Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby needs surgery and I'm petrified
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 8:15 pm
My son was born with a condition called hypo spadius. Basically he doesn't urinate from the hole that hes meant to, instead he urinates from a different tiny hole that he has that is close to the real one. Beside that his penia is a drop curved so it also needs to be fixed. He is scheduled for next week iyh and I am extremely nervous. I seriously don't know if I can handle this.
Does anyone have experience with this? I need chizzuk!
Thanks in advance

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 8:39 pm
Tons of hugs. Refuah Shleima.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 9:02 pm
I do not have any experience with the condition that your baby was born with. I do however have experience with babies in surgery.

My 5.5 yr. old son had emergency hernia surgery when he was barely 3 months old, and weighing only 9 lbs.

My 17 month old baby had tubes inserted in his ears and had his testicles descended last week. He is B"H recovering now finally. It was quite a major procedure, where he was in surgery for 3 hrs.

My blessings to a mazal'diga results, this passes, I promise. I hope you have an easy recovery w/ your baby.

Sherri

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 12:44 pm
I don't have any advice to you, I hope others who have been through something like this can provide that for you.

May the doctors who operate on him and all the caregivers be proper shlichim and may he have a refuah shelaima!

Undefined

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 12:50 pm
I have a friend whose son had this procedure. All went well and he healed quickly. Refuah Shleimah!!

happy1234

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 1:34 pm
Hi, my son had that surgery performed about 2 months ago and bh he is perfectly fine. The procedure takes sometime so bring something to do and my son was very groggy and cranky when he woke up. Bring plain water in bottle for when he wakes up. If you have any other questions message me.

Ashrei

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 3:49 pm
My son had 4 surgeries before he was 2 months (neurosurgery brain and spine type stuff) and another 2 surgeries before he was a year. We learned to appreciate that these doctors do this major stuff all the time. Dr. Glassberg is one of my son's urologists, and on this webpage, he lists a ton of urologically related disorders that his practice treats frequently.

http://columbiaurology.org/abo......html

These doctors educate, train, and prepare for things just like your son's surgery!

I'm sure the surgery will go very smoothly, with a very favorable outcome!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 6:25 pm
I'm the op of the following thread:
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....adias

My baby had surgery that year around his first birthday. I was allowed in while they put him to sleep. That was hard to see! He woke up very cranky which is normal. It took a good 15 minutes until he was ready to nurse to calm down. They offered to give him some more pain meds but suggested we wait instead. So we listened. The surgery and that first day went smoothly.

The recovery was harder. The stent they placed meant every diaper change had pee shooting straight on me! Though it was nice to see the stream straight instead of angled. The last two days he was miserable with the stent - I guess it can cause spasms down there.

Literally the minute the doctor took the stent out at the follow up, he stopped crying and thank G-d became my happy baby again! Things look good now but we need to go back when he is potty trained so they can make sure all is as it should be.

Lovelymom1

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 9:43 pm
Thank you all for your responses. I'm feeling a little bit at ease. Can't wait for it to be over.

ElTam

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 9:52 pm
Hugs, your baby should have a refuah sheleima!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 6:39 am
Lots of hugs to both of you, refua shlema to him and lots of love and strength to you Heart
Ask for all the help you can get.

calaflower

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 6:43 am
Refuah Shelaimah!

annasday7

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:10 am
Hi everyone. Can you ladies please suggest pediatric urologists you used to repair your son's hypospadias and who was your Rav that you consulted with. Thank you so much!

studying_torah

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:14 am
Hugs to you and refuah shelaima to your baby! May the dr be the right shaliach and the surgery and recovery should go easily !!

annasday7

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:19 am
Hi everyone. Can anyone please suggest a good pediatric urologist who repaired your sons' hypospadias and who was your Rav within you consulted? Thank you so much!

Books

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:29 am
We used Dr. Glassberg at Columbia (I think he has retired, though). My son had the exact same issue - hypospadius with a chordee. It was very scary for me too, but after the procedure I was so amazed at how quickly he recovered!
He needed to have 2 procedures, the first at 9 months, and then the second about a year later. At the first surgery, only one of us was allowed to go in with the baby to the operating room to see him being put under because the mohel was going in too, so my husband went in with him (I didn't want to see him go under.) When he woke up he was a little cranky because he didn't like all the tubes, but once we brought him home (that very day!) he was already much better. I gave him the tylenol with codeine that the doctor prescribed as a pain killer that afternoon and he slept well. The next morning, he was not complaining at all and did not even need regular tylenol. It was truly amazing.
After the second surgery we had a similar thing, that day we took him home and he was acting fine, b"H. We took him to the park, he was walking around like usual. We may have pushed him a little too much because the next day we tried to take him to the zoo and he was cranky. The 2nd day after surgery, though, he was his usual smiley self again.
Now my son is 2 1/2, b"H it's all behind us and he's just fine.
I hope your son's procedure goes well! Please feel free to PM me if there's anything I can be of help with!

boysrus

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:34 am
hatzlacha, oP
hope th surgery goes smoothly. thinking of you.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 3:17 pm
My son had it done when he was 6 months old he is 14 yrs old now and he is fine. I know surgery is scarey but it is a fairly simple op. I used Dr Burbige but I am sure he is retired by now. For my other son I used someone in Westchester who was great dont remember his name but if I hear it I will remember.
Ask your mohel who he recommends they usually know the good doctors.
Hatzlacha, I know it is hard but it is a common surgery.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 4:31 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the op of the following thread:
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....adias

My baby had surgery that year around his first birthday. I was allowed in while they put him to sleep. That was hard to see! He woke up very cranky which is normal. It took a good 15 minutes until he was ready to nurse to calm down. They offered to give him some more pain meds but suggested we wait instead. So we listened. The surgery and that first day went smoothly.

The recovery was harder. The stent they placed meant every diaper change had pee shooting straight on me! Though it was nice to see the stream straight instead of angled. The last two days he was miserable with the stent - I guess it can cause spasms down there.

Literally the minute the doctor took the stent out at the follow up, he stopped crying and thank G-d became my happy baby again! Things look good now but we need to go back when he is potty trained so they can make sure all is as it should be.

I'm this amother! We used dr Schlussel who you can search for...he's mentioned on this board several times. Thankfully, my son who is now three, just had his final follow up and is a proud dr Schlussel graduate! We only had the one surgery and both dr Schlussel and our pediatrician were very satisfied with the results. He had chordee and hypospadias but neither were that bad.

We only consulted with our rabbi about potentially postponing the bris but Dr Schlussel was confident after talking to the mohel that we could go ahead with it. It was modified with the instruments they used and needed a very experienced mohel. Never consulted with a rabbi about my son's medical care after that initial week.

annasday7

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:15 pm
Thank you everyone for your responses. I appreciate it. I would be glad to hear more stories and suggestions.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics