Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Thinking about a "disagree" button
1  2  Next

naomi2

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 10:17 pm
Now I'm only thinking about it because I guess it could kinda hurt peoples feelings. But, sometimes I come across a post or comment, that really rubs me the wrong way, or I feel is totally against jewish values and I feel like letting everyone know that I disagree. I think the "like" button is great but sometimes when I see a comment that I don't agree with have so many likes, I wonder how many people also disagreed but didn't want to quote it and write whole new post and be branded as the "disagreer". basically, I think the fact that we have a "like" button and no disagree button skews the opinion of all amothers as a whole.
so, what do you think?

nyer1

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 10:18 pm
TOTALLY agree!

mochacoffee

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 10:20 pm
Cute idea!

Eemaof3

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 10:44 pm
Great idea!

shanie5

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 11:33 pm
While I understand where you are coming from, I think a disagree button can be nasty and cause hurt feelings. Though I would probably use it for certain posts too.

superana

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 11:39 pm
What's wrong with disagreeing with someone? We all have different opinions/thought processes so its perfectly natural to not agree with everyone. Can you imagine what the world would look like if we all think/act the same way? There would be no drama, no excitement... the world would be sooo boring then you'd wish that you would have someone to argue with LOL

bamamama

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 11:40 pm
On most threads where imamothers disagree, there are usually several posts representing the different opinions - feel free to "like" the one you agree with.

lavender_dew

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 11:44 pm
I'd rather see a "disagree" button than a lot of the snarky comments I've seen lately!

mirror

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 11:46 pm
lavender_dew wrote:
I'd rather see a "disagree" button than a lot of the snarky comments I've seen lately!

I don't think it will prevent the snarky comments.

lavender_dew

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 11:53 pm
I don't think it would stop snarky comments either, just sayin'... I'd rather see a simple "dislike"! But I guess then some of the threads would start getting a little dull.

Sherri

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 12:06 am
Quoting what I said about this on another thread.
Quote:
I think a dislike button could make life here pretty ugly.

If you disagree with someone, work a little bit to articulate your views and actually formulate a response. This contributes to what we call "dialogue".

And what Hashem_Yaazor added.
Quote:
Completely agree, Sherri.

To agree with something, you don't need to necessarily add on anything of value.
To disagree with something, you need to explain what it is that you believe is wrong with a post. Otherwise, it leads to hurt feelings for no reason.

mirror

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 12:37 am
lavender_dew wrote:
I don't think it would stop snarky comments either, just sayin'... I'd rather see a simple "dislike"! But I guess then some of the threads would start getting a little dull.

I prefer dull over the snarky comments.

I've posted as amother (I'm sure everyone has at one point or another). I posted a problem I was going through and one woman totally destroyed me for no reason. It was pure evil. Twisted Evil

Unfortunately, women who are out to destroy others to make themselves feel good don't get kicked off this site.

I am much more careful about what I reveal, even as amother, because I know this woman lurks with the sole intention of making herself feel good. Rolling Eyes

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 4:38 pm
bamamama wrote:
On most threads where imamothers disagree, there are usually several posts representing the different opinions - feel free to "like" the one you agree with.

I'm with bamamama. When someone "likes" a post they're saying, I agree, ditto, or you beat me to it, basically saying, yup. When one disagrees one isn't explaining why, and doing it anonymously to boot. Not polite. If you disagree, chime in and school us. Please.

cm

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 4:44 pm
Anyone else here on Ravelry? The "disagree" option doesn't bring out the best in people.

The other options they have include: educational, interesting, funny, agree and love.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 4:49 pm
It would lead to bullying. Terrible idea.

rachel91

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 4:57 pm
There is no need for it, each time someone really disagrees with a post, she will surely quote it and let the person know that she disagrees!! Second of all, it wouldn't be nice.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 5:15 pm
I totally disagree with the OP's suggestion. If you disagree with someone's view, state as such and why.
Just clicking a disagree button is an easy cop-out for immature posters who are not capable of stating her views and supporting them. Let's keep the dialogue and discussion going.

naomi2

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 11:50 am
the issue is, it's easy to agree but takes more effort to disagree. so many ppl just won't say anything. then it looks like almost everyone agrees when it is not the case.
also, I don't see how it could lead to bullying. I think it would lessen bullying because there is no way to do it nastily by clicking the button. OTOH, when you write a post disagreeing with the op there are many chances to bully and be nasty.
disagree doesn't mean "I think you are dumb/rude" it just means disagree- are your feelings hurt when someone says " I disagree" ?
the button would just make it easier to disagree.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 4:37 pm
naomi2 wrote:
the issue is, it's easy to agree but takes more effort to disagree. so many ppl just won't say anything. then it looks like almost everyone agrees when it is not the case.
also, I don't see how it could lead to bullying. I think it would lessen bullying because there is no way to do it nastily by clicking the button. OTOH, when you write a post disagreeing with the op there are many chances to bully and be nasty.
disagree doesn't mean "I think you are dumb/rude" it just means disagree- are your feelings hurt when someone says " I disagree" ?

If someone is in effect saying, "I disagree," I think the OP should have a right to know why.
A person can like a post for many reasons but still, when one sees a like one thinks, others think like me.
So a disagree button is, others don't think like me. In which way?

naomi2

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 9:07 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
naomi2 wrote:

If someone is in effect saying, "I disagree," I think the OP should have a right to know why.
A person can like a post for many reasons but still, when one sees a like one thinks, others think like me.
So a disagree button is, others don't think like me. In which way?
why does a poster have a right to know why someone disagrees?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics