Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Low cost alternate to cream cheese in cheese cake

little_mage

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 5:42 am
I want to make a cheese cake, but cream cheese is really expensive. Anyone have any thing I can substitute that's a lower cost, or an alternate recipe that doesn't involve so much cream cheese? We keep CY, if that matters. Thanks!

CatLady

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 6:34 am
Have you thought of using tofu instead? There are tons of recipes for tofu cheesecakes, and it's much, much less expensive than cream cheese. I can get a pound of tofu for <$2.00 vs. $7.00 for the same weight of cream cheese, but then again, Canadian dairy prices are through the roof!

thanks

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 7:45 am
The bakeries/commercial cheesecakes have loads of shortening and margarine to save on the cost. (Not something I would do, but I must admit, I do like to eat storebought cheesecakes.)

yamz

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 9:32 am
You can make cheesecake using ricotta or cottage cheese.
If it's available, you can try using Tofutti pareve cream cheese.
Another option is to bake a cheesecake in a pre-made graham cracker crust. Those crusts are quite shallow, so you shouldn't need more than one package of cream cheese to make a batter that will fill the crust.

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 9:45 am
1/2 cream cheese 1/2 farmer's cheese

but most cheeses are expensive ... unless you buy your own cow ~ MOO !!!

little_mage

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 10:55 am
Catlady-thanks. I just googled, but all the recipes I'm finding are vegan. I might try going half and half though.
Thanks-I didn't know that. Butter and margarine are almost as expensive, although shortening might be cheaper.
Greenfire-Farmer's cheese is a good idea, assuming it's actually cheaper. I'll have to run the numbers when I get to the store. As for buying my own cow, I've actually done some cheese making, but the results were only so-so. Therefore, the experiment is on hold for a while.
Thanks for all the advice!

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 12:02 pm
I use farmers cheese since that is all I can get. makes awesome cheesecake. But I don't know if it is exactly the same as american farmers cheese.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics