Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Married At First Sight
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 8:30 am
Married At First Sight, crazy new reality show.

http://www.fyi.tv/shows/marrie.....ode-1

A social experiment where therapist pick your spouse and you can't meet them until the alter. It is a train wreck.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 8:42 am
What we're hearing about some therapists, it's bound to be a train wreck.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 12:26 pm
Makes more sense than the bachelor/bachelorette and look how long those are running.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 12:32 pm
I'm really enjoying it!!! LOL Reminds me of my chassidishe shidduch...!

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 3:09 pm
amother wrote:
I'm really enjoying it!!! LOL Reminds me of my chassidishe shidduch...!

OP here, I enjoy it but I think the people who sign up are nuts.

I don't think it is like a Chasidish shidduch at all. One you meet the potential mate, your parents researched him/her and you know their name. None of that goes on here.

I also don't believe they are really married because they did not go for a marriage licence.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 3:17 pm
amother wrote:
OP here, I enjoy it but I think the people who sign up are nuts.

I don't think it is like a Chasidish shidduch at all. One you meet the potential mate, your parents researched him/her and you know their name. None of that goes on here.

I also don't believe they are really married because they did not go for a marriage licence.

You think parents evaluating your future spouse based on "what the street knows" and "what will be good for the family" is better than a team of professionals who consult you directly about your preferences and then try to find you the perfect match based on that, and THEN continue to guide you for six months? Why?

(FWIW, I think all reality TV shows are fake.)

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 3:43 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
You think parents evaluating your future spouse based on "what the street knows" and "what will be good for the family" is better than a team of professionals who consult you directly about your preferences and then try to find you the perfect match based on that, and THEN continue to guide you for six months? Why?

(FWIW, I think all reality TV shows are fake.)

I said the situation is not the same, not at all.

Since I did not do either, how would I know.

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 5:42 pm
I was waiting for someone to post abt this show. I love it!!!

All the research involved makes for an interesting social experiment. I'm rooting for the firefighter whose mom is ill. They both seemed so sweet.Smile

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 7:59 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
I was waiting for someone to post abt this show. I love it!!!

All the research involved makes for an interesting social experiment. I'm rooting for the firefighter whose mom is ill. They both seemed so sweet.Smile

I like that couple too.

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 8:02 pm
Reality TV is scripted. I also listened to the "vows" to see if the person performing the ceremony ever said -- "by the power invested in me by New York State" -- but nope. It could be that the marriage license stuff was done separately. For example, my officiant (my Rabbi) had nothing to do with our marriage license. He just performed the religious ceremony. City Hall had to take care of the rest. :/

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 8:04 pm
What channel is it on Optimum/cablevision?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 8:07 pm
amother wrote:
What channel is it on Optimum/cablevision?

I watched it online, so don't know.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 8:09 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
Reality TV is scripted. I also listened to the "vows" to see if the person performing the ceremony ever said -- "by the power invested in me by New York State" -- but nope. It could be that the marriage license stuff was done separately. For example, my officiant (my Rabbi) had nothing to do with our marriage license. He just performed the religious ceremony. City Hall had to take care of the rest. :/

I needed the license before I got married, you need to know who are you marrying in order to get the license. We had to go in person with identification in order to get it and we had to go together.

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:
I watched it online, so don't know.

Do you have an "On Demand" button on your TV remote? If so, click it, go to "Primetime TV" and it's on the "FYI" channel (formerly Bio channel).

mirror

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 10:21 pm
I just watched it online.

I can sum it up in one word: Creepy. Sick

lilnsgirl

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 10:38 pm
I checked it out for the heck of it. Just a bunch of people looking for their 2 second of "fame". Jaimee (I believe she was the first girl who wasn't attracted to the guy) was on the bachelorette.

iriska_meller

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 12:27 am
I actually met Jaime in real life, and it is my opinion that she is doing it 100% for TV exposure.
I'll bet that they all going to start fighting soon - otherwise it wouldn't be entertaining

penguin

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 9:18 pm
Just a second. Does anyone know what city they got married in? And what the rules are for a marriage license? Because where I live you have to fill out some paperwork. It wouldn't really be possible to apply for a marriage license without knowing the other person's name. Unless the network did it for them?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 9:27 pm
penguin wrote:
Just a second. Does anyone know what city they got married in? And what the rules are for a marriage license? Because where I live you have to fill out some paperwork. It wouldn't really be possible to apply for a marriage license without knowing the other person's name. Unless the network did it for them?

NYC

amother

Post Mon, Jul 21 2014, 9:30 pm
They got married in NYC

From the City Clerk's office website

"Regardless of whether you started the application process online, or will be filling out a paper form for a Marriage License, you and your prospective spouse must complete the process by appearing at the Office of the City Clerk in person, together and at the same time.
Proxy marriage is not permitted in New York, so no other party may apply on behalf of either spouse.
You will receive the application from the information desk and you must complete the application in our office.
Your Marriage License will be processed while you wait.
You should carefully read your Marriage License to make sure there are no mistakes.
You will take the Marriage License with you when you leave our office.
You must wait a full 24 hours before your Marriage Ceremony can be performed unless you obtain a Judicial Waiver."

Based on this they do not have a legal marriage
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics