Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Help me use up my freezer inventory!

L25

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:43 am
Hi, I'm trying to eat from the pantry so to speak. I don't know what to make with certain things- wondering if anyone could help.
Recipes with the following are appreciated, not necessarily all together.
cut okra
california mix vegetables- broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
frozen lima beans
frozen cut peppers from a while ago
frozen pomegranate seeds from a loooong time ago
frozen cranberries
freezer burnt whole chicken
frozen cooked random vegetables like raddishes and stringbeans that I made too much of a different time.
Frozen mango ceres- usually don't drink drinks with sugar and didn't realize until after I bought and opened it so put it in the freezer
frozen cubes of cilantro

Also if anyone has a good easy potato or zucchini recipe that doesn't call for lots of mayonnaise, sugar etc... that freezes well and can be made either with a food processor or just a knife that would also be great.

Thanks so much!!!

cinnamon

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 11:17 am
I would take all the vegetables and make a big vegetable soup, saute everything a little then add spices and water and simmer till done.

You can't go wrong with soup. Smile

spinkles

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 11:54 am
Make a red lentil curry that has the lima beans too. Throw your veggies and cilantro cubes in near the end. Not the radishes, though.

For the sweetened mango juice, thaw and then pour into popsicle molds. Mango juice pops!

L25

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 12:08 pm
hi. thank you all so much for your suggestions.
Question: so I see all these recipes for red lentils but I never see them in the store ( America)- is there something I can substitute it with- I have brown lentils, orange/lentil (can't remember) or green split peas and a variety of beans.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 12:29 pm
You can find red lentils in the health food section of a grocery store...if it has one.

L25

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 12:45 pm
interesting about the health food section. Is there a way to substitute for the red lentils though?
Also in terms of the soup suggestion should I blend it or just leave it chunky? So I would put in the california mix, red peppers, okra etc all together? and then add garlic and onions and I'll be good to go?

Thank you!

Volunteer

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 1:14 pm
Many of the veggies can be combined with soy sauce to make a stir-fry. You can also add chicken or tofu.

Cranberries are great when mixed into all sorts of baked goods, including pies, crisps and cobblers, cakes, and muffins. They pair particularly well with apples and pears. You can also make compote with them. Cranberry sauce is a perfect accompaniment to chicken as well as turkey.

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 1:35 pm
Try here:
http://www.supercook.com/

You input ingredients you have at home and it spits out recipes.

Tech_mom

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 2:19 pm
chicken pot pie

spinkles

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 2:40 pm
You could use regular brown lentils to make curry instead of the red lentils. Just cook the lentils in broth or water (ratio approx. 1 c. lentils to 3 cups broth/water) with curry spices and garlic. Add the veggies and cilantro near the end. You can add a little coconut milk if you want.

Red lentils are often in the Goya bean section, or you can always get them at Whole Foods type stores. You said you have orange lentils, though, so maybe you already have red lentils. Red lentils are orange, not red. Not sure why!

L25

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 3:23 pm
thanks everyone for your replies. I'm heading off for a little bit but I already have some ideas brewing thanks to all of you. Dr.Mom I started inputting in to the website you gave me and I can see that I'm going to have a lot of fun with it both now and in the future-it's sooo cool thank you so much!

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 3:28 pm
mango & pomegranate seeds can go into a yogurt for a smoothie

or you can actually make a cranberry relish with the mango & pomegranate ... just add some garlic - brown sugar - ginger & cook

that can go over the whole chicken ~ after you roast it with some olive oil, pepper & garlic

take the california mix & add the peppers for a side dish ... sprinkle a little soy sauce & garlic & olive oil & broil for 8 minutes [ish]
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics