Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
He started making on the floor

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 7:50 pm
My son is 4 and he has been toilet trained for over a year.
he recently started making on the floor in the bathroom, when I ask him about it, he tells me that his private part just isn't working well.
I gave him a stool etc, whatever I do he ends up just making a puddle on the floor....
I am constantly cleaning up puddles....and it's gross. besides he gets his pants also wet.

also he started waking up at night and go around the house, and just being up for a few hours.
while the house is quiet and everyone is sleeping.

anyone have a clue what I can do to stop both things ?

amother, bc I told a few friends my issue.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 8:14 pm
Male him clean it up himself and he will stop pretty quickly.

Is he awake at night or sleep walking? If he's awake you can make some rules, like he has to stay in bed but her can look at books with a flashlight.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 8:22 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Male him clean it up himself and he will stop pretty quickly.

Is he awake at night or sleep walking? If he's awake you can make some rules, like he has to stay in bed but her can look at books with a flashlight.

I agree with mabellevie - your son is old enough to clean up pee off the floor. My son is 6 and still occasionally gets pee on the floor or toilet seat - I always make him clean it up.

When is he getting up in the middle of the night? Do u know why? Is he hungry, or just bored? Maybe he doesn't need an afternoon nap anymore if he's still taking one. There are also special alarm clocks for kids (one is called ok to wake I think) that has colors and say when it's okay for them to get out of bed (red means stay in bed, green ok to get up now) - maybe that might be helpful.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 8:43 pm
my son started wetting the bed after being night trained for over six months. he also started acting weird. I found out that his preschool morah was abusive. please check out your son's day camp situation. this is not unusual if he's unhappy. there could be a problem with the staff or another kid.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 9:24 pm
OP here,
he is with the same teachers over the summer, as he was before.
and he is up, not sleep walking.

I am pregnant and am not able to be there all the way for him (tired, back hurts etc) so maybe he feels a change and is having it hard.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
OP here,
he is with the same teachers over the summer, as he was before.
and he is up, not sleep walking.

I am pregnant and am not able to be there all the way for him (tired, back hurts etc) so maybe he feels a change and is having it hard.

that could be, but check out the camp situation regardless. I have worked with a teacher who went from wonderful to abusive (locking a kid in a closet for 45 minutes, to clarify) in a few months. this was due to a difficult pregnancy on her part and pressure to continue working to support her family. she burned out. there could be a change in the morah's behavior, or he could have a problem with a boy in his bunk, a boy on the bus, the bus counselor, an assistant morah who's new, etc. has he been having accidents in camp? waking at night sounds like he's anxious about something.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 9:33 pm
I will look into it.
I don't think much changed in camp, but I will speak with the teachers ans ask them.
I don't know what would make him anxious, I will try to speak with him tomorrow, and maybe he can tell me.
thanks

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:
I will look into it.
I don't think much changed in camp, but I will speak with the teachers ans ask them.
I don't know what would make him anxious, I will try to speak with him tomorrow, and maybe he can tell me.
thanks

sure. just to give an idea, when my ds was in this situation, he started out very happy. once he had a few toileting accidents in school, his morah got mean about it, which led to him being anxious, which led to him having accidents at home. I didn't react calmly (which I regret) which made him more anxious. I'm pretty sure his behavior was partially due to anxiety specific to bathroom problems.

of course, it could be nothing like this, but my immediate reaction to changes in behavior like this is to check out the daily environment. it's best to get that off your list.

it's also possible he's having vision problems, causing him to miss the toilet and get his pants wet. if he's specifically having a hard time aiming, have him stand facing the toilet as usual, then put his hands on the top of the toilet tank (or as close to the top as he can reach while keeping his feet on the floor). he shouldn't miss if he stands like that.

bnm

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 10:06 pm
my kid had sleep apnea, she would get out of bed, head to the toilet and end up at the booster seat, do what she needed to do and get back into bed.... it would get worse when she had strep, once we took out her tonsils and adenoids it all cleared up.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 10:16 pm
When DD was 5, she started having accidents. I tried asking her about her day at school, but wasn't getting any real answers. I stumbled upon a good way to get her to talk. I call it the "best thing, worst thing" technique.

I ask her "What was the best thing that happened today?" and then let her talk.
Then I ask her "What was the worst thing that happened?" and really listen hard.
Once you've gone over the worst thing, go back to the best thing so that she'll feel like the bad thing isn't so horrible. Figure out what the bad thing is, and work to resolve it for her.

I do this right before bedtime, when she's the most calm and willing to be introspective. Be ending on the best thing, she can go to sleep with happy thoughts. By putting it in a simple two question format, it helps her focus her thoughts and express herself more efficiently. "How was your day at school?" is not going to get you the answers you need.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics