Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Son terrible acne-can't do accutane maybe edith in brooklyn?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 3:06 pm
My 15 year old son has terrible acne. Due to some mental health issues we were rejected for accutane. I'm from the midwest and grasping for alternative treatments. Is it worth bringing him to edith in n.y.? I was told she does facials, gives treatments and does vitamins.
a few problems....
my son cannot handle pain. will he be able to deal with the facial?
also, my husband is against using any vitamins that are not kosher. I'm having a very hard time verifying if her products are all really kosher

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 4:07 pm
I had pimples- not terrible, but since I used to have porcelain skin, I wanted it back, so I went to Edith. I am not going to lie- it HURT! She pops all those pimples, and then treats you. After just a few treatments (three, I think) my face was a lot better! I stopped going (although I should go back), but I saw great results. She didn't give me vitamins, only creams and masks.
If your son can't deal with pain, it might not be great... It really hurts when she does it (although the hurt goes away as soon as she stops).

queen76

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 4:41 pm
Can you please fill me in on who Edith is? Never heard her. Does she only do facials. Does she work with all problem skin or mostly with acne?
Tnx

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 4:47 pm
Russian (I think!) woman in Brooklyn who does facials among other things (I think- I was only there for facials). I'm pretty sure she works of the books, as she had me pay in cash.
no insurance, her creams etc. are most probably not approved by any governmental organization, but her method works!

The first time I went, I went into a cubicle (it's nice, with plants in each room and soft music playing) and I couldn't help thinking, maybe this is a scam and they just want my money!

But I did see results. She did facials, and then some masks. She sold me some creams and masks to do daily.

Barbara

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 4:52 pm
amother wrote:
My 15 year old son has terrible acne. Due to some mental health issues we were rejected for accutane. I'm from the midwest and grasping for alternative treatments. Is it worth bringing him to edith in n.y.? I was told she does facials, gives treatments and does vitamins.
a few problems....
my son cannot handle pain. will he be able to deal with the facial?
also, my husband is against using any vitamins that are not kosher. I'm having a very hard time verifying if her products are all really kosher

I've no clue who Edith is, but dermatologists can and do treat acne without accutane. Have you tried that route before dragging him to New York from the midwest?

Mom of a Teen with Acne

amother

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 4:52 pm
Dd went to Edith she did not help. Try asking for an antibiotic like doxycycline; it helped dd.

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 4:54 pm
When I was a teenager, I tried all the medications possible and nothing worked by accutane.

As an adult, proactive solution worked pretty well and that's no pills at all. You might want to try that.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 4:55 pm
A prescription cream called Clindomycin really helped me. I used a good moisturizer to counteract the dryness from the cream.

queen76

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 4:59 pm
Where is Edith located? Telephone number?

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 5:09 pm
718 646 6831

Somewhere in brooklyn, maybe near avenue x, I forget exactly where.

queen76

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 5:35 pm
Have you ever tried something natural?
If his acne is so terrible, results might not be quick enough, but my 15 year old occasionally gets acne, and with diluted apple cider vinegar, the acne pimple drys up like magic within 24 hrs.
I buy the braggs organic apple cider vinegar from the health food store. Dilute it with some water 50/50,
And with a q-tip dab the pimple a few hours throughout the day. I swear by ACV. I had a fungal infection on my face that also cleared by using ACV, but once again, if the acne is really very bad it might take a while to see results. Once you do get the acne mostly under control let your son maintain his face by washing with ACV. It smells really bad at first, but the smell goes away very quickly.
Also remember to dilute, because otherwise it will burn.
Good luck

hanna2010

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 6:43 pm
My son has been treated with the clindomycin and retin a of various strengths. He's also been on a few different oral antibiotics. As nothing is helping the derm. recommended the accutane. We cannot do it at this time. I am considering a phone consultation with Mr. gruber from nutri supreme vitamins. His acne is severe. Any ideas for health alternative treatments is greatly appreciated.
I will consider the apple cider vinegar idea. I have also seen ads for some probiotics called Prodermix. Anyone out there with info?
Thank you all so much for Your responses

cbg

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 8:02 pm
I am no expert, but does he drink enough water. The skin is the largest organ and toxins are excreted through the skin. He should drink more water and try the apple cider vinegar. Also, I heard coconut oil is good and anti bacterial as well. Also, try calling Mrs. Zahler from Zahler Vitamins. Call 212.444.9936 and ask to speak to her or her daughter, both are very knowledgeable. Make sure to have paper and pen ready because she will give you lots of information. Hope this was helpful.

starmarket

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 8:03 pm
Proactiv! It works!

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 8:11 pm
No, I dont think it makes any sense to fly to go try some natural treatment unless u have a lot of extra money to throw out. What does the dermatolohist recommend?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 8:12 pm
I had acne from 9 yrs old, my mom took me to dr's , dermatologist, different people who do facials.
Different creams etc. Nadda
Then I went to edith, she saved my skin. I went a few times in begining, then I went less often but kept up for many many yrs now. I use her soap and creams. In general my face ia much. better now, and I dnt jiat think its bc the hormones settle, (when I am pregnant its not too bad my face)
I thibk its bc I treated my skin sensitively with her products, but invasively for ao many years.
Yes, it hurts. I went the first time at 10 I think I was crying in pain. But its worth it.let him squeeze u hand.
Or xall edith and ask if there anything to do prior to ease the pain.
The longer u steam for, the easier it is. Maybe let him steem for much longer then regular time. Maybe an hour

ntm1

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 9:15 pm
1 trip definitely wont help... in the beginning when you start by her you need to go a few times...once every few months until she really cleanses your face... I used to go once in a while for pimples nothing terrible but enough that I went through the pain of those facials... they HURT!! I wish I had the tolerance for the pain to go back... she squeezes every blackhead....whitehead...and pimple under a magnifying glass. and then you can buy different soaps, masks creams, toners or moisturizer that she may recommend...natural products she makes herself...you don't have to buy anything. I know quite a few people who went to her that really saw improvement... people come from all over to see her.

She doesn't only do facials...I believe she also does acne on the back.

losingweight

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 12:57 am
Try getting him off white flour and sugar. The acne may be a reaction to an intolerance.

chatouli

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 1:13 am
Has he tried using products containing pyrithione zinc? It's the active ingredient in several OTC dandruff shampoos. I use it after exercising. It's the only thing that works to prevent exercise acne for me. I wash my face after exercising and apply the shampoo all over my face and leave it in for five minutes. It has helped my skin better than any prescription cream.

Good luck

hanna2010

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 8:43 am
thanx again for your replies. Part of the problem with acne is so many differing opinions. Hard to choose one plan. So many questions.
For now I'm going to hold off with edith. After more discussion with my son I see he's really not ready to deal with the pain(yet).
I'm going to put him on the prodermix or vitamins from nutri supreme (haven't decided which yet) He is already working on cutting out white flour and sugar.
I am going to try the acv on my own mild acne and see how that works. If I see improvements then I will pass it on to my son.
I don't think he'll b able to handle a "try this" "try that" method
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children