Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Thinking about a "disagree" button
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 8:19 am
naomi2 wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
naomi2 wrote:
the issue is, it's easy to agree but takes more effort to disagree. so many ppl just won't say anything. then it looks like almost everyone agrees when it is not the case.
also, I don't see how it could lead to bullying. I think it would lessen bullying because there is no way to do it nastily by clicking the button. OTOH, when you write a post disagreeing with the op there are many chances to bully and be nasty.
disagree doesn't mean "I think you are dumb/rude" it just means disagree- are your feelings hurt when someone says " I disagree" ?
the button would just make it easier to disagree.

If someone is in effect saying, "I disagree," I think the OP should have a right to know why.
A person can like a post for many reasons but still, when one sees a like one thinks, others think like me.
So a disagree button is, others don't think like me. In which way?
why does a poster have a right to know why someone disagrees?

I hope someone else expands on this, I'm running out soon and don't have time to think it through. But for starters, saying "I don't like what you said," anonymously late, seems to fall under the rubric of ona'as devorim.

intrigued

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 8:27 am
I think it will only work if it has real names like by facebook.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 9:40 am
intrigued wrote:
I think it will only work if it has real names like by facebook.

It might work but I hope that if Yael seriously considers this she ask a shaila or eitza first.

naomi2

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 10:10 am
I really don't see the big deal. someone disagrees with me-I'll move on.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 10:23 am
Sherri wrote:
Quoting what I said about this on another thread.
Quote:
I think a dislike button could make life here pretty ugly.

If you disagree with someone, work a little bit to articulate your views and actually formulate a response. This contributes to what we call "dialogue".

And what Hashem_Yaazor added.
Quote:
Completely agree, Sherri.

To agree with something, you don't need to necessarily add on anything of value.
To disagree with something, you need to explain what it is that you believe is wrong with a post. Otherwise, it leads to hurt feelings for no reason.

Thanks for quoting me -- I was just about to rewrite this!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 10:29 am
I don't care if it takes effort to disagree. It takes effort to type. If you don't want to put in the effort, why are you on the forum? I don't think silence means people agree, especially if there are no likes.

If you disagree with something, don't you feel like you can help someone change her mind (as if Wink) when you explain what it is she said wrong?

Why is it important for you to make a point of disagreeing? I would think if it matters that much to show silence is not agreement, you would want to say how incredibly wrong the post was, or maybe just the 1 point that is wrong. This helps the poster re-evaluate her opinion and either come to agreement with you or become firmer in her stance. Disagreeing without explaining is pointless.

If I said the sky is blue, and you said disagree, I wouldn't know how to re-evaluate what I said. Is it really red? Gray? Did you disagree because it's not blue everywhere, and I should have qualified my original claim? I would ignore (maybe be offended) if I got disagreements with no explanation. I took the time and effort to make an original post, the least you can do to validate your position is give a brief reasoning why.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 10:31 am
(To add, while I am perfectly fine with the like button not needing qualification, I do admit I many times see I have likes, and I have no idea what the like is for. It might be for a single point in my post, the entire post, the writing style of my post...if I knew, it would help me gauge my audience, but I don't care all that much because it's not like this is my personal blog Smile)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics