Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Newsies
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 11:09 pm
Has anyone seen Newsies on broadway? I'd like to see it with my husband but need to know if there are any female singers. Thanks.

banana93

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 11:12 pm
I've seen it! It's great, but there are female singers. Two that I can remember, possibly more. Do u know of any shows that don't have female singers? I'd love to go with my husband too! Wink

bigsis144

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 12:10 am
Yes, definitely female singers and female soloists.

I'm not sure if Stomp (technically off-Broadway) has singing or not. The percussion definitely has choreographic/dance elements, but if you're okay with fully clothed movement without kol isha, that may be an option.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 3:30 am
Stomp does not look like something either of us would be interested in. Has anyone seen it and liked it???

Also- are the female singers throughout the show or would it be possible for my husband to leave for the restroom during those 2 songs...?

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 7:46 am
I thought STOMP was entertaining (I saw it years ago), but I have no way of knowing if you'll like it.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 7:50 am
what about the lion king?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 8:01 am
amother wrote:
what about the lion king?

Okay, if you're husband is too frum for female vocalists, then don't bother with broadway shows at all. You will not be successful, there are female singers everywhere. And as far as the lion king, are you kidding?? There are several appearances and songs from women.

Maybe stick to bowling.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 9:57 am
My husband wants to do something together and he knows that I love shows so he suggested Newsies thinking there's no female singers. I'm just trying to be cautious because I wouldn't want my husband to do something asur - as in listen to a woman sing at a live show. He thinks that are seats will not be so good so seeing non tznius ladies wouldn't be an issue.

So back to newsies- from someone who saw it- are there female singers throughout? My husband is fine about walking out for one or 2 scenes. He wants to do something fun together next week and I'm pregnant so limited with activities (plus I love shows!)

Please only answer if you've seen it and know.

banana93

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 10:07 am
Hey there. I've seen it and I do believe that there's a chance that your husband would be able to walk out. I don't know if you've ever seen newsies the movie but the plot is pretty much the same. There's a lady- meda- who sings a solo song but I'm not sure if she sings once or twice. There's also the main guys love interest and I'm not sure if she sings or not. I'm sorry if I'm not being much help (I went a while ago and I have a horrible memory). If your husband would be willing to walk out three or four times, then this is a great show to do it with cuz the majority of the singing and dancing is done by men. Wishing you luck. Please let us know if u went and how it was. Maybe I'll do the same with my husband! Wink

sequoia

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 10:10 am
Just for the record, I HATED Stomp.

OP, how about Blue Man Group?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 10:13 am
Banana, thank you so much.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 10:13 am
amother wrote:
My husband wants to do something together and he knows that I love shows so he suggested Newsies thinking there's no female singers. I'm just trying to be cautious because I wouldn't want my husband to do something asur - as in listen to a woman sing at a live show. He thinks that are seats will not be so good so seeing non tznius ladies wouldn't be an issue.

So back to newsies- from someone who saw it- are there female singers throughout? My husband is fine about walking out for one or 2 scenes. He wants to do something fun together next week and I'm pregnant so limited with activities (plus I love shows!)

Please only answer if you've seen it and know.

Yes I've seen Newsies and yes there are female vocalists and soloists (a nun and a mother). If you think your husband will just get up and walk out during those scenes, then forget about going. That's highly disruptive to the other spectators and he'll anyway end up seeing and listening to females since you can't predict the exact time they'll come on the show and start singing. If you unfortunately hold listening to kol isha is assur, a broadway show is not the way to go. It's really unavoidable.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 10:18 am
I liked stomp. There are women who pound on stuff but they are dressed and no singing, though that doesn't mean you'll like it. I second blue man group. Totally kosher and I'm also looking for shows that don't have kol isha so keep posting! Hopefully we will find something.

morah

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 10:20 am
Newsies has some fmale leads. I got really excited that maybe we could do Jersey Boys, but there are women dancing. I love Broadway, but there is no way I can ever experience it with my husband. It's an activity I do with my mom or my friends. The extent of my husband's Broadway experience is listening to me belt showtunes at home Smile

However, we do go to classical concerts together. Is that something you guys would enjoy?

ETA: you can watch the movie, and then he can leave the room or fast forward at his discretion. Really, you can do that with any show that has a movie version.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 10:28 am
Broadway show has significantly more female presence than the movie. I saw it.

Here's link to Broadway cast album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....CB3FE

Track by track:
1. Overture
2. Santa Fe (Prologue)
3. Carrying the Banner -- nuns singing
4. The Bottom Line -- has short female solo, Pulitzer's secretary
5. That's Rich -- no more Swedish Meadowlark, this is more vaudeville-y

6. I Never Planned on You/Don't Come a-Knocking -- more vaudeville females
7. The World Will Know
8. Watch What Happens -- solo by lead female character, Jack's love interest Katherine
9. Seize the Day
10. Santa Fe
11. King of New York -- solo by Katherine (she replaces Arthur Denton from the movie)

12. Watch What Happens (Reprise) -- Katherine again
13. The Bottom Line (Reprise)
14. Brooklyn's Here
15. Something to Believe In -- more Katherine

16. Once and For All -- short solos by Katherine, mostly a group song
17. Finale

btw, there are a number of women sing/dancing as minor character Newsies dressed as boys. Listen to "so's the Bronx!" on Brooklyn's here and tell me that's not a girl acting butch Wink

banana93

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 10:40 am
Thanks big sis. I totally forgot about all these female parts. Didn't remember that about Denton but now that you mention it, it rings a bell. Oh well. I guess I can forget about newsies with my dh.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 10:47 am
Have you considered going to a play instead of a musical?

sequoia

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 11:00 am
Oh my gosh, OP, go see Twelfth Night!!! All the actors are men, and it's Shakespeare, and it's funny and it's awesome!

rachelbg

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 11:09 am
How about going to the philharmonic instead? Instrumental shouldn't give you a problem. It could be a fancy, formal night out on the town!

rise above

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 1:02 pm
sequoia wrote:
Oh my gosh, OP, go see Twelfth Night!!! All the actors are men, and it's Shakespeare, and it's funny and it's awesome!

That sounds like something that may work for me..
It's actually one Shakespeare play I never read, but I can read the plot online and see if interests me, but can you describe theatrically the difference in the performance between a Shakespeare play on Broadway and a musical? I have been to musicals and what I love is the set, the costumes, the grandiosity of the performance. Are the Shakespeare play as much a 3d experience?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions