and after a week gave it a try with the 5 grains...

First of all I'm not sure if he should be having two or three meals a day and what amounts.. I feel whatever I put in his mouth he'll eat, and I know at that age there's not such a thing like overfeeding but there has to be a limit amount, isn't it true?

But the main reason why I'm writing this post is because I would like to ask you all for your creativity, your advice regarding meals - I'm tired of the same combinations! Any ideas? At what point do you start adding spices, if you do at all before their first birthday?

mandr

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 10:24 pm
Are you also nursing or giving formula?

My baby is 9 months and I am going through the same thing. I give my baby oatmeal and a fruit every morning. Then at suppertime I give him whatever we are eating if it's safe. I peel a peach or plum or apricot every day and cut them into cubes the size of "kugelach" and he picks them off the tray to eat. Much more exciting that fruits in a jar. Suppertime I give him mashed potatoes, french fries, small bits of chicken, beef stew that I blended (with the veggies), potato kugel on Shabbos and Sunday, bread, etc. I recall reading it's not a good idea to add salt, though I don't go out of my way to give him unsalted stuff. I just don't add any extra.

Only breakfast is a REAL meal for him because suppertime is just here and there and it's not every night that he eats with us (sometimes he is asleep or we have nothing that we can give him). I am nursing and want to nurse as much as possible for at least a year, but after his birthday I will start to cut out nursing sessions and replace with a meal.

At this age you should offer foods after nursing/bottle because "Food until one is just for fun".

ein od milvado

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 12:08 am
mandr wrote:
Are you also nursing or giving formula?

My baby is 9 months and I am going through the same thing. I give my baby oatmeal and a fruit every morning. Then at suppertime I give him whatever we are eating if it's safe. I peel a peach or plum or apricot every day and cut them into cubes the size of "kugelach" and he picks them off the tray to eat. Much more exciting that fruits in a jar. Suppertime I give him mashed potatoes, french fries, small bits of chicken, beef stew that I blended (with the veggies), potato kugel on Shabbos and Sunday, bread, etc. I recall reading it's not a good idea to add salt, though I don't go out of my way to give him unsalted stuff. I just don't add any extra.

Only breakfast is a REAL meal for him because suppertime is just here and there and it's not every night that he eats with us (sometimes he is asleep or we have nothing that we can give him). I am nursing and want to nurse as much as possible for at least a year, but after his birthday I will start to cut out nursing sessions and replace with a meal.

At this age you should offer foods after nursing/bottle because "Food until one is just for fun".
[quote]

Yes, forgot to mention that... I'm nursing him still too every three hours.

Thank you!!

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 12:27 am
There are no set rules, just make sure that solids don't take the place of nursing at all. You want him to get used to different tastes and textures and that can happen any way you want, so long as he continues to nurse as usual.

ein od milvado

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 12:53 am
I've been feeling I don't have so much milk anymore for a while... he nurses for a few min and stops...hope it's normal iyh and not that cvs I have to introduce formula (which I wouldn't like to). I mean he's gaining weight just fine bh.

I just need different combinations of veggies and fruits to try new flavors!

bananasplit

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:59 am
My baby is also 8 months old. I usually give him 2 meals a day and I'm nursing. Do you give oatmeal with breastmilk?

ein od milvado

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:50 am
Not real oatmeal...baby rice and 5 grains cereal with a bit of water

sunny90

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 7:54 am
My 8 month old DS eats 3 full meals a day--he loves food!
Breakfast: baby oatmeal with milk or water and cheerios
Lunch: plain yogurt with a fruit--banana, applesauce. I'm working on his pincer grip with the cheerios so he'll be able to pick up small pieces by himself.
Dinner: I make veg soup and freeze in sandwich bags. I add oatmeal to thicken it. I'm going to start giving him egg now. He also will eat tiny pieces of chicken or meat mixed in.
I nurse him 4x a day now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics