Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What to do with rose water?

spinkles

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 2:32 pm
I bought some on a whim but don't know what to use it for. I once had baklava made with rose water that was great, so maybe I'll try that. Any other things rose water is good in?

sheaz

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 2:34 pm
Delicious in tea (I like a few drops in sweet mint tea)

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 2:54 pm
Reyna Simnegar paints it onto a cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ie-zUQm3p0

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 4:30 pm
- add to rice pudding (or almost any creamy dessert)
- add to jello
- add a few drops to hot water, almost like herbal tea
- make all-purpose syrup with sugar, water, rose syrup (keeps for months if refrigerated in a jar,
all purpose sweetener on pancakes, waffles, also on baklava etc)
- add to poached apples (this is a MUST for our rosh hashana table)
- add to water for ironing (as in linen water)
- natural fragrance (esp for babies, small children or for rooms)

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 4:41 pm
It's used in many Syrian recipes. My husband all uses it for besamim. I get nauseous from the smell.

Smiling Wife

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 5:11 pm
also my mom made me drink it whenever I had an upset tummy, I hated it but oh well maybe it worked?

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 7:14 pm
I hear it's good for the skin - it helps keep in the moisture

also if you make iced tea along with raw wildflower honey - it's deliciouso

bamamama

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 7:32 pm
Does it need a hechsher?

ntm1

Post Mon, Apr 15 2013, 8:37 pm
I use it on my face- when I had my twins the baby nurse suggested that it's good for the skin- so I use it all the time.. I guess it helps.

Smiling Wife

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 6:45 am
bamamama I d assume it does, growing up I didn't keep kosher but my mom always knew how to find out if the rose water was "real" or fake" it is very easy to make "fake "rose water with some essence that smells like rose water but isn't... depending where you live also ... if it is imported I would def get one with hechsher if used for eating

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 7:30 am
I asked a Sephardi dayan and was told that rose water is produced through distilling water where rose petal was soaked, it is essence/flavouring and does not need hechsher. He did also note that it is better to buy something produced in muslim country because you can be sure they don't use alcohol during the production process. I've seen rose water on kosher shop shelves here, but they don't carry hechsher.

Paris Beth Din list also lists all brands of rosewater as permitted.

spinkles

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 9:24 am
Great suggestions here--thanks so much! Off to experiment....

masalapeanuts

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 1:38 pm
Make mahlabi (mediterranean rose-scented pudding)!!!!

This is an amazing recipe from Sweet Secrets by Carine Goren (trans. Tamar Fox and Nancy Ashmoz, pg. 16, 2010)

4 cups whole milk
3/4 cup cornstarch
3 tbsp rose water (not extract)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar

to serve:
1/2 tsp cinnamo
1 cup strawberries, quartered
2 tbsp toasted pistachios, roughly chopped
1/4 cup honey

1. Pour 1.5 cups milk into bowl. Add cornstarch and rose water and mix until smooth and lump-free. Start mixing with a spoon, then use your fingers to dissolve any remaining cornstarch lumps.
2. Pour the remaining milk into a large saucepan. Add the cream and sugar and slowly bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the milk and cornstarch mixture to the saucepan and whisk constantly until the mixture thickens and boils (happens within a minute). As soon as it comes toa boil, remove from heat, pour into the bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
4. Cool thoroughly. Refrigerate for at least four hours until the mahlabi is very cold and fairly firm.
5. Turn the bowl over onto a serving tray and tap lightly- the mahlabi will slide out easily. Sprinkle cinnamon, arrange the strawberries around and place a mound of pistachios on top. Drizzle with honey and serve.

Here is a note that is written with the recipe: "The original mahlabi syrup is simply raspberry concentrate...I find the flavor too dominant and prefer a milder syrup. bring 1 cup water and 1.5 cups of sugar t oa boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon rose water and 2 tablespoons raspberry concentrate (mostly for color). Cool and refrigerate until ready to use."

spinkles

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 7:44 pm
That sounds incredible. Thanks so much for the recipe!

bamamama

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 8:05 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I asked a Sephardi dayan and was told that rose water is produced through distilling water where rose petal was soaked, it is essence/flavouring and does not need hechsher. He did also note that it is better to buy something produced in muslim country because you can be sure they don't use alcohol during the production process. I've seen rose water on kosher shop shelves here, but they don't carry hechsher.

Paris Beth Din list also lists all brands of rosewater as permitted.

Thanks! The only place to get it around here is at a Middle Eastern grocery, AFAIK. I'm sure the only brands they have are made in Muslim countries.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics