Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby needs surgery and I'm petrified
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:26 pm
Ill help you change your perspective.

My DH was born with this condition and it was never fixed. He has difficulty peeing in bowl because of the location of the hole. One of the many reasons I hate my MIL. Funny thing is DH was told he was born with bris mila and every doctor that has seen his private as an adult told him his bris wasnt done right. No one noticed. Not even his pediatrician? My DH refuses to talk to anyone about it. There is no way for me to discuss any of this with MIL. I have so many questions.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:51 pm
DH is a mohel, and he's trained with some of the top urologists in Europe. He says that this particular procedure is extremely common, and that the average doctor can do it in his/her sleep. DH says it's about as serious as getting your tonsils out - meaning that of course nothing is 100% fool proof, but that it's quite routine.

miky72

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 10:31 am
My son also had this condition and Dr Schlussel did the surgery.
he is doing very well and we were very happy with dr Schlussel care.In our case he actually advised against doing the Bris first (I guess it depends on the severity of the condition)and our Rav was OK with it.
Dr Schlussel himself did the bracha during the surgery ;-)
Just be prepared that it is unite a long surgery ,it lasted more that 2 hours with our son.
refua shlema!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 10:36 am
My 3 year old was also born with hypospadias. We used Doctor Steven Friedman from pediatric urology and were very happy. My son had the procedure at around 8 months and then a hypospadias repair at 13 months. I can really understand your nerves..its hard to put your baby under anesthesia. My son came home with a catheter for a week and that was the hardest part. They give you Tylenol with codeine and that helps the pain but every diaper change was an ordeal and he had a hard time sitting. Once the catheter was removed he was totally back to his cheerful self. I wish you much hatzlocha! One thing the anesthesiologist told us that was comforting was that my baby got sthing called a caudal (spelling?) which he described as being very similar to an epidural and he reassured us the baby wont feel pain. Depending how old your baby is, one parent can be in the room when they put the baby out. my husband went as I couldn't handle it!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 10:40 am
Yup, every case is different. When dr Schlussel said we could do the bris it's because he didn't need as much extra skin to reconstruct the urethra because my son's case was not so bad (in fact my pediatrician said he'll just adjust when aiming in a toilet Wink). Schlussel spoke to the mohel about how much he skin he should leave in case it was needed in surgery.

The reason we did the surgery is whenever I changed his diaper his stream would always go sideways and hit the wall. Dr Schlussel felt that it was more than a cosmetic thing.

justcallmeima

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 10:50 am
My son had a similar issue. I had the top surgeon and bh it went extremely well. They are so experienced. They do this all the time. Your child will be fine. Tracht gut s' vet zein gut. The Lubavitcher Rebbe told us this all the time. Try to focus on a positive outcome and that will become the reality.

annasday7

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 3:42 pm
Thank you everyone for sharing and responding! I will look into Dr. Schlussel. Also, if I go see him do I need let my Rav speak to him? Do you think he.is better than Dr . Stock? If any of you know him.

annasday7

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 3:52 pm
Thank you everyone for sharing and responding! BH I will look into Dr. Schlussel. Also, if I go see him do I need let my Rav speak to him? Do you think he.is better than Dr . Stock? If any of you know him.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 4:39 pm
I used Dr Reda at Westchester Medical and was very very happy. My baby was a day old and he came highly recommended.

My friend is an adult Urologist and he recommended Dr. Stock but I couldnt use him because of insurance.

Hatzlocha

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 7:00 pm
My son was under Dr. Glassberg's care for another urological issue, until he retired last June. Before he retired, he recommended that we continue his care with either of the following urologists. I don't know whether his recommendations were case-specific, or if he would've recommended them for any urological issue. but here we go:

Dr. Horowitz from Staten Island University
Dr. Friedman from Maimonides Medical Center
Dr. Casale from Columbia
Dr. Lambert from Columbia

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 7:06 pm
We used Dr stock from mount sinai and I would recommend him. He knows his stuff and answers all your questions
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics