Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Why does rice hate me?
1  2  Next

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 6:58 pm
I put cubed chicken, mushrooms, frozen broccoli, frozen peas and white rice into a pan. Covered everything with water. After an hour at 375, covered, everything was cooked but the rice was raw and hard. Why? What did I do wrong?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 7:04 pm
What temperature was the water when you poured it in?

When I cook rice in a dish like that, I start with boiling water from a kettle.

b.chadash

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 7:15 pm
Maybe the ratio of water to rice is wrong. There should generally be 2 cups of water for every cup of rice. If you had other things, like peas, maye you need even more water.
(When I cook rice in the oven, I use room temperature water, and it always cooks fine)

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 7:23 pm
The water was room temp. There was enough water that after an hour, the rice was still completely covered.

Is the problem too much water? Because rice has to steam instead of cook?

agreer

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 7:26 pm
I think 1 hr is too short for rice. I always bake mine for at least 90min plain and 2 hrs with chicken.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 7:44 pm
OK in the interest of science I'll put it back for an hour even though all the chicken has been picked out already.

Thanks everyone!

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 7:54 pm
It will work if you start with boiling water. If you're putting in room temp water, it will take a long time to boil at 350, and the rice will not cook meanwhile.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 8:00 pm
OK thanks! Will try boiling water next time. How long is cooking time if I start with boiling water?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 8:04 pm
I would check after 45 min and see if it needs more time.

Bruria

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 9:57 pm
This is a really good rice video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD-RtP-JiFE

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 7:26 am
for perfect rice:
preheated oven to 350
1 cup Uncle Ben's white long grain white rice (only)
2 cups boiling water from tea kettle
a 7x10 deep foil pan
seasonings, add ins...

Combine everything in the 7x10 pan. Cover tightly with foil. Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 8:24 am
Thanks everyone!!

OK, so the rice cooked after an additional hour in the pan, making it two hours total and the last hour was without chicken.

I hardly ever use rice so this nearly always happens. Not enough experience.

I can't believe it can cook in a half hour with boiling water considering it took two hours, but I'll give it a shot next time.

I read about these one pan chicken rice dinners all the time but it never ever works out for me on the first try. (BTW the recipe I used said one hour would be enough.)

little_mage

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 8:58 am
It won't be one pot, but I've had good luck treating rice like pasta, where I drain it after it's cooked.

Heyaaa

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 9:07 am
You're not using enough liquid. If you used chicken thighs then there would be more oil which doesn't cook out as quickly. Either you should use legs with the bones and skin or you should add more water and/or olive oil

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 9:09 am
Could you please share the recipe?

MMCH

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 1:31 pm
no advice here, but your post made me laugh.

I have a screw loose when it comes to rice. I. just . cant. get. it. right.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 2:28 pm
MMCH wrote:
no advice here, but your post made me laugh.

I have a screw loose when it comes to rice. I. just . cant. get. it. right.

I also can't handle rice, neither way. I don't cook it under the chicken cause that dries the chicken. If I do the pan in oven with soup mix... It always has dry rice sticking to the pan. If I do it in a pot on the stove top the rice never feel cooked enough. I made a whole webpage about it after I asked for advice on my community's e-mail

Bruria

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 9:16 pm
Oh, I forgot to add in my post, there is a really simple way to make rice:
For 1 cup of rice, use 2 of water when dealing with white rice. If it's brown rice, for 1 cup use 3 of water.
Put the rice with water just enough to cover the rice(the water from the 2 cups). Add 2 tablespoons of oil and salt. Wait for it to boil. After it has boiled, add the rest of the water. Then you will lower the heat of the stove top to low, and wait for the rice to dry. Do not attempt to mix the rice with a spoon, because it will turn mushy. After it has dried, you can add whatever you want to it, preferably anything that was sauteed beforehand.
It will come out perfect, try it out!
If you lose your patience, there are always rice cookers Wink

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 1:09 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Could you please share the recipe?

Lol! You want a failed crunchy rice recipe? It was horrible! DH only ate it after I rinsed all the crunchy rice off!

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 1:12 pm
Thanks for the detailed replies! I've had some luck in the past boiling sushi rice in a pot until all the water was gone, the rice was fine. But whenever I try these one pan rice-chicken recipes they don't work. Next time I'll probably just cook the rice separately. Or I'll be daring and try boiling hot water. Crunchy rice is the worst.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics