Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How strict are airlines about suitcase measurements?

mazelandbracha

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 4:10 pm
I'm flying for the first time in a really long time, and I have suitcases that are at least 10-15 years old. When I measured one it came out to about 65 inches, and I'm only supposed to have 62. I measured including wheels, and an empty, not stuffed suitcase. Are they that picky?

rachel6543

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 4:36 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/I......html

An article I read recently on this topic

mirror

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 4:37 pm
Can you call the airline?

rachel91

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 5:02 pm
Depends on the airline, I wouldn't take the risk.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 5:12 pm
As long as it more or less looks like a normal size I've never had anyone measure anything but weight. If it's an unusual shape it may be more likely to draw attention.

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 7:27 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
As long as it more or less looks like a normal size I've never had anyone measure anything but weight. If it's an unusual shape it may be more likely to draw attention.

I had my suit cases stuffed in a metal cage to see if they were within the size requirements.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 7:29 pm
Squishy wrote:
I had my suit cases stuffed in a metal cage to see if they were within the size requirements.

I've had that with carry ons only. They tend to be stricter about those, since dimensions do make a big difference.

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 7:50 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I've had that with carry ons only. They tend to be stricter about those, since dimensions do make a big difference.

Most times I have had that with carry ons flying within the US, however, I have had this with checked luggage also.

PAMOM

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:04 am
In general, the weight of a checked bag is the main concern. If you're really worried and your airline has curbside check- in, you can give the guy at the check- in counter a bigger tip and he'll just check you in.

Beauticianista

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 10:14 am
Until recently most airlines never bothered with measurements, even though their official policy is that it has to fit their guidelines.

However, some airlines have been getting stricter lately, one can only assume because they are searching for more ways to collect fees. So it all really depends on who you get at check-in. I would not personally take the chance of missing flight/paying oversize, you can buy sets for really cheap nowadays I don't think it's worth the risk
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics