Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Riva for Rivka... means "Fight"

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 9:54 pm
We were thinking of using the name Rivka (after a relative), but I prefer names a little less common so I thought of the using the nickname Riva or Reva. I know it can be a nickname for Rivka, but I came across in the Tehillim that the word Riva means "fight." I'm not sure I like the meaning, even for a nickname...

Would anyone even think about what the definition is, even Israelis or Hebrew speaking people?

My DH doesn't like the nicknames Rika or Riki and I don't like the regular Rivky. I was actually so excited to have thought of Riva b'h and that my DH agreed to liking it!

WDYT? Not about a nickname in general, unless you can tell me a different unusual nickname from Rivka, but specifically about Riva.

Thank you!

gold21

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 9:56 pm
Maybe it's from the lashon of Harbeh, to increase/ multiply?

yogabird

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 10:16 pm
Surprisingly, the name rivka doesn't have such a positive meaning either. It means ensnarer. And afaik, reva is a diminutive of rivka, so the meanings are technically the same.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 10:19 pm
We have looked into the name Riva/Reva extensively, as we named our dd that. It does not mean to fight. It is not from that word at all.

It is actually a diminutive of Rivka. Nothing more, nothing less. My husband has found it in sources, if you want I can ask him the sources. But not from the lashon of fighting at all. Apparently, many years ago the name came about as a diminutive of Rivka, so it seems that it may be appropriate for your purposes. And its a pretty name too Smile

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 10:23 pm
We call our dd who is named rivka, Rivy. (A soft I - Rivky with out the k)

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 10:56 pm
As has been said, Riva is a form of Rivka. In modern Ivrit, a fight is "Riv", or if you want to be flowery, "Merivah". The word "Rivah", spelled resh-yud-vet-heh and correctly pronounced reeVAH, means a young girl, same as "naarah" or "almah".

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 11:38 pm
My name is Riva, it's a family name.
According to my father the source is "fight" but the fight of good over evil, yetzer tov over yetzer hora etc.

write on

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 3:36 am
Riva actually means a maiden in the language of the Gemara. My name is Riva (named for my grandmother) and I am not a combative person! Unless you're harping on my name, of course... :-)

chanchy123

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 3:49 am
write on wrote:
Riva actually means a maiden in the language of the Gemara. My name is Riva (named for my grandmother) and I am not a combative person! Unless you're harping on my name, of course... :-)

Exactly this. Riva does not mean to fight in Hebrew, at least not in modern Hebrew, that would be MEriva. However, Riva, is a uncommon quaint antiquated name, which is fine, a family member of mine is named Riva. Just telling you so you know.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 5:50 am
Riva is a Yiddish nn for Rivka.
Professor Beider wrote an article on this names where the k is removed: since Blumka, Moshek, Layka.. were diminutives and not appropriate to use with social superiors, somehow names with K also lost their K because of how it sounded Very Happy

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 10:34 am
My daughter's middle name is Reva -- we used it to mean girl in Aramaic, as my grandmother Rivka was still living at the time.

I hold it should have an aleph at the end, but my husband told me it's a hey at the end...but either way it's not a Hebrew name from that shoresh.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 11:36 am
OP here,

Thank you everyone! It definitely makes me feel more comfortable with the nickname. Now I need to see if I can convince my DH if we can use it is the primary name, rather than a nickname of Rivka. He said he'll think about it. I just prefer it over Rivka because it is obviously a less common name- and that is what I like Wink

amother

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 8:35 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
Exactly this. Riva does not mean to fight in Hebrew, at least not in modern Hebrew, that would be MEriva. However, Riva, is a uncommon quaint antiquated name, which is fine, a family member of mine is named Riva. Just telling you so you know.

Riva has actually become much more common again recently...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names