Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Worried sick - please help ASAP
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 2:32 pm
Have you tried swaddling? Some babies need a whole workout- on your part- to fall asleep.

I am a big fan of "1-2-3 Magic". He has a method of calming called the 5 S's
Swaddle
Swing/ Sway
Side (or stomach) laying
Shh
Suck
Try to recreate the womb, enveloped, constant movement, background noise, etc

Google it

smss

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 2:53 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Have you tried swaddling? Some babies need a whole workout- on your part- to fall asleep.

Swaddle
Swing/ Sway
Side (or stomach) laying
Shh
Suck

Google it

isn't that from harvey karp? happiest baby on the block?

sweetpotato

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 3:30 pm
OP-- have you spoken to an IBCLC (lactation consultant)? If you suspect your baby has a dairy intolerance or reflux issue, I really suggest talking to an IBCLC (in addition to your pediatrician). I would do this before cutting out dairy or making radical changes to your diet or nursing routine.

My baby (now 7 months) seemed to go haywire around 4-6 weeks, and it totally threw me for a loop. First she stopped napping, she would cry for 3 hours every night, she had green, frothy poops, she would scream and writhe in the middle of nursing, she spat up, etc. etc.

I was ready to try everything--cutting out dairy, block nursing, medicine for the baby, cutting out other foods, etc. etc. I spoke with a lactation consultant and it was immensely helpful.

A lot of it, I'm now convinced, was just normal newborn colic stuff, but it seems SO much harder to deal with when you're in the thick of it, sleep deprived, and doing it for the first time. But I did make a slight adjustment to my nursing pattern and it seemed to help.

Here's some info--but don't spend too much time with Dr. Google, because talking with a professional will be much more helpful:

http://kellymom.com/health/bab.....vity/

Keep in mind that pediatricians are not always experts on breastfeeding and babies' responses to breastfeeding. That's another reason why I highly recommend speaking with a lactation consultant as well.

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 12:04 am
sweetpotato wrote:
OP-- have you spoken to an IBCLC (lactation consultant)? If you suspect your baby has a dairy intolerance or reflux issue, I really suggest talking to an IBCLC (in addition to your pediatrician). I would do this before cutting out dairy or making radical changes to your diet or nursing routine.

My baby (now 7 months) seemed to go haywire around 4-6 weeks, and it totally threw me for a loop. First she stopped napping, she would cry for 3 hours every night, she had green, frothy poops, she would scream and writhe in the middle of nursing, she spat up, etc. etc.

I was ready to try everything--cutting out dairy, block nursing, medicine for the baby, cutting out other foods, etc. etc. I spoke with a lactation consultant and it was immensely helpful.

A lot of it, I'm now convinced, was just normal newborn colic stuff, but it seems SO much harder to deal with when you're in the thick of it, sleep deprived, and doing it for the first time. But I did make a slight adjustment to my nursing pattern and it seemed to help.

Here's some info--but don't spend too much time with Dr. Google, because talking with a professional will be much more helpful:

http://kellymom.com/health/bab.....vity/

Keep in mind that pediatricians are not always experts on breastfeeding and babies' responses to breastfeeding. That's another reason why I highly recommend speaking with a lactation consultant as well.

im curious- what helped you in the end?

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 4:52 am
smss wrote:
isn't that from harvey karp? happiest baby on the block?

Thanks, I forgot the title

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 1:03 pm
Op-
Just came back from dr
He said she's a baby. That explains it all. And that I spoil her- if I let her cry in the carriage she will just sleep eventually and not be do restless.
Ugh.
He also said not to stop dairy but to stop formula .

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 1:18 pm
Iymnok wrote:

Swaddle
Swing/ Sway
Side (or stomach) laying
Shh
Suck

Google it

Op - I forgot to reply to this: yes that's what we do with her . It helps on regular days but not with the extreme pain she had the other day.
Also I have to do this ALL the time while she's asleep otherwise she wakes up an cries.

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 8:02 pm
I noticed someone early in the thread asked about recent vaccinations, but I don't recall op if you addressed that? Did your daughter recently gave a vaccination preceding the onset!

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
Op-
Just came back from dr
He said she's a baby. That explains it all. And that I spoil her- if I let her cry in the carriage she will just sleep eventually and not be do restless.
Ugh.

Did he consider that baby may have reflux?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 8:18 pm
Oy! Sounds just like DD. She started in with the colic at 3 days, and was exclusively bf at that time. She screamed non stop and never slept for more than a half an hour at a time for the first 3 MONTHS! I seriously thought I was going to die.

The ped finally narrowed it down to severe lactose intolerance, and a decreasing milk supply, combined with very early teething. We started supplementing with Infamil Lactofree formula, and she basically weaned herself overnight. From then on she slept great and had no more screaming fits.

I really wanted to nurse her for a full year, but she wasn't having any of it once her teeth came in. I pumped and used donated milk mixed half and half with the Infamil, and Baruch Hashem, everything turned out fine in the end.

She didn't outgrow her lactose intolerance until she was 9 years old, so keep that in mind. She was a crabby, defiant, little monster if she got ahold of dairy! She's almost 11 now, and can eat as much dairy as she wants. You'd never know she'd ever had a problem with it.

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
Did he consider that baby may have reflux?

I mentioned reflux because you said baby was in pain.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 8:22 pm
amother wrote:
Op-
Just came back from dr
Ugh.

You need a new pediatrician, FYI. RS!

chatouli

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 9:53 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
You need a new pediatrician, FYI. RS!

Wow. Agreed! Time to switch pediatricians! He told you to let a one month old cry in her carriage??

I would definitely try cutting out dairy and giving a lactose free formula if you have to give a bottle before letting such a young baby cry. Good luck!

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 11:52 pm
Op-
I asked if it can be silent reflux (it really fits the criteria) and he said "it could be but it's not" (in a very condescending way). What does that even mean ...

He's usually a good dr, as in the best you can go in Israel ... But I'm realllly not impressed. I was shocked with the 'letting her cry' bit. He also said not to hold her too much at all , I'm getting her used to bad habits . Let her cry and she will be ok. Stupid Sad

FF- wow , sounds so hard ! Thank gd they miraculously outgrow almost anything .
I'm keeping off dairy. I was told to wait around 3 weeks for results. I'm also not giving her formula at all. If it gets too hard ( ill have to try BF outside of my home but if its not working and I'm stuck at home because of that) ill buy the extra sensitive formula they sell here.

BUT last night the baby was in pain again (though not as much as the other night) and I realized a correlation between those two nights: I had peas soup those days. Do you think it can be causing her the pain??
The rest of the symptoms really sound to me like a mild case of silent reflux- I am trying to do all the things that should help reflux and great it without meds on my own.
I was also told of an amazing dr here and I'm looking (no success so far ) for her contact info.

PS - DD hasn't had any vaccine yet...thank gd.

Thanks everyone for the support !

5*Mom

Post Fri, May 02 2014, 3:01 am
Yes, it could be the pea soup. When I'm nursing I don't eat things like peas. Not every baby is sensitive, but mine are.

Yes, you need a new pediatrician Rolling Eyes .

If you'd like to say where you live and what kupah you are on maybe someone here can give you a recommendation.

Also, the vaccine question is an interesting one. Has she been vaccinated recently?

amother

Post Fri, May 02 2014, 5:24 am
5*Mom wrote:
Yes, it could be the pea soup. When I'm nursing I don't eat things like peas. Not every baby is sensitive, but mine are.

Yes, you need a new pediatrician Rolling Eyes .

If you'd like to say where you live and what kupah you are on maybe someone here can give you a recommendation.

Also, the vaccine question is an interesting one. Has she been vaccinated recently?

She hasn't been vaccinated at all yet (even at hospital we didn't give the hep B).

Im glad to hear about the peas it makes more sense now . Should I avoid green beans as well this shabbos ?

mom in france

Post Fri, May 02 2014, 6:43 am
If you think it could be the milk you could try materna soya ( with the yellow lid). My baby gets earaches every time he has milk formula, and stomach pains.as soon as I started soya formula it went away. However im not too pleased about the soya part its apparantly not good for boys before 3 yrs old, apparantly can affect their fertility...

amother

Post Fri, May 02 2014, 7:06 am
I didnt read all comments, but in israel theres a phone you can call a nurse 24/7, by macabi I know there is, try to find out if you have it too

dancingqueen

Post Fri, May 02 2014, 7:15 am
Try wearing your baby during your walk reflux babies often like that. Also you can pump a bottle if you need to go out.
But yeah ebf does mean mom is stuck at home feeding more often ime.

JewishMommyNYC

Post Fri, May 02 2014, 7:15 am
Do you know the growth spurt cycle of an infant? If she is breastfeeding exclusively then at 1 month she is having a big growth spurt and you NEED to bf her CONSTANTLY.

Most times when baby cries like this it is because they haven't had enough and need you to bf more. I'm talking about up to 8 hours of feeding at a time where there might only be short breaks when the baby falls asleep for a little while or needs a diaper change. You just have to keep feeding and if you do this constant feeding and you latch the baby on anytime he starts to cry- If you do this all day/night and the crying doesn't stop then go to a doctor. It sounds like the baby is hungry to me though.

The growth spurt doesn't last very long so hang in there.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics