Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Friday night chicken

mirimiri

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 3:10 pm
Hi,
I know there are a lot of posts about chicken, but I can't seem to find any that are what I'm looking for. We're basically having my in-laws over for shabbat and I'm desperate for a great, nice looking, easy chicken recipe-kind of something that's easy but no one would know that (SHHHHH). Please nothing sweet, like no duck sauce or jams. Also we are in Israel, so recipes that don't require ingredients that are impossible to find here would be a great help!
Thank you all in advance!!!

smss

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 3:13 pm
I just made this last week and it was delicious! I used chicken breast cut into shnitzel pieces but you could use chicken on the bone too, I'm sure- just cook longer.

saute onions. mix chicken with oil, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika charifa. fry in frying pan. mix together with onions in a pan and leave on blech- onions get caramelized and yummy, and the chicken is really moist.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 3:18 pm
Would you use a whole cranberry sauce? I find that it's not as sweet as apricot jam or duck sauce.

Sometimes I prepare the chicken Thursday night and let it marinate overnight on a bed of sliced onions, seasoned with salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little paprika. Adding a bit of red wine also gives it a richer flavor.

Good luck, and have an enjoyable time with the in-laws!

SJcookie

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 4:38 pm
I get raving reviews each time I make either one of these recipes:

Onion Chicken
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....icken

Spiced Chicken w/ Potatoes
Ingredients:
1 Chicken, cut up into 8ths
1 onion, sliced
2-3 Potatoes
Spices: Paprika, cumin, minced garlic, salt, oil, cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Put onion in pan w/ chicken in between each piece. Rub 1 t of oil on each piece of chicken. Sprinkle all spices on chicken and rub. If skin is on - make sure oil/spices are under skin also. Place in oven covered for 1 hour.
3. Boil potatoes in the mean time. Cut into pieces.
4. Take out chicken. Add potatoes & put the juice on top. If not enough juice – add more oil/some water and spices.
5. Cook covered for another 45 min - 1 hour.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 6:15 pm
For me, Friday night dinner with family calls for roasted whole chicken.
Rinse or pat dry, salt n'pepper, stuff the inside with an onion cut in halves, a few celery sticks.
I personally would like to use some spice rubs on the skin (hawadji or oriental spice mix with turmeric, pepper, paprika, garlic, cinnamon, cardamom).

Line a roasting pan with foil (for easy cleaning). Add 1/2 cup dry white wine. Or squeeze juice from 1 small-ish orange. Place the chicken breast down, cover loosely and bake at 180C for the first 15min, then drop to 160C for about 1hr (this depends on the size, check with meat thermometer inserted at the thigh joint). Baste occasionally, and check the doneness at thigh. Blast at 190C-200C with foil off for the last 10min or so for browned and crisp skin.

Keep loosely covered at least for 30min before attempting to carve.

Simple but attractive looking. You can slice and serve whatever is left over for Shabbat lunch.

emunahmother

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 7:51 pm
So I like to caramelize some onions (when I'm low on time I skip that step but it comes out a bit different. ) then I just replace my chicken pieces on top and spice with turmeric, paprika drop of salt and pepper. I rub it together on the skin and smush some onions with the oil on top. I bake it covered in the oven for about an hr and a half and then uncovered until golden.

Comes out really really soft and a big hit.
Oh bake at 350. My oven I think is a bit off so I usually do 365 😃

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 5:19 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
For me, Friday night dinner with family calls for roasted whole chicken.
Rinse or pat dry, salt n'pepper, stuff the inside with an onion cut in halves, a few celery sticks.
I personally would like to use some spice rubs on the skin (hawadji or oriental spice mix with turmeric, pepper, paprika, garlic, cinnamon, cardamom).

Line a roasting pan with foil (for easy cleaning). Add 1/2 cup dry white wine. Or squeeze juice from 1 small-ish orange. Place the chicken breast down, cover loosely and bake at 180C for the first 15min, then drop to 160C for about 1hr (this depends on the size, check with meat thermometer inserted at the thigh joint). Baste occasionally, and check the doneness at thigh. Blast at 190C-200C with foil off for the last 10min or so for browned and crisp skin.

Keep loosely covered at least for 30min before attempting to carve.

Simple but attractive looking. You can slice and serve whatever is left over for Shabbat lunch.

Yum, reading that makes my mouth water with memories of my mother's chicken, simple but the best tasting and juiciest chicken ever.

Kitten

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 11:21 am
Try something according to your own intuition. It always turns out well.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 12:34 pm
Fry an onion in a pot.
Put the chicken skin down and fry for 5minutes.
Fill half way with grape juice and then a drop of water.
Salt pepper paprika. Cover with a lid and leave on low for 1-1.5 hours.
Keep warm on blech.

mirimiri

Post Sat, Jan 04 2014, 6:32 pm
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, I had a MAJOR change of plans this week, so didn't get to cook , but I am deff trying these recipes, and I will post how they came out. Thank you all they sound so tasty!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey