Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Cholent without potatos and beans
Previous  1  2

rainbow

Post Sun, May 06 2007, 1:11 am
Pickle....your recipe was a winner! Butternut squash, meat, and carrots, and water to cover....delicious! The whole family enjoyed it!

rainbow

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 9:53 pm
Pickle, can you tell me which meat you use?

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 12:23 am
I used stew meat. I am glad your family enjoyed it. I think its so yum. sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I am a big fan of butternut squash. I think its so yummy in chicken soup also. My husband usally seasons the cholent. For variety we sometimes put corn and mushrooms in the cholent too.

Ima'la

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 12:56 am
Glad you found something good. I have heard of rice in cholent (you could try brown too). I just read about s/o putting nuts in cholent (but if you're allergic to all that and not nuts, I'm impressed!). I think she soaked them in boiling water for a couple minutes so she could remove the outer skin. Then they were soft in the cholent from having cooked so long.

rainbow

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 9:01 pm
Pickle, I am an ignoramus when it comes to meat. What is stew meat? I checked the shelves at the meat shop and didn't see anything called 'stew meat'. I did see all different kinds of meats, kalechl, chuck, peper steak, minute steak, flanken, cheek meat, gosh I can't remember all the names.

Nuts, that's an idea....I think I will put some into a cheesecloth and see what happens....

Mushrooms, uh oh, hate them.... corn, allergic as well....sigh

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 9:13 pm
Rice, tomatoes, chicken & a bunch of yummy spices - check the Spice & Spirit for the exact recipe - "Tebeet" it's called.

qeenB

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 9:53 pm
I always put brown rice in my cholent instead of barley and its delicious!

amother

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 10:16 pm
Dh is on SCD so here is our "chulent" - onions, chicken, carrots, eggplant, mushrooms, also sometimes peppers, yellow squash, etc. Before he was on the diet we made kasha chulent like every other Shabbos (buckwheat). My kids were not into it but my dh loved it.

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 11:19 pm
Rainbow- I think cheek meat and flanken are basically the same cut as stew meat. I cut it into bit size peices for our cholent.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics