Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Are you doing home haircuts ??
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 11:01 pm
I have a do it your self mentality, for example I painted my kitchen one erev pesach, etc.. I started cutting my hair after my wedding then I started giving dh a haircut, I now cut dd's ds's and dh's hair in addition to my own, I just finished cleaning a mess of hair and I was thinking if I am the only crazy woman who does that

amother

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 11:06 pm
I cut my hair, DH cuts DSs hair, DD gets it cut in a salon twice a year. . .

Jughead

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 11:37 pm
I cut my own and all of my ds'
dh cuts his own
dd go to a "professional"

Kugglegirl

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 12:50 am
I cut my own, or my dd's have cut it for me in a "style" -- one of the girls is quite good.

I cut the boys hair.

The girls have been cutting their own & each others. Sometimes they like to go out for a professional cut.

DH gets a professional cut.

Many things make me wonder if I'm crazy or just weird, but this was not one of them, up till now.

Jughead

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 1:46 am
I don't know why anyone would think it's crazy or weird. I know many people who cut their kids' hair - especially the boys. so easy to do and convenient - no scheduling, no shlepping them anywhere...

tsiggelle

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 6:36 am
Jughead wrote:
I don't know why anyone would think it's crazy or weird. I know many people who cut their kids' hair - especially the boys. so easy to do and convenient - no scheduling, no shlepping them anywhere...

And with time you learn tips to minimize the hair forest on the clothes and floor.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 6:37 am
my mother cut my hair as a child (not very well!) so I swore I would never do that to my daughters. I take my dds to a salon and my husband does my sons (with a machine). He does a good job and cleans up the hair too.

little_mage

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 6:40 am
We've begun cutting our own. It's left my son with an interesting cut (long over one eye and short over the other), but I think that has more to do with the fact that he's two and therefore doesn't sit still. We did invest in a pair of hair cutting scissors, and it made things much better. As long as no one feels like it looks weird or awkward, go for it!

yOungM0mmy

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 8:57 am
Mine is under a sheitel, and I just cut it by myself into a straight line about shoulder length. I do DH and DSs' with a machine - several boys who need haircuts, forget the hassle of fitting in appointments around school schedules, gets expensive! With just two haircuts (2 boys, not two rounds!) I had already saved money. I only have one little girl, and I once cut her bangs straight across, with chicken scissors so that I can get a straight line in one go instead of trying to get her to sit still. So far the rest is still short, and haven't decided if I will keep it short and take her to a professional, or let it grow into a ponytail...
I dread doing it, rotating several boys between the "haircutting station" and straight into the bath while trying to avoid spreading hair across the whole house, but can't justify spending that kind of money when I am perfectly capable of doing it myself.

Liba

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 9:01 am
I am the barber of the house. On occasion, like erev Pesach, I will have DH go with my son to get their hair done elsewhere so I don't have to deal with the mess. Otherwise we cut, we vacuum, it is B"H no big deal.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 9:03 am
No, we go to the barber.

My sister cuts her daughters hair, but IMO it doesn't look nearly as good.

zigi

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 9:29 am
I got inspired by reading this thread. I just even out my dd's hair, I didn't do a bad job. I would like to take a class to learn how to properly cut hair. I do trim her bangs. I am going to take her to a professional to get a real haircut

mommyhood

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 9:38 am
Dh cuts his own hair and I do the back. Our son is not yet 3 but dh is planning on cutting his hair for the upsherin and after. He cuts his hair in the bathroom and vaccums after it's not a big deal.
DD and I get our hair cut at a local sheitel macher. It's inexpensive becasue I don't get it blown and I'd rather not take the risk of it looking ridiculous.

Raisin

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 9:41 am
I think if you come from a community where it is the norm for boys to have very short hair its not a big deal to do with a machine.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 9:44 am
No big deal for guys.
I remember when my husband had to shlep to find a male hairdresser, and always worry about telling them not to touch the payes. Now he does it and there's no diff...

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 9:53 am
there is nothing wrong with cutting your family's hair - if you know how ... in my family we all [or at least quite the majority] have a knack for cutting hair [including several professionals] ... so for us it's the norm ... and it comes out nice ... and we cut our own hair as well or each others

if you are the type of person that keeps trimming your daughters' hair till it's crooked and too short - do everyone a favour & stop ... girls do not need this embarrassment atop their other teenage issues

can boys haircuts go awry - yes - again unless you know how to save the peyos & trim the edges evenly - stop ... even machine haircuts can be horrendous

if you are haircut savvy - carry on ~ otherwise STOP

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 10:05 am
We only do home haircuts. My husband or I do the boys' hair. I do the girls' hair (actually did it this Sunday) -- doesn't always come out perfect but they're young enough (oldest girl is 5). I do my own hair. And my mother in law does my husband's hair.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 10:10 am
Its great that you can save money on haircuts! You have to know how to cut hair though! I trim my kids hair but for a regular style, I prefer a proffessional.

acccdac

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 10:16 am
I took them to supercuts once and my 2 sons and dh with tip cost close to $60 and they all looked horrible and I couldnt believe I PAID for someone to make my kids look bad so I figured I may as well make them look bad for free.

At this point I'm much better at it, we do it in the backyard so clean up is pretty easy (almost nothing, it goes on grass). Once in a while its indoors so we sit on a plastic table cloth and roll it up, so clean up is easy.

I started off with a cheap $20 one, and once we saw it was working, we invested in a real machine.

I cant cut my own hair cause I have too much hair so I need layers cut into it and thinned in order for it to be manageable so I get it done. I also take my daughter to a "professional" cause her hair is pretty straight and you would know if it was messed up. Maybe when she's older and I know she'll sit nicely I could try. I also want to make sure it gets cut as short as possible but can still fit in a pony for school. When you're paying money I dont mind saying, it's still too long and you cut some more off?

alte mamme

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 10:16 am
We have this great trimmer that collects all the hair so it doesn't fall on the floor. Unfortunately, they don't seem to make it anymore. Sad
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics