Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby in Your Bed
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 11:01 am
bed rail wil not help if the baby is a real rolly-polly!!!
But each mother knows her child the best!

shoy18

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 11:09 am
IndyMom wrote:
I'm not sure if you are basing your claims on actual statistics or if you just think its more likely for a baby to be smothered in bed. .

this is based on statistics.

how do they stay in one place? my baby moves all over the place I find him in different places when I check on him and in the morning

How does being surrounded by soft pillows and blankets help?

also just as an infant can get wedged between a headboard and the bed, so to they can get wedged between a bed and gaurdrail

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 11:59 am
pillows will block the baby from mooving

a young baby, that is.

I also use tight pillows w/ no frilly pillow cases

Once they begin moving, I don't leave them in my bed unsuperwised.

At night, my babies only move closer to the food source Wink

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 1:50 pm
Quote:
[with co-sleeping] mother get more rest,

hmm... with me when baby sleeps in my bed he is up every 1.5-2 hrs and so am I, when he sleeps in his crib, I don't get awakened by his every whimper and he goes hours without food.

IndyMom

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 7:00 pm
shoy- where are the statistics? Remember, your statistics need to compare crib sleeping to "safe" cosleeping. None of those statistics that include drunk or medicated mothers, fathers who fell asleep with baby on couch, etc... those just skew the results.

1stimer - if I would be used to sleeping without my baby, one night with him would probably be very distracting. It's the entire package that you get used to, and yes, you actually do get more sleep.

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 7:57 pm
I don't get used to it,
and they GROW, B'H, and take up more & more room in my bed.

IndyMom

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 8:30 pm
We are all probably sleeping on different sized beds, and that can make a big difference. I had a boro park sized bed (bigger then a twin, smaller thena full) and that was enough room for me and my growing baby. I am not a small in person, but I did move him out when he was 10 months. Now I have a full size bed. I wonder if this next child will be able to stay in longer.

Last night we were 4 in the bed (and the little one said...). It was comfortable for all of us. (twin and full side by side - and I'm pregnant, so it's not like I gave you all TMI - its obvious the beds can be together - of course if you really feel like editing this last paragraph I'll be mochel on it Smile.)

timeout

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 9:26 pm
My friend told me a horror story of her cousin in England that smothered her baby in bed.

For two weeks after that I did not bring my baby in with me and I now I started again I don't really sleep I know it's dangerous but in the middle of the night when I'm nursing I'm just so tired I kind of drift off.

Tova

hisorerus

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 9:41 pm
Ask for more info about her cousin in England. Was the baby smothered by blankets and the mother didn't notice? Did the mother roll over her baby? Did the baby have SIDS (I.e. apnea) and wasn't really smothered, but she thinks it could have been avoided?

I think that most Mommies (and most people) have a sense of consciousness in their sleep that would prevent them from squashing their babies Ch"V. Most people don't fall off their beds (even small beds), kick off the covers when they're hot, etc. If you DON'T have that consciousness, you've probably found out about it over the years.

indianamom4

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 10:08 pm
I love to sleep with babies in bed for the first few months. After that I get too crowded and uncomfortable. My babies do not sleep thru the nite for a while and I think that it is because they are used to nursing whenever they want. as much as I love it in the beginning, it I dont stop when I feel crowded, I feel resentment, which is not good. I hate waking up and having a backache because a 10 month old baby was nursing half the nite! he is big enough that he can sleep more than a few hours without nursing.
I dont believe that it is dangerous at all. although I have noticed that when my 11 month old is crawling on my 2 yr olds bed(that has a bed rail) that if I am not watching him he will get stuck between the bed rail and the bed. so be careful of that if you have a bed rail on your bed.
it is a decision that no one should be judged for.
dont take it personally Indymom Exclamation

IndyMom

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 10:09 pm
I really can't speak for all you worried mothers, but I know that my baby is MUCH safer right next to me. Parenting means watching our children all the time, not just daytime and hope for the best at night while they are in their "safe" cribs. It is well known that western culture started this so called "normal" sleeping arrangement of babies in cribs only in the past 200 years. Mother's have been sleeping with their children for thousands of years before that, and still do in most parts of the world. Japan, where they have the lowest rate of SIDS, are primarily a cosleeping society. Babies in cribs, babies born in hospitals, babies with formula - it is so westernized and new and not proven and actually shown statistically to be worse for the babies. thank goodness breastfeeding has made it's comeback. I only hope that everyone can realize that all these other so called advancements in childcare, are actually a setback and not heatlhy for our children. ok, ill get off my soap box for now.

deedee

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 10:16 pm
Quote:
but I know that my baby is MUCH safer right next to me.

mine too!!!!! putting her in a crib wasnt even an option. after nine mts in my body I cant banish her to a crib Sad
I cant sleep if she is not in my bed. when I tried a few times to put her in the crib I couldnt sleep cause I was so worried about her!

miriam

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 10:18 pm
Deedee, that is so sweet. I remember feeling the same way. I always held her a lot on the beginning to try to give her a womb like experience out of the womb.

deedee

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 10:24 pm
thanks miriam Very Happy
also we are so busy in the day that when its time to go to bed I snuggle up with her and really appreciate her-they grow so fast Sad

shoy18

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 8:54 am
what exactly is safe co-sleeping? is that with a co-sleeper only? we have to define what is safe when co-sleeping so everyone understands it.

Here are the statistics
"42%of deaths were determined to be the result of the infant getting wedged between the mattress and a wall; 43% were due to wedging between the mattress and headboard or footboard. Eight percent were due to strangulation when the infant was entrapped at the neck between the railings of a headboard or footboard. And 7% were caused by entrapment between the mattress and an adjacent piece of furniture. Eight deaths occurred due to bed rails, the portable railings that can be installed on toddler or adult beds to keep occupants from falling out. Studies show an infant can become entrapped between the rail and mattress. An infant is particularly at risk in an adult bed because its head represents 8% to 10% of its total body weight, and weak neck muscles make it difficult to move. Asphyxia can also occur if the infant's neck is pressed against a bed frame or railing. The blood vessels in the neck are very vulnerable to compression. The authors stated that as little as 4.4 pounds of pressure can arrest blood flow in an infant's neck. . In another analysis published in May, a researcher at the Center for Injury Research and Policy, Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, examined suffocation deaths of infants under 13 months of age and found that plastic bags placed over the head by babies playing with the bags and wedging between a bed or mattress or wall were the major causes of suffocation. Those researchers also said bed sharing should be discouraged"

in a crib these problems arent usually of relavence.

timeout

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 10:00 am
The baby was smothered by the mother! Wether she was well or so exausted from taking care of the baby I couldn't tell you.

I used a co-sleeper that my sister purchased for me, it worked very well baby was next to me but not in bed, than I gave it to my sister in law and my baby is in the big crib and sometimes for short periods of time in my bed.

hisorerus

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 10:21 am
I would think that those "co-sleepers" are more dangerous, because it just gives more space for a child to be wedged (between co-sleeper and bed).

All of those risks can be avoided by using a bed without a headboard, moving the bed farther from the wall, and not using a bed rail.

timeout

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 10:28 am
Actually the co-sleeper attached to my bed no space at all.

hisorerus

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 10:31 am
Most headboards attach to the bed with no space at all also...

shoy18

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 10:34 am
hisorerus wrote:
All of those risks can be avoided by using a bed without a headboard, moving the bed farther from the wall, and not using a bed rail.

you may very well be correct, then what is considered safe co-sleeping? I have nothing against those who do it. I just want to understand what are the safety precautions taken while co-sleeping. do you use very thin blankets on yourself?
where exactly do you put your baby? between you and a wall? between you and the other side of the bed? how are either of those safe? Please I would like to understand? this is NOT an attack.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics