Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Doing a building project in Jerusalem

GramaNewYork

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 5:13 am
If you have ever added on to your apartment and know a little bit about what is needed to start such a project, please give me some details.

We do not have a mirpeset even though there is a door which would lead to a mirpeset and some space to build one. This means we have no place for a sukkah.

It is our understanding that there is a law in Jerusalem which states that every apartment is entitled to have a sukkah porch, however, we don't know how to get started to even research such a project.

Do we need to find an architect? How about a contractor or an engineer? Do you know where we could find recommendations for a trustworthy person/company?

Please only answer if you've done a building project (or if you work for the government and really know about these things). Thank you!

mom4many

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 5:24 am
First of all you need an architect to check. He should be able to give you info: fees, building costs, timeframe, etc.
Then the architect needs to submit plans of the addition to the Iriya/municipality & they need to be approved.

This is just in short. Feel free to PM me with more questions. I work in the field (no I'm not an architect).

GramaNewYork

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 10:29 am
Thank you, this is very helpful. I'll talk to my husband and pm you with more questions.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 12:57 pm
why don't you call the building department - I'm sure they have the precise details of how you go about your project

GramaNewYork

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 4:34 pm
The building department? What's that? Is that who you called when you added on to your apartment? Can you give me the number or should I go there in person? If so, what is the address? What did you do when you added on to your apartment?

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 12:25 pm
http://www.jerusalem.muni.il/j.....nt=37

mom4many

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 4:18 pm
Yes, if you can go to the Iriya they will answer you if it's feasible. You can try asking by phone or email too, but everyone I know goes to meet with them (including architects). In smaller towns its possible to get info by phone, depending on the place.

Regardless, if they say you can, the next step will be submitting architectural plans for the addition.

Another reason I recommend an architect is that in general they are the type to answer yes & no questions. They won't necessarily bother to check that you have rights for a bedroom + a porch if you're only asking for a porch. (You can decide what you want to do, but you should know your options). Also an architect can sometimes find ways to lower the fees by planning it in Method A vs. Method B, while the Iriya is not looking to help you on that.

Which makes me wonder - how old is the building? Have you heard of Tama 38? It means that if the building needs to be strengthened for earthquakes, you can get it done free.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions