Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Pouring diarrhea

willow

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 10:17 am
My son has diarrhea for the past three days. What makes it difficult is he only eats dairy and fruit with very little starch. He is almost three but this is the first time it is non stop like this. He is crying every time he makes saying it hurts as he makes. What to do?

Fabulous

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 10:20 am
bananas. Can you get a little rice in him? Non-dairy stuff like soy instead of dairy. Pedialyte to prevent dehydration. Immodium (OTC medication works wonders).

chani8

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 10:35 am
Three days means it's time to get to the doctor, imo. Meanwhile do you have pepto bismal? You can give a small dose, as we've been prescribed such by a doctor, so it's apparently safe for kids. However, you also have to make sure he's not getting dehydrated. Don't worry about what he's eating. At this point, it isn't going to matter, just let him eat. But get to the doctor asap to treat this.

willow

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 11:07 am
I have tums is that the same thing? About the doctor you are right but it is almost Shabbos here. I can go to the mokad tonight once it opens. Should I or wait till Sunday?

willow

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 11:08 am
He ate one banana and the good thing is he drinks tons of water.

mammala120

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 11:17 am
PLEASE GIVE HIM ACEDOPHILLUS PROBIOTIC...IT WILL KILL INFECTION AND BALANCE HIS COLON WHICH IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM. YOU CAN ALSO GIVE CHAMOMIL TEA TO CALM DOWN IRRITATED GUT LINING

HE MUST BE COMPLETELY DAIRY FREE FOR A WEEK AFTER THE DIARRHEA STOPS. NO SUGAR NO FRUITS. ONLY BANANA AND APPLE ALLOWED. RICE AND POTATOES AND DRY TOAST. ALSO SOUP BROTH WITH CROUTONS WILL BE FILLING AND NOT HARMFUL.

Last edited by mammala120 on Fri, Jul 26 2013, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

carpediem

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 11:17 am
He should only take tums if it's the kids tums (and follow the dosage it says).

Diarrhea in a child for more than two days means its more than an upset stomach and needs a dr. If you cant make it before shabbs make sure he has plenty of fluids (water/ watered down juice- not soda), eats a bit of salty foods like pretzels or soup, and foods with potassium like bananas, potatoes (without skin), and fruit juices. You can also give pedialyte or pedialyte pops.

It can cause dehydration so it's crucial that he gets plenty of fluids but if he shows signs of dehydration (Dizziness/ dark urine/ cool dry skin....) take him to terem on shabbs.

Refuah shelaima!

auntie_em

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 11:44 am
Tums will not help with diarrhea. It is for heartburn (stomach acid.) Your child needs an anti-diarrheal. After 3 days, he needs to see a doctor. At least, call one.

gold21

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 3:13 pm
I have found Florastor to be very helpful for kids diarrhea.

Florastor is a probiotic sold in pharmacies. The kiddie version comes with a bunch of packets with powder inside, and you can mix the powder into juice or yogurt.

I'm not some organic health nut, but I promise you, this stuff really works. My doc recommended it to me a few years ago and I swear by it since.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 11:30 pm
He may need to be tested for IBS or Celiac. He could have allergies you don't know about.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 27 2013, 5:00 pm
my 3 yr old ds just had this for a week. I read on line and there is no reason to go to a Doctor unless it happens all the time. do not let him eat dairy!! trust me I know how hard it is to make them not eat it but he cannot eat it. give him a lot of bananas and rice and bread. and finally when he fills better after 2 or 3 days keep him dairy free for at least one more day. I messed up and give him dairy and then started over again for a few days but b'H he's all better.

Miri1

Post Sat, Jul 27 2013, 10:27 pm
I thought that the BRAT diet wasn't recommended so much anymore.
My doc told me that a bit of fat in the diet will actually help to bulk things up - like a light chicken soup, or plain chicken - if he's has the appetite.

Dovi'smom

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 7:54 am
Another vote here for probiotics to alleviate symptoms and as prophylaxis. My pediatrician recommended a combination of Culturelle and Florastor for ten days.

willow

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 11:26 am
We did not do anything on Shabbos and it just ran and he kept eating yogurt. The dairy is always a struggle with him It is all he eat. But he did eat enough bread to bulk it up a bit. Today was pretty regular. So thank G-d

Miri1

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 8:36 pm
willow wrote:
We did not do anything on Shabbos and it just ran and he kept eating yogurt. The dairy is always a struggle with him It is all he eat. But he did eat enough bread to bulk it up a bit. Today was pretty regular. So thank G-d

If the yoghurt was for the probiotics, there isn't nearly enough in there to do the job. He would need to take it as a supplement.

willow

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 10:53 am
Miri yogurt is ALL he eats. It his breakfast lunch snack and dinner. Everything else is a snack for him. A bite here and there of bread, cracker or fruit. We struggle with this problem on daily basis. He eats no cooked food no protein besides yogurt (funnily not even milk)

carpediem

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 12:41 pm
How is he feeling?

willow

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 12:44 pm
Bh I don't know how but it got thicker and thicker. Today was almost normal. Thank you for asking
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers